Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood type

Simple question for some probably.

How can I tell what wood my cue is made from, are there any particular characteristics that make this an easy job?

Many thanks.

Ask the cuemaker?

some woods have certain look that as you see them you recognise, thuya burr vs amboyna burr, etc
    bird's eye vs tiger maple

I also use http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/ to see if I can get a match, and then stop and try to get a life :biggrin:
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Put up a pic and I bet you get your answer

Comment

Right then jrc750, I have hopefully managed to put some piccy's up here to help.

As a matter of interest, any thoughts on how the tip looks on my cue?

Cue_1a.jpg Cue_1b.jpg Cue_1c.jpg

Comment

Ash cue ebony splices reasonable tip I would take it down a bit more and round it and ferrule needs a clean.
          Last edited by bigandyg; 5 February 2017, 01:08 PM.

Comment

is the butt all plain ebony?

when you asked I thought you meant identifying splice woods

Comment

Here is a piccy of my butt

Butt_1.jpg

Thanks for the input folks. bigandyg, how much should I take it down and how much more rounded should it be and why/how will that help please? I'm always willing to learn from you valued members.

Everything that I have learned from this forum has helped me to get to the semi-finals of both the scratch and handicap singles at my new club and, I am one match away from getting to the semi of the doubles competition. Who knows, if all goes well I might end up in three finals! If trimming my tip will help, then I'm all for it. Thank you

Comment

So the butt has two ebony splices on "white" veneers.
                White veneers can be maple or sycamore.

Comment

It's just my preference to take it down a bit more and round it if it suits you that way that's fine some players I know play with a tip so thin it's almost not there you seem to be doing fine with the way the tip is so not much wrong there.

Comment

Would definitely get some fine wire wool on that ferrule tho, would drive me mad that
                    Yes that was easy to identify, I too thought we were being asked to identify some exotic splice lol

Comment

Be careful with the wirewool on the ferrule, keep it away as much as possible from the shaft wood as it has already started to "hourglass", see the photo, the shaft immediately under the ferrule looks narrower than the ferrule, could just be the photo, but always a good idea to watch out for this when working on the ferrule
                      A photo of the tip and ferrule after you have had a go would be nice

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                        Be careful with the wirewool on the ferrule, keep it away as much as possible from the shaft wood as it has already started to "hourglass", see the photo, the shaft immediately under the ferrule looks narrower than the ferrule, could just be the photo, but always a good idea to watch out for this when working on the ferrule
                        A photo of the tip and ferrule after you have had a go would be nice
                        Hiya DeanH well I've had a bit of a go at the tip, see what you think of the attached piccy. It was taken on the 'macro' setting and so shows the tip as being a bit 'hairy' but looked at normally it looks. well 'normal'

By the way, the ferrule on my cue is 9.52mm in diameter and the cue is 9.44mm and so the ferrule is bigger by 0.08mm

Cue_1d.jpg

Here is a bit more of a 'normal' view. Unfortunately it's out of focus though! Question please....does it need any additional 'doming'?

Cue_1e.jpg
                        Last edited by bluenose1940; 6 February 2017, 03:52 PM. Reason: question added

Comment

from what I can see (through the camera shake ) that is a nice starting shape and height to be starting with, I then allow some time at the table to bed in and then see what further shaping after that

So the shaft has started to be worn away, just remember not make it any worse in the future

Comment

Working...
                          X