9mm Or 10mm Ferrule?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9mm Or 10mm Ferrule?

I'm thinking about having the width of my ferrule increased from 9mm to 10mm maybe. Is this a good idea and what pros and cons might it have? Any advice would be great.

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
    I'm thinking about having the width of my ferrule increased from 9mm to 10mm maybe. Is this a good idea and what pros and cons might it have? Any advice would be great.
    It's preference. I don't think there's any benefits to one or the other.

Comment

9mm Or 10mm Ferrule?

Shaun Murphy recently went from 8.7mm that he has been playing with forever to 9.5mm (?) and says it suits him better now.
      The consideration you have to look into is how much length of shaft will you lose to increase the ferrule diameter.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Shaun Murphy had 1/2" off cue so ferrule could be 9mm.
        VR Ultimate Limited Edition 1 Piece Ash Cue - 58” | 9mm | 18.9oz | 29.5mm | 18”.
        Long & Short Tele Extensions | 6” & 3” Ebony Mini Butts.
        Peradon Blue/Black Patchwork Leather 1 Piece Wide Case.
        Century Titanium Ferrule | ADR147 Tip | Taom V10 Chalk.

Comment

9mm Or 10mm Ferrule?

thanks TD for the correct diameter
          To gain a 1mm increase in ferrule diameter (depending on the shaft taper) it could be quite a lot of shaft removed.
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

You will notice a big difference in the cue over your bridge, I know one mill sounds like nothing but it's quite a big change to a cue, it may look like a brush handle as you feather.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

You need a lot off your cue to do that - it will totally destroy the cue don't do it sell it get another or try a few - 10 mil is a huge jump for you if you play with 9 mil go up a bit at a time if anything 9.2 9.3 go somewhere like green baize try a few cues out see what feels right is my advice.

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
                You need a lot off your cue to do that - it will totally destroy the cue don't do it sell it get another or try a few - 10 mil is a huge jump for you if you play with 9 mil go up a bit at a time if anything 9.2 9.3 go somewhere like green baize try a few cues out see what feels right is my advice.
                Unless I'm missing something, with around a 20mm difference between butt and tip to take add a mm you would have to take off around 2 3/4 inches on a 58 inch cue or change the ferrule wall thickness to reduce reduction e.g. thicker ferrule.
                Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

After reading these replies to my question I think I might just leave my cue as it is because I really like the cue and don't want to ruin it! I just thought that maybe having a wider ferrule/wider tip might improve my game a bit on long shots and would improve my centre ball striking (not putting any unintentional side on the cue ball) on certain shots due to having a wider tip. But if that means destroying my cue I think I'll leave it the way it is at 9mm!

Comment

You could always try putting on a 10 mm tip onto your 9 mm ferrule like this

Comment

For experience, try a mushroom tip with 10mm. If you like it, them go for a new cue!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                        You could always try putting on a 10 mm tip onto your 9 mm ferrule like this
                        That's a really good point. There are a few shapes you can have doing it this way. The last one I did a few weeks ago the guy just wanted a 10mm stuck straight on the 9mm ferrule with no reshaping. He loves it!
                        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                        X