Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are strights shots a lot harder than angled ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are strights shots a lot harder than angled ones?

I always have more difficulty in gaining confidence for a straight shot than for an angled one. I have also noticed the same behaviour in other players. What is the reason for this? Technically, the shot is not more or less difficult and nothing changes from a cue action or visualization point of view. So why do I feel it significantly more difficult? Is it a psychological effect or something to do with the way our brains visualize angles?

You probably put more pressure on yourself because it's straight and therefore should be easy, then cue it all wrong.

Comment

Originally Posted by ICWiener View Post
      I always have more difficulty in gaining confidence for a straight shot than for an angled one. I have also noticed the same behaviour in other players. What is the reason for this? Technically, the shot is not more or less difficult and nothing changes from a cue action or visualization point of view. So why do I feel it significantly more difficult? Is it a psychological effect or something to do with the way our brains visualize angles?
      Good one, but a very simple answer. Straight shots require a dead straight cue action. You need to practice them and concentrate on pushing the cue thru in a straight line. When you get good at this the rest are easier because you can take confidence from your cue action being sound.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
        Good one, but a very simple answer. Straight shots require a dead straight cue action. You need to practice them and concentrate on pushing the cue thru in a straight line. When you get good at this the rest are easier because you can take confidence from your cue action being sound.
        Thanks for that answer. That's a problem that occurs to me also quite often.

Comment

Isn't there the same margin of area on a straight shot as an angled one?

Not trying to pooh pooh it but the pockets the same size so maybe something else in there as well............I also practice long blues and reds as it's one of my problems as well but I would guess it's commonplace.
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

With Stright shots the pocket is located at the same line as line of aim.
            that's why your eyes can be easily distracted by the pocket at the time of striking , instead of stay focus on OB.

with angle shots is alot easier to put the pocket out of your mind at the time of striking and keep focusing on OB, imo.

It's more mental (as already mentioned by fellow members) .

The fact is, both shots are equally difficult and requires stright cueing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
              With Stright shots the pocket is located at the same line as line of aim.
              that's why your eyes can be easily distracted by the pocket at the time of striking , instead of stay focus on OB.

with angle shots is alot easier to put the pocket out of your mind at the time of striking and keep focusing on OB, imo.
              I would say it's the other way round, as the pocket is bang on the line of aim, if your eyes flick to it then your hand still follows your eye. I find straight shots the easiest and I would hazard a guess that those who find them difficult either consciously can't or subconsciously don't find the centre of the cue ball and use helping side on angled pots ie: aim it thick with a touch of side to make the contact thinner, but on a straight shot that can't done as there is no thick or thin to contend with.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                Isn't there the same margin of area on a straight shot as an angled one?

Not trying to pooh pooh it but the pockets the same size so maybe something else in there as well............I also practice long blues and reds as it's one of my problems as well but I would guess it's commonplace.
                Yes there is. But on a dead straight shot the slightest imperfection is magnified greatly. especialy if the the cue ball is not struck centre. Obviously no side wanted on a straight pot, maybe top spin or screw, but either of these still require dead centre cue ball striking to get the pot.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

This is a very good question, I think, and on the surface this answer sounds very plausible, but does this suggest that an angled shot is more forgiving when it comes to pushing the cue through in a straight line?
                  "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Yes there is. But on a dead straight shot the slightest imperfection is magnified greatly. especialy if the the cue ball is not struck centre. Obviously no side wanted on a straight pot, maybe top spin or screw, but either of these still require dead centre cue ball striking to get the pot.
                    In my head (and that has a party in it), there is a correct point on the object ball for it to go in the pocket so, straight pot or not the accuracy required is the same.

If they are both hit off centre then both shots will not go in.

I like the distraction point from the pocket?

I wonder if we put more pressure on ourselves on a straight pot? It's a good post either way.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax4steve View Post
                      I would say it's the other way round, as the pocket is bang on the line of aim, if your eyes flick to it then your hand still follows your eye. I find straight shots the easiest and I would hazard a guess that those who find them difficult either consciously can't or subconsciously don't find the centre of the cue ball and use helping side on angled pots ie: aim it thick with a touch of side to make the contact thinner, but on a straight shot that can't done as there is no thick or thin to contend with.
                      very good point Vmax . I saw this post coming !!

TBH, the trouble is when your eyes get distracted by the pocket (when you're able to keep the pocket and the OB at the same time in your vision), you're not comfortable with shot. you get confused , where you gonna have to focus at the time of striking cuz u have 2 diff point in your eye set at the same time, even though both points are at the same line . And this happens unconsciously.

for that, you can put easly sum unwanted side on CB. A small cueing error would be enough .
                      Which is more mental. IMO.

And do'nt ask me to explain this better , Cuz I can'nt .

Although , each player is different.
                      Last edited by Ramon; 18 February 2017, 10:03 PM.

Comment

I would hazard a guess that those who find them difficult either consciously can't or subconsciously don't find the centre of the cue ball
                        That is a very good observation. Harsh but true; most often that's the reason for bad performance. Maybe that's why Jimmy White always aligns his cue downwards to the bottom of the cue ball, so as to find its center with more precision and then execute his shot with perfect cue action.

Comment

Why are strights shots a lot harder than angled ones?

on dead straight shots I look to the pocket for that very reason, the hand will follow the eyes
                          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

It's certainly an interesting one that's for sure.

It's one of the reasons I spend 5/10 minutes each time I get a cue out knocking in straight long reds and blues off the spot.

Whether that gets you into the groove prior to play or reduces the distraction of the pocket I'm not sure!

Comment

On a dead str8 shot I sometimes aim to pot the white as if the object ball isn't there, especially if I'm cueing poorly

Comment

Working...
                              X