2 Free Ball Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your reply.

That's not quite what I'm asking. I'm asking if a player is allowed to ask the referee if a specific shot is a foul or not.

I know a player is allowed to ask what colour is what because Joe swail had to ask often, and I know a players isn't allowed to ask if a colour spots, or if a ball will pot. But is a player allowed to ask, for example, "if I nominate pink as free ball can I use it to pot the red?".

I know the answer to such a question, but if refereeing a club match and a player was to ask me, am I allowed to give the answer?

Comment

Originally Posted by chae View Post
      Thanks for your reply.

That's not quite what I'm asking. I'm asking if a player is allowed to ask the referee if a specific shot is a foul or not.

I know a player is allowed to ask what colour is what because Joe swail had to ask often, and I know a players isn't allowed to ask if a colour spots, or if a ball will pot. But is a player allowed to ask, for example, "if I nominate pink as free ball can I use it to pot the red?".

I know the answer to such a question, but if refereeing a club match and a player was to ask me, am I allowed to give the answer?
      No problem my friend . Sorry I did'nt undrstand ur question .

normally, Dean shows up to give us a clue about this kind of questions. But at the moment, he sleeps , (dreaming about making a 147).

So I'm gonna give it a try to answer ur question .
      if the player is sum how physical limited .( Example: Peter Ebdon. he is colorblind. it may be difficult for him to distinguish colors ).
      in this case, he can ask Ref, which one is brown.
      But he is NOT allowd to ask the Ref which one should I take after potting the green.
      in other words, the player needs to know the rules. and is Not allowd to ask the rules from Ref. (Unles I'm wrong, of course).

Is this okey?
      Any question, feel free to ask .
      Last edited by Ramon; 24 November 2016, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by chae View Post
        Is a player allowed to ask the referee a rules question prior to playing their shot?
        Here's the rules for what a referee can and can't do.

SECTION 5 THE OFFICIALS

1. The Referee

(a) The referee shall:
        (i) be the sole judge of fair and unfair play;
        (ii) be free to make a decision in the interests of fair play for any situation
        not covered adequately by these Rules;
        (iii) be responsible for the proper conduct of the game under these Rules;
        (iv) intervene if he sees any infringement of these Rules;
        (v) tell a player the colour of a ball if requested; and
        (vi) clean any ball upon reasonable request by a player.
        (b) The referee shall not:
        (i) answer any question not authorised in these Rules;
        (ii) give any indication that a player is about to make a foul
        stroke;
        (iii) give any advice or opinion on points affecting play; nor
        (iv) answer any question regarding the difference in scores.
        (c) If the referee has failed to notice any incident, he may at his discretion take the evidence of the marker or other officials or spectators best placed for the observation or may view a camera/video recording of the incident to assist his decision.

Comment

147 - in my sleep, always!

A player can ask the referee anything about the rules, the referee is the one that is restricted as to what they reply

As said before, the referee can assist a player with a disability (such as colourblindness, etc.) according to their abilities.
          If the player asked "if I do this will that be a foul?" the referee can not answer, just request the player to continue their turn.
          In the main a referee can respond to a "past" event ("what did I just pot?"), but can not respond to a future event "what if I do...?" A question of "now" is a bit more variable, "what is my score" the referee can say his score, "how much am I behind?" the referee will say the score as it stands but not the difference. The referee's response should in no manner give an advantage to one player over another, hence a future prediction would be so
          I do believe it is the responsibility of the player to know the rules of the game they play.
          Last edited by DeanH; 24 November 2016, 10:07 AM.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            147 - in my sleep, always!

A player can ask the referee anything about the rules, the referee is the one that is restricted as to what they reply

As said before, the referee can assist a player with a disability (such as colourblindness, etc.) according to their abilities.
            If the player asked "if I do this will that be a foul?" the referee can not answer, just request the player to continue their turn.
            In the main a referee can respond to a "past" event ("what did I just pot?"), but can not respond to a future event "what if I do...?" A question of "now" is a bit more variable, "what is my score" the referee can say his score, "how much am I behind?" the referee will say the score as it stands but not the difference. The referee's response should in no manner give an advantage to one player over another, hence a future prediction would be so
            I do believe it is the responsibility of the player to know the rules of the game they play.
            which i concider as a waste of time rules.
            I know that a player can ask anything ( good point btw ). But honstly , what's the use of it?
            the ref is not allowed to explain the rules. Player should know that imo.

anyway, thanks. excellent post again.
            just finished working . bedtime for me. gonna catch up few 147's.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
              which i concider as a waste of time rules.
              I know that a player can ask anything ( good point btw ). But honstly , what's the use of it?
              the ref is not allowed to explain the rules. Player should know that imo.

anyway, thanks. excellent post again.
              just finished working . bedtime for me. gonna catch up few 147's.
              "waste of time rules"
              that is why the players tend not to - how often do you see them asking about the rules, hardly ever
              - now arguing the ruling given after an incident - much more often

sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bit
              Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
              X