Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
    Nice when you find a player who gives you one or two chances in a frame - focuses you to do the same or at least try harder to give them a game.... to fly with the eagles you surely first learn to soar with them - or you just become a good ref
    What's your situation with playing better players these days mate? Pretty hard to find I'm sure! ; ) are you still keen and wanting to improve etc? I've got a couple of years on you age wise but am enjoying the challenge of trying to get back up to my best after my first year back. I'm sure you too are not ready to be a ref yet!
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

I don't play much like I used to - just getting back into it really and I am working on a few technical things at the moment that I picked up on to correct the errors in my game-unwanted movement on the shot is the main thing if I get that right and I think I found a way to solve this and everything seems better. I'm only a hobby player so not good enough standard compared to other members on here but no-one who plays snooker including the pro players I know are ever happy - My focus is not with it at all at the moment but I enjoy the game for what it is and take the rough with the smooth. I knock in a few 50 plus breaks a week. Had five or so yesterday broke down each time on the really simple shots and could not get top side of the blue if I ordered a taxi so yeah focus is a big issue too - I'm going to try harder. If you don't respect the game it wont respect you back and so I guess I got complacent and gave up trying a while ago.

I put a few hours in recently - and set myself a few little targets to achieve - got to push yourself - I want a ton over the next month not played for over six months my last century was early last year and so lots of technical errors n things to put right first - routines and pre shot work to follow -

I will get one if it kills me - its coming - watch this space.. Picking up bits of stuff from a great player really helps you improve. enjoy

Comment

That's really insightful mate - thanks for sharing so much background, it's always good to hear another players mindset and the things they work on. I guess I'm not the sort of person myself who wants to just turn up and have a knock about, I don't care about winning much, I'm more selfish in snooker as I just care about what I play like.

I been back playing for just over the year now and during that time I've stopped and started a bit and nearly stopped altogether again when starting a new job. A couple of things have kept me going along the way, a phone call out the blue asking me to play in a local league and then because of this, increased desire to practice more so as not to loose as its a team not just winning for me. I've even tried filming myself to see what I'm doing bad etc to try and approve. (Big help) I need to play with more players that are better than me like the other night, convinced that improves your focus as a player and you can "go to school" when leaving them an opportunity. (Lean your against the wall and learn)

I really feel I'm close to my best now, cueing very fluently lately with a lot more confidence. I'm just trying to reign in my touch now, which is a bit on the heavy side at present, probably due to wanting to strike everything firmly. One things for sure - it's fun as long as it's fun and when it's not let's hope it's summer so we can play golf instead! ; )
        Last edited by Cue crafty; 18 February 2017, 10:15 AM.
        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
          That's really insightful mate - thanks for sharing so much background, it's always good to hear another players mindset and the things they work on. I guess I'm not the sort of person myself who wants to just turn up and have a knock about, I don't care about winning much, I'm more selfish in snooker as I just care about what I play like.

I been back playing for just over the year now and during that time I've stopped and started a bit and nearly stopped altogether again when starting a new job. A couple of things have kept me going along the way, a phone call out the blue asking me to play in a local league and then because of this, increased desire to practice more so as not to loose as its a team not just winning for me. I've even tried filming myself to see what I'm doing bad etc to try and approve. (Big help) I need to play with more players that are better than me like the other night, convinced that improves your focus as a player and you can "go to school" when leaving them an opportunity. (Lean your against the wall and learn)

I really feel I'm close to my best now, cueing very fluently lately with a lot more confidence. I'm just trying to reign in my touch now, which is a bit on the heavy side at present, probably due to wanting to strike everything firmly. One things for sure - it's fun as long as it's fun and when it's not let's hope it's summer so we can play golf instead! ; )
          Golfer as well eh?

I've been getting the itch lately as haven't really played last 4 years and the suns been out occasionally.

Your snooker games sound similar to mine albeit that it's gone to pot again over the last few weeks and am now struggling to venture to the practice table.

It's certainly taxing trying to get to where you think you should be and with age it's difficult to keep the fight up.

Still a great game though!
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
            Golfer as well eh?

I've been getting the itch lately as haven't really played last 4 years and the suns been out occasionally.

Your snooker games sound similar to mine albeit that it's gone to pot again over the last few weeks and am now struggling to venture to the practice table.

It's certainly taxing trying to get to where you think you should be and with age it's difficult to keep the fight up.

Still a great game though!
            Of sorts Shocks - not played much last few years tho, hardly at all in fact. One round last year and 2 the year before! I think work and family has meant golf has become harder and harder to dedicate time to. I love it but think it will be a few years (due to kids ages) before I can put time in and play the game to an enjoyable standard. I'm an average golfer, play off 18 but for me to maintain that I have to play at least once a week and go to the range too.

I know you mentioned previously about your golf partner but it may be time to head back out there mate. Snooker is a great game but when things get hard and efforts expended offer little fruit, frustrations build and the love lessens! Sometimes getting away from it, doing something different opens another door to a bit of fulfilment .in my experience when you do this, the things that had got in your head about snooker disappear and its usually because you don't care quite as much!

Life's too short to bang ya head on the wall at the end of a cul-de-sac! ; )
            Last edited by Cue crafty; 18 February 2017, 07:02 PM.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
              Of sorts Shocks - not played much last few years tho, hardly at all in fact. One round last year and 2 the year before! I think work and family has meant golf has become harder and harder to dedicate time to. I love it but think it will be a few years (due to kids ages) before I can put time in and play the game to an enjoyable standard. I'm an average golfer, play off 18 but for me to maintain that I have to play at least once a week and go to the range too.

I know you mentioned previously about your golf partner but it may be time to head back out there mate. Snooker is a great game but when things get hard and efforts expended offer little fruit, frustrations build and the love lessens! Sometimes getting away from it, doing something different opens another door to a bit of fulfilment .in my experience when you do this, the things that had got in your head about snooker disappear and its usually because you don't care quite as much!

Life's too short to bang ya head on the wall at the end of a cul-de-sac! ; )
              Yeah life is getting shorter that's for sure!

I enjoy practice in all sports and we all should. I really should take a trip to the driving range as it's been a while.

Still enjoy my Sunday morning snooker practice since the golf finished as it's good to iron stuff out and if you play a poor shot you leave yourself up for the easy one.......win win!
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
              X