Down on the shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Down on the shot

I've labelled myself a non-player in other threads, but when I was in my 20s I used to play down the local club quite often. Only ever for fun and my highest break was in the mid-20s, with an average break of about 6.

However, even then when I was as fit as a butcher's and skinny as a rake, a good three-hour session would nearly always result in excruciating migraines as a result of getting into position to play the shot. Even at the table it always felt like a real strain, particularly tilting my head enough to look down the cue.

Those scoring figures would suggest I had absolutely no idea what I was doing, and I wouldn't blame you for picturing a chimpanzee at the table, but everyone always commented on how 'good' I looked down on the shot - just like the pros, people would say, so I don't think it was bad posture / stance which was the cause of my stiffness.

Anyway, this is only out of interest - not looking for advice as I don't play any more - but does/did anyone else suffer with back/neck pain from playing?

I have no medical condition (that I know of, at least) which would point to the reason, but my whole time playing would have been a far more enjoyable period in my life if it hadn't been for the pain.
    Last edited by Billy; 17 February 2017, 06:28 PM.
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

I dont get down with chin on cue due to the pain it causes my neck. Cue sports are the only thing that induce the pain
    Smee

Comment

i get particularly tired playing tbh. I took a long hiatus from snooker to pursue bodybuilding and even when i returned, it was very tiring indeed. Funny enough I mentioned this to my partner last night. I think its as much mental fatigue as it is physical and gives that "draining" feeling

Comment

It's weird how the professionals just 'fall' into position, like it's the most natural thing in the world.
        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
          It's weird how the professionals just 'fall' into position, like it's the most natural thing in the world.
          I think that's your answer there. If you're not relaxed while your down on the shot you will start to hurt. It's easy to tense up though, especially if you're not too confident about the shot.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
            I think that's your answer there. If you're not relaxed while your down on the shot you will start to hurt. It's easy to tense up though, especially if you're not too confident about the shot.
            I agree with that, jonny, but I don't think confidence ever came in to it - we never even played for money, let alone anything else. I suppose like anyone playing a sport, I wanted to do well and probably tried too hard to make the pots, so maybe it was stiffening up that was the cause.

Comment

Working...
            X