Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are strights shots a lot harder than angled ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
    very good point Vmax . I saw this post coming !!

TBH, the trouble is when your eyes get distracted by the pocket (when you're able to keep the pocket and the OB at the same time in your vision), you're not comfortable with shot. you get confused , where you gonna have to focus at the time of striking cuz u have 2 diff point in your eye set at the same time, even though both points are at the same line . And this happens unconsciously.

for that, you can put easly sum unwanted side on CB. A small cueing error would be enough .
    Which is more mental. IMO.

And do'nt ask me to explain this better , Cuz I can'nt .

Although , each player is different.
    A huge factor here is distance. A dead straight blue for example is no harder than an angled blue. But a corner to corner dead straight blue from the baulk line is the hardest open table pot in snooker. That's my point on straight cueing. Only a straight cue action with dead centre cue ball Stike will pot this type of straight shot.
    ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      on dead straight shots I look to the pocket for that very reason, the hand will follow the eyes
      Sorry my friend , just to add a point here which i forgot to mention in my prvs post .

It's not about where your hand will follow ( of cours , that's what happens in theory ).

It's more about whether you strike the ball ( whether you cue ) with a clear mind .
      Once you have 2 diff points in your eyeset , your mind get confused . This can lead to more pressure during the shot . ( it's a unconsciously reaction of your brain ).

Which is the reason why most players are more comfortable with angle shots, imo.
      Last edited by Ramon; 18 February 2017, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
        Yes there is. But on a dead straight shot the slightest imperfection is magnified greatly. especialy if the the cue ball is not struck centre. Obviously no side wanted on a straight pot, maybe top spin or screw, but either of these still require dead centre cue ball striking to get the pot.
        Screw back with reverse side, where do you compensate your aiming on a dead straight black off its spot ?

Comment

Why are strights shots a lot harder than angled ones?

on dead straight shots I look to the pocket for that very reason, the hand will follow the eyes
          Sorry my friend , just to add a point here which i forgot to mention in my prvs post .

It's not about where your hand will follow ( of cours , that's what happens in theory ).

It's more about whether you strike the ball ( whether you cue ) with a clear mind .
          Once you have 2 diff points in your eyeset , your mind get confused . This can lead to more pressure during the shot . ( it's a unconsciously reaction of your brain ).

Which is the reason why most players are more comfortable with angle shots, imo.

with me it is I let the hand/eye coordination take over, say a little prayer (see other thread ) and let the cue do the work

Used to being overly worried that it is a dead straight shots and missing more than not, since I changed the looking at the pocket and (as someone else mentioned) forgetting about the object ball, my pot rare has improved greatly
          Last edited by DeanH; 18 February 2017, 10:31 PM.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
            Screw back with reverse side, where do you compensate your aiming on a dead straight black off its spot ?
            Wow, never ever thought about it. This thread might give make me think of sh1 t I shouldn't consider. Lol. So sorry in answer, in my mind no compensation at all. Such a short distance don't feel any compensation required.
            Last edited by Cue crafty; 18 February 2017, 10:34 PM.
            ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

with me it is I let the hand/eye coordination take over, say a little prayer (see other thread ) and let the cue do the work

Used to being overly worried that it is a dead straight shots and missing more than not, since I changed the looking at the pocket and (as someone else mentioned) forgetting about the object ball, my pot rare has improved greatly
              Your hand/eye coordination is managed by your brain. Once your brain is disturbed ( and this happens unconscious ) , it goes wrong.

you can'nt keep your eyes at 2 diff points at the same time. It's impossible.

At the time of cueing , your mind should be clear . anything ( any factor ) which disturbs your mind can lead to cueing error .:snooker:

Comment

Maybe before my thoughts get further construed, my last point on distance again is important. Straight blacks, blues etc no great distance hence imperfection not magnified to a significant point. Once you get to straight pink when cue ball is closer to middle pocket this is a tougher shot when dead straight. Corner to corner straight long blue, any slight imperfection is magnified enormously.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

When the pocket and the object ball are both in your field of vision then you can argue this point, but what about potting into a blind pocket ? these seem to be the hardest shots of all and where your theory breaks down.
                  The straighter the angle the easier it is and no angle is easiest of all as long as you put the cue on the line of aim and find the centre of the cue ball; you can look at the object ball or pocket on the strike as they are both bang on the line of aim.

Comment

Your hand/eye coordination is managed by your brain. Once your brain is disturbed ( and this happens unconscious ) , it goes wrong.

you can'nt keep your eyes at 2 diff points at the same time. It's impossible.

At the time of cueing , your mind should be clear . anything ( any factor ) which disturbs your mind can lead to cueing error .:snooker:
                    Well I have no brain so it should be cool :wink:

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                      Wow, never ever thought about it. This thread might give make me think of sh1 t I shouldn't consider. Lol. So sorry in answer, in my mind no compensation at all. Such a short distance don't feel any compensation required.

Oh but there is as the cue ball will deflect to the opposite of the side put on it and as the shot is hit quite hard there is very little distance for the spin acting on the nap of the cloth to take the cue ball back on the line of aim.
                      This is what makes straight shots difficult for some, they aren't getting the cue on the line of aim or aren't finding the centre of the cue ball or both. On angled shots they have subconsciously learned to compensate, but straight shots find them out.
                      I have a mate who plays this way, uses helping side to make the angles and can cut balls in from anywhere, but on a straight shot he's lost.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                        When the pocket and the object ball are both in your field of vision then you can argue this point, but what about potting into a blind pocket ? these seem to be the hardest shots of all and where your theory breaks down.
                        The straighter the angle the easier it is and no angle is easiest of all as long as you put the cue on the line of aim and find the centre of the cue ball; you can look at the object ball or pocket on the strike as they are both bang on the line of aim.
                        Cuz blind pocket has nothing to do with my theory . when it comes to play the shot from a blind pocket , It's the choosing the right angle which makes the shot more dificult. Most plyers miss that kind of shot even though , they cue stright . this simply cuz they choos the wrong angle . estimateing the right angle when it comes to blind pocket shots , is far more dificult.

Comment

Lol. I was born with No brain.

Comment

Lol. I was born with No brains.
                            I had some but lost them some years ago.....
                            Old age forgetful!

Comment

I had some but lost them some years ago.....
                              Old age forgetful!
                              well, atleast you had sum of that stuff .
                              that makes difference, my friend .

No wonder why you're smarter than i'm .

Comment

Mmm interesting, this is making me think about stuff not considered before. I can just about remember learning the reverse side shot off the black. One of the hardest shots I've ever played as it felt so weird to me hitting left hand side screw. First memories are cueing badly across the across the ball. I think (but I'm not even sure) that I learned to cue dead straight on this shot but with my alignment adjusted to the left hand low spot on the cue ball. I guess there is some stuff we learn that is almost subliminal?
                                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                                X