Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spectacles

Hi folks,

I currently wear contact lenses when I play snooker as I find it difficult to play wearing my everyday varifocals.

The contact lenses that I use are 'Daily Disposables' and can sometimes feel a little uncomfortable. I am therefore considering getting myself a pair of 'Dennis Taylor' type glasses. I notice that there are a number of on-line outlets that supply these and, I am wondering if any members have used any of them and what are their experiences and are there any particular recommendations.

Many thanks.

A slight drift perhaps, but for what its worth...I wore Dailies for a while and found my eyes got quite dry when playing.

However I then got laser surgery and the difference was immense...its sort of like switching the world to HD, if you haven't yet considered it I would thoroughly recommend that as an option (if you are able to do so of course, it isn't for everyone).

Comment

Contact chrischesireopticians.co.uk.

I got my specs from him, they give me better vision than my daily contacts did. One thing you need to know is that the angle of the lenses when down in the stance is critical for good vision; he will ask for two photos of you in your stance, one from directly in front so he can see where between your eyes you place your cue, and one from the side so he can determine the correct angle the lenses need to be.

Mine cost me £250, expensive but worth it.

Comment

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
        Hi folks,

I currently wear contact lenses when I play snooker as I find it difficult to play wearing my everyday varifocals.

The contact lenses that I use are 'Daily Disposables' and can sometimes feel a little uncomfortable. I am therefore considering getting myself a pair of 'Dennis Taylor' type glasses. I notice that there are a number of on-line outlets that supply these and, I am wondering if any members have used any of them and what are their experiences and are there any particular recommendations.

Many thanks.
        Daysoft silk are good value but again, don't wear them for more than a few hours of snooker. Snooker, the lights, heat, eye movement and focusing, all seems to dry up contact lenses. I think the max on these is about eight hours from experience before they start drying up. Other people may get more hours out of them.

Glasses are not a Utopian answer. You'll be forever cleaning them, adjusting them, taking them off, putting them back on. I have some with double hinges and you can set them for one shot but they won't be ideal for every shot, so you have to adjust them again. The other thing is that glasses distort what you see much more than contacts and this can lead to misses particularly if the balls are close together. But they are good, for example if you get an eye infection and can't wear contacts, or you feel you need to give contacts a rest for a bit. So my advice would be have both. Wear contacts for your matches, glasses for practice. This will give your eyes a rest and save you money.
        Last edited by Big Splash!; 8 October 2016, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks chaps for the interesting replies. My game isn't good enough to warrant spending £250.00 on a pair of glasses.

I will almost certainly buy a pair but will also keep some contacts handy as suggested by Big splash.

I have found recently that my eyes feel very dry at times (same as vjmehra at #2 above) and so I think that an occasional break from contacts will probably help. When I had my eyes tested last January, the optician told me that I do have cataracts forming but that they were not bad enough to warrant being removed at this time. I am wondering if I might gain anything if I went private, depending on cost of course.

Comment

Try using some eye drops. I had a dry eye/inflamation problem which contacts contacts made worse, bought the glasses but couldn't get on with them. Went to my consultant and he recommended these eye drops. They are non steroid. Put a drop in a few mins before putting the contacts in then again after. Haven't had a problem since.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HYLO-FORTE-...rds=hylo+forte

Comment

Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
              A slight drift perhaps, but for what its worth...I wore Dailies for a while and found my eyes got quite dry when playing.

However I then got laser surgery and the difference was immense...its sort of like switching the world to HD, if you haven't yet considered it I would thoroughly recommend that as an option (if you are able to do so of course, it isn't for everyone).
              How much is lasik?

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
                Try using some eye drops. I had a dry eye/inflamation problem which contacts contacts made worse, bought the glasses but couldn't get on with them. Went to my consultant and he recommended these eye drops. They are non steroid. Put a drop in a few mins before putting the contacts in then again after. Haven't had a problem since.

A friend with dry eye problems gave me a bottle of this. Its 10 times better than the crap you can buy off the shelves at high street stores.

Comment

Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post

Thanks for this RogiBear, some good reviews of it on the Amazon site. I will give it a go. Many thanks again.

Comment

You can also use sterile water of medical standard to lubricate.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
                      How much is lasik?
                      Good question, I think it varies massively TBH depending on where you go, but something like 1.5k - 3k (for both eyes).

The cost may put some people off....but weigh that up against contacts/glasses for a few years and it starts to make good financial sense (and that's overlooking the quality of life aspect)!

The biggest downside I've found is dry eyes and a bit of a halo effect with bright lights at night sometimes.

Comment

Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
                        Good question, I think it varies massively TBH depending on where you go, but something like 1.5k - 3k (for both eyes).

The cost may put some people off....but weigh that up against contacts/glasses for a few years and it starts to make good financial sense (and that's overlooking the quality of life aspect)!

The biggest downside I've found is dry eyes and a bit of a halo effect with bright lights at night sometimes.
                        But doesn't it need redoing, or at least become less effective over time? I don't think it's a permanent fix?

Comment

Depending on the person, their prescription and what method of treatment; but eyes will always change and hence the prescription, and also the affects of aging will change the prescription, so laser treatment is not permanent but can reset the starting point for the future changes. Any consultant you see will (should) say this as well.
                          Not sure if you can have multiple treatments?
                          My brother has laser treatment some years ago as he has had very strong prescription glasses for many many years. He still needed reading glasses from the start and he is now looking to get distance ones as well but they are at a low prescription that he is happy with them - he never had such a low prescription ever
                          This is a major decision for anyone to make and must be purely down to personal circumstances and reasons.
                          I personally wear glasses and have done for many years, I did try contacts (softs) many years ago when I was in the industry but I never got used to them. Luckily my prescription is nothing like my brother's so I am happy wearing glasses and I am used to them when playing cue sports
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

My wife was keen to rid herself of glasses but at the end of the initial consultation she was told that she was not a suitable candidate for the treatment. She was very disappointed but as I keep telling her, she looks great in specs, as do many ladies.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                              Depending on the person, their prescription and what method of treatment; but eyes will always change and hence the prescription, and also the affects of aging will change the prescription, so laser treatment is not permanent but can reset the starting point for the future changes. Any consultant you see will (should) say this as well.
                              Not sure if you can have multiple treatments?
                              My brother has laser treatment some years ago as he has had very strong prescription glasses for many many years. He still needed reading glasses from the start and he is now looking to get distance ones as well but they are at a low prescription that he is happy with them - he never had such a low prescription ever
                              This is a major decision for anyone to make and must be purely down to personal circumstances and reasons.
                              I personally wear glasses and have done for many years, I did try contacts (softs) many years ago when I was in the industry but I never got used to them. Luckily my prescription is nothing like my brother's so I am happy wearing glasses and I am used to them when playing cue sports
                              Exactly, no one can say for sure it's permanent and it depends what they are trying to fix. For me it was shortsightedness and as people (typically) get more long sighted as they get older it made sense.

Ignoring the physical aspects, which will be different for everyone. One key decision for me was, pay a lump sum now, but save a few hundred each year on glasses/contacts. Financially it actually seemed to make good sense!

Comment

Working...
                              X