Concessions - just a thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concessions - just a thought

I know that a player can only offer his concession, his opponent doesn't have to accept it. Say if someone messes up a shot and starts pulling reds out of the pockets, but you don't accept his concession, do the reds stay where they are, or does the ref have to put the table back the way it was? Also if he takes his cue and rakes the balls across the table, what happens then? Or if you don't accept his concession, then you miss and he won't play his next shot, is that the match?

Good post and I'm sure there will be an official answer somewhere...

The raking of the balls with the cue across the table may be seen as ungentlemanly conduct and the referee may choose to dock the frame from the aggressor.

That said, what player wouldn't accept the concession? It's like a gimme :snooker:

Reminds me of this and always gives me the chuckles. It just gets better and better...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5gN6Fk_RS54
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Yeah I like that Drago moment, he's one of my favourite players, mainly because he's such a character.

But it's not a case of "who wouldn't accept the frame" maybe you want to annoy your opponent (maybe ungentlemanly, but not against the rules), maybe you'd like to make your highest ever frame score, maybe you just want to pot the rest of the balls. The point is, it's not up to your opponent when the frame will end.

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
        ....Reminds me of this and always gives me the chuckles. It just gets better and better...
        Re. the Drago thing, i was told something last night that i haven't heard mentioned before, apparently he was so upset because although Alan would probably have potted the blue anyway, he realised he would be fined for conceding whilst still enough points on the table to enable him to win !

Comment

I hope he didn't get fined. That would be an unnecessary headache for him

Comment

Good post and I'm sure there will be an official answer somewhere...

The raking of the balls with the cue across the table may be seen as ungentlemanly conduct and the referee may choose to dock the frame from the aggressor.

That said, what player wouldn't accept the concession? It's like a gimme :snooker:

Reminds me of this and always gives me the chuckles. It just gets better and better...

I think there was a misunderstanding by McManus there when the ref asked if he was happy to accept Tony's concession, i think he was waiting to hear retraction and agreed with the sentence regardless.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
              Yeah I like that Drago moment, he's one of my favourite players, mainly because he's such a character.

But it's not a case of "who wouldn't accept the frame" maybe you want to annoy your opponent (maybe ungentlemanly, but not against the rules), maybe you'd like to make your highest ever frame score, maybe you just want to pot the rest of the balls. The point is, it's not up to your opponent when the frame will end.
              All true points you make Jonny :snooker:
              National Snooker Expo
              25-27 October 2019

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                I think there was a misunderstanding by McManus there when the ref asked if he was happy to accept Tony's concession, i think he was waiting to hear retraction and agreed with the sentence regardless.
                Yeah, I think AMcM was put in an uncomfortable position albeit the correct one and would never had thought he would have to make such a decision in his career. Experience counts for everything. If offered again imo AMcM would grab it without hesitation, regret or any emotional feelings...
                National Snooker Expo
                25-27 October 2019

Comment

I'm just waiting for Dean or Londonlad to step in here. I think the question is basically, if someone does something that would normally end up in them being docked the frame, after they've already conceded it, what happens? Are they docked an extra frame?

Comment

Yeah, I think AMcM was put in an uncomfortable position albeit the correct one and would never had thought he would have to make such a decision in his career. Experience counts for everything. If offered again imo AMcM would grab it without hesitation, regret or any emotional feelings...
                    I thought Tony tried to retract his concession and Alan didn't accept. I don't think he can retract his concession anyway, that's why Alan didn't accept,

Comment

I thought Tony tried to retract his concession and Alan didn't accept. I don't think he can retract his concession anyway, that's why Alan didn't accept,
                      Not quite right, the referee for some strange reason asked him if he wanted to retract it, he shouldn't of even offered him that chance !!

Comment

TD did try to retract. Like I wrote before, it was a situation that AMcM had no previous experience which imo he looks a little embarrassed that he was put in the position of clarification by the referee. All said and done TD won't ever do that again in a match. Experience counts for everything
                        National Snooker Expo
                        25-27 October 2019

Comment

Concessions - just a thought

"maybe ungentlemanly, but not against the rules" - if the conduct is considered ungentlemanly by the referee then the behaviour is against the rules.
                          The steps for the above is firstly a warning or if very serious the frame awarded to the opponent. If conduct continues then further frame(s) or even the match can be awarded.
                          A concession that has been accepted can not be withdrawn, as has been said above the ref in the TD McM should not have done so - the ref was probably as shocked as McM

I the case where a player takes balls out of the pockets when a concession is not accepted then as long as no balls in play are affected - just a warning to not do so again and dead balls removed. If balls in play are affected then maybe a penalty (7) and balls replaced and dead balls removed. Not too sure.
                          As mentioned above why would a concession not be accepted
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Anything like that should be taken as a concession...

I played a match once where I needed to clear to the pink to win the frame, I potted a decent yellow and got good on the green with the blue awkward...

The guy undid his cue and it down so I walked straight round the table and shook his hand... and then started to rack em up for the next frame of the match where I was due to ref...

A hilariously tense silence followed

Comment

I don't see how not accepting a concession could be seen as ungentlemanly, especially if it has been offered in an ungentlemanly manner i.e raking the balls across the table with your cue.

Comment

Working...
                              X