Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will potting angles change with the use of stun, follow or screw?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In reply to the original post, the answer is no, it's the angle of the cue ball off the object ball that the player can change when striking up and down the vertical centre of the cue ball.

Sidespin is different.

As for biggie telling you you need to know what happens when balls collide, that might be beneficial to some, but really you need to see the result of the deviation of the cue ball after your attempt at sidespin and compensate for it.
    If you miss thin then aim thicker or vice versa until you get it right. Alex Higgins wasn't a physics major, but no one else played with side like he did.

Comment

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
      Just send a week listening to commentators at the UK's blustering about using side to 'turn the red over' or to 'make the potting angle' etc.

Penny will drop one day.
      Sure they don't know what's happening and use wrong terminology, but put a cue in their hands and they can do it, which is what matters.

Comment

But a gigantic LOL at someone who reckons he's had a 10 pack
        Would you like me to get my opponent to recount the day that's more important to you than it is to me on youtube?

and thinks he is level game with imran mahjid, Daryl peach and Mick Hill
        Played Imran once and smashed him to pieces. Daryl and Mick are far superior pool players to me. Both have beat me at pool more than I have beat them although I only ever played DP at 9 ball in a round robin where I won 4:1, lost 4:0 and 4:1 in our group. Winner breaks format saw me not get a visit following the lag in the 4:0

, not to mention multiple world champion Mike segal
        Never played him or met the man

, but doesn't know what happens when balls collide!
        The angle never changes. Your aiming changes when you use side to compensate for the white being thrown off the line of aim, a temporary swerve effect or something similar.

Stun, screw and follow... all hitting the middle of the ball so you should not be imparting side which means there is nothing to compensate for if you cue well enough. The angle of the pot is always the same unless the object ball has the ability to move?

If I draw a 90 degree angle on a piece of paper it is always 90 degrees... Just because I move the view of the angle or even the part of the pencil I use to draw it, the angle is still 90 degrees.

I hope this clears it up for you.
        Last edited by pottr; 8 December 2016, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I think you'll find Pottr actually posted on here once saying Mick Hill is a class above.
          Bigshot, you can't lambast people for wanting to block you or not wanting to listen to your posts when you randomly jump down the throat of forum members.
          If you aren't respectful don't expect others to show you respect.
          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Vmax pretty much nails what I am attempting to say.

I think pottr is right Mr. Big. In terms of real world physics maybe not, but as far as playing the game is concerned he is spot on.
            For sure if you did experiments you'd find that angles do change slightly as friction is different depending of stun, screw and follow, different speeds, different spins, cloth...etc. How does that help playing the game?
            Real player on real table need not fill his head with such unimportant information. Come on.
            With such clutter of information players head would explode. Snooker is hard enough. Not need to have paralysis by analysis.
            Remember, this is a snooker forum for snooker players, not physics majors.
            Exactly... I mean, snooker balls aren't actually round if you want to whip out the laser measuring devices but knowing that isn't applicable when you're trying to improve.

I have no idea why Big is so bitter? I like his banter, but every now and again he comes across a bit desperate which is funny... Happy to feed him.

Comment

I think you'll find Pottr actually posted on here once saying Mick Hill is a class above.
              He really is, Tom... He's quite humble with it too considering how good he is. You'll never hear me say a bad word about Mick or his game... apart from he's a short arse

Comment

Thanks for all your replies guys.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                  He really is, Tom... He's quite humble with it too considering how good he is. You'll never hear me say a bad word about Mick or his game... apart from he's a short arse
                  But would you beat him at snooker pottr?

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                    and his double-jointed fingers that freaked me out a bit when I played him
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

But would you beat him at snooker pottr?
                      It's funny you asked coz I actually did manage to play him at snooker before.

We were at the South Mids pool tour in Northampton or Kettering, some ****hole rileys and we were both dumped out early in the tourney...

We had a few frames and it was two a piece before Mick got called to play his plate match.

I'd say we were well matched at snooker, perhaps I was a shade more skilled if I had to say who would win first to 7 at snooker.

One thing's for sure... He's very decent at snooker and insanely talented at pool... He has this shot where he knocks em down the cushion at pace from virtually a 90 degree angle... It's crazy and all I think about when I think of Mick.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        Yes, got to:
                        User Control Panel
                        My Settings, My Account, Edit Ignore List
                        enter the user name and Okay

i just did put you on Ignore List Dean, this way you can'nt keep an eye on me all the time !!

Comment

Originally Posted by Ethanat View Post
                          Thanks for all your replies guys.
                          No problemo my friend ,

as you see it's a great forum. all the comments (as well as criticism) are for me more than welcome.

Oh and , If you need anything, do not hesitate. just ask.
                          We have different kind of departments here,
                          Food
                          Mental
                          Psychic
                          Entertainment
                          pros
                          Amateurs
                          and so on .....

just make sure you avoid TSF Jail . it's not lots of fun out there.

Comment

I'll just leave this hear to rile up the anti science crowd.
                            https://youtu.be/-jUL_8aZ2LU
                            Last edited by Slasher; 9 December 2016, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Slasher View Post
                              I'll just leave this hear to rile up the anti science crowd.
                              https://youtu.be/-jUL_8aZ2LU
                              Thanks for the vid .
                              Not saying I'm anti science , But I'm gonna watch the vid .
                              going to work. gonna watch the vid later tonight. as soon as I'm back .
                              Must be interesting .

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
                                i just did put you on Ignore List Dean, this way you can'nt keep an eye on me all the time !!
                                I would reply but you wouldn't see it
                                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                                X