Practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice

Simple question, and as a non-player something I've often wondered; do the professionals (or any player serious about his game for that matter) practice safety play?

I kind of get the sense they don't, as the regular practice would incorporate pretty much all the elements good safety requires - pace, angles etc, but I don't know for sure.
    Last edited by Billy; 16 February 2017, 04:18 PM.
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

I'd guess if they had a quality table with northern rubber cushions and pockets oozing their knuckles they would,less so on a knackered table as its more lifeless.

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
      Simple question, and as a non-player something I've often wondered; do the professionals (or any player serious about his game for that matter) practice safety play?

I kind of get the sense they don't, as the regular practice would incorporate pretty much all the elements good safety requires - pace, angles etc, but I don't know for sure.
      Yes most do Billy. I saw a good routine ROS showed on his TV show he done, where he puts the baulk colours on the baulk cushion in line with their spots. Then plays shots off reds down the other end of the table trying to get the right angle and weight off the shot to softly cannon one of the baulk balls on the cushion. As you can imagine if you get pretty good at this you will leave your opponent in trouble often. Think Mr Reardon taught him this one.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
        I'd guess if they had a quality table with northern rubber cushions and pockets oozing their knuckles they would,less so on a knackered table as its more lifeless.
        That's a fair point, trains. I never considered the quality of the practice tables.

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
        Yes most do Billy. I saw a good routine ROS showed on his TV show he done, where he puts the baulk colours on the baulk cushion in line with their spots. Then plays shots off reds down the other end of the table trying to get the right angle and weight off the shot to softly cannon one of the baulk balls on the cushion. As you can imagine if you get pretty good at this you will leave your opponent in trouble often. Think Mr Reardon taught him this one.
        Not seen that, Cue crafty, but interesting all the same. I wonder what the significance of hitting the baulk colours is, rather than just trying to play dead-weight for the cushion?
        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

I have a fun game each player take it in turns to place a place a ten pound note in baulk each player replaces the tenner in a different place behind baulk line somewhere each turn for their opponent to try and hit.... then place two or three reds around pink and black area and then take it in turns ball in hand from D try and work the angle to snick off a red thin with side if needed and try and land the white perfectly on the note to win it.

Comment

That does sound like fun. How often does a tenner get won I wonder?

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
              That does sound like fun. How often does a tenner get won I wonder?
              Have to be a tenner, the cue ball would slide off those dodgy fivers!
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Not seen that, Cue crafty, but interesting all the same. I wonder what the significance of hitting the baulk colours is, rather than just trying to play dead-weight for the cushion?[/QUOTE]

The idea is if you drop on that ball in that position you leave your oppo behind a balk colour ( when they are on their spots) and on the Cush. So very tough shot!
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Had a good experience tonight and wanted to share. I've been hoping to play someone down this social club I joined but was beginning to lose hope! All old boys having a gentle knock with their pals. Fair play to them. I usually just have a solo practice down there and it's always very quiet. Tonight 3 tables playing and over strolls a giant South African guy and asks me if I fancy a game? So we start playing and it becomes apparent pretty quick that he is sh1te hot! He'd been warming up and I'm stone cold, no idea that he is decent so I bang the balls up, he makes 45, close frame but I lose, next frame I do again he makes 57 and to be honest it could have been lots more. I see he is a bit miffed that he missed in such a good opening, so I ask if he's made tons before, he says"yes loads". Wahoo! Jackpot I think genuinely pleased to find a player this good. Next frame he hits 67, this time it's a well crafted break, and he's unlucky to get out of position and have no shot on. I finally get going and win a couple, which I'm well chuffed about as I can see this guys has bags of talent and is better than me. We talk a bit more and it turns out he stopped playing the game for many years like me but used to play some professional stuff both in the UK and back in SA where he said it's a lower standard.

Anyway sorry it's a hijack of the thread but it is titled practice! We exchanged numbers and I hoping to get my butt kicked by him again soon, but seriously think playing someone like that will bring my game on. His goal is to make tons again and I don't think it will be long the way he looked in the balls. I might even reach that goal myself once more.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                    Have to be a tenner, the cue ball would slide off those dodgy fivers!

Ha ha ...yeah you can lose a bit of wedge playing this game until you learn things properly - There were a few of us played this in my club once a week for a laugh - did not half focus me to practice it back then I tell you. Worked though I learned to get the speed of the table quick use running side to speed it up off a cushion - learn the angles flick off a ball thin or straighten up a shot or swing it around figure of eight - even now when I play I imagine that tenner on the table I don't just play for an area - try play for an exact point on the table to land the white.

Comment

Bloody hell! I've just found him on cue tracker! His name is Paul Burrell! How lucky was I! Buzzing!
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Cue crafty ....Sounds like

Comment

Da Haa ha! Am gushing and blushing so it must be! Sorry, doesn't happen every day especially to me! ; )
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Nice when you find a player who gives you one or two chances in a frame - focuses you to do the same or at least try harder to give them a game.... to fly with the eagles you surely first learn to soar with them - or you just become a good ref
                            Last edited by Byrom; 17 February 2017, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                              The idea is if you drop on that ball in that position you leave your oppo behind a balk colour ( when they are on their spots) and on the Cush. So very tough shot!
                              Ah, of course. That never occurred to me - stupid as that sounds.

Comment

Working...
                              X