Boxer Stance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxer Stance

Just out of interest do any of the professionals use a boxer stance?

If I'm not mistaken, Mark Selby does along with many others I'm sure.

Comment

Can't think of any in top 16 that ARE NOT boxer. You have Kyron Wilson who has "bent knees" but still essentially boxer I would say. In top 32 you have Mark King and Richy Walden who bend at the knees as well.

Comment

looking at 2016 masters quarter final video Selby vs Ronnie and Selby has a square stance....

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
          Can't think of any in top 16 that ARE NOT boxer. You have Kyron Wilson who has "bent knees" but still essentially boxer I would say. In top 32 you have Mark King and Richy Walden who bend at the knees as well.
          really? I though most had a square stance?

Comment

Originally Posted by Doykman View Post
            looking at 2016 masters quarter final video Selby vs Ronnie and Selby has a square stance....

Just looked up that match, he's got his left foot way forward...

Comment

I'm confused here, isn't a "boxer" stance one leg in front of the other ? In which case virtually everyone plays this way ?

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                I'm confused here, isn't a "boxer" stance one leg in front of the other ? In which case virtually everyone plays this way ?
                Yes it is, left leg forward if right handed. Yes most people do I believe.

Comment

Originally Posted by mattar177 View Post
                  Yes it is, left leg forward if right handed. Yes most people do I believe.
                  So doykman who started this thread appears to be confused then

Comment

So doykman who started this thread appears to be confused then
                    Looks that way

Comment

I have always used the term 'square stance' to mean the feet are parallel. I use the term 'boxer stance' to reflect what Joe Davis has in his book which is (right-handed) the left foot almost right in front of the right.

I believe what most players use today (including myself) is what I choose to call a 'partial boxer's stance' which means the left foot somewhat in front of the right foot by about 3-4in and the feet still spread to about 18in between the heels for the average height person.
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

lead foot forward is certainly more comfortable as the years pile on so why not start that way

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
                          I have always used the term 'square stance' to mean the feet are parallel. I use the term 'boxer stance' to reflect what Joe Davis has in his book which is (right-handed) the left foot almost right in front of the right.

I believe what most players use today (including myself) is what I choose to call a 'partial boxer's stance' which means the left foot somewhat in front of the right foot by about 3-4in and the feet still spread to about 18in between the heels for the average height person.
                          I adopted this approach many years ago Terry after watching a Steve Davis video on youtube.
                          On a side note Terry, I was talking with a gentleman named Maurice Redding the other week, Maurice and I play in the Nuneaton league which includes Pottr (Jack) and until quitting last year more famously Mick Price. Maurice was telling me about a time he played somebody with the name Terry Davidson in Leicester many moons ago and it transpires he was talking about yourself. I can't remember for the life of me what the name of the club was (perhaps Pockets or something like that?) but Maurice told me he was so impressed with your play, apparently you beat him and won both frames in 1 visit. Maurice is in his 70's now and this was some time ago but thought you might like to know that you're still highly thought of in these parts.
                          "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

A modified boxer stance works best for most folks in my experience.

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                              I adopted this approach many years ago Terry after watching a Steve Davis video on youtube.
                              On a side note Terry, I was talking with a gentleman named Maurice Redding the other week, Maurice and I play in the Nuneaton league which includes Pottr (Jack) and until quitting last year more famously Mick Price. Maurice was telling me about a time he played somebody with the name Terry Davidson in Leicester many moons ago and it transpires he was talking about yourself. I can't remember for the life of me what the name of the club was (perhaps Pockets or something like that?) but Maurice told me he was so impressed with your play, apparently you beat him and won both frames in 1 visit. Maurice is in his 70's now and this was some time ago but thought you might like to know that you're still highly thought of in these parts.
                              Ah, some of the memories from when I could actually play snooker half-decent. There were some great times when I lived in Leicester. I used to be playing in a Pro-Am somewhere in England (usually) every weekend plus Pontins in spring and fall along with the Pro-Ticket tournaments that came along later.

Well, I guess it's not all gone yet as I had a 55 break yesterday and I am back playing in our amateur ranking tournaments here in Southern Ontario and I actually won a match in the last one.

Cheers
                              Terry Davidson
                              IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Working...
                              X