Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get on the line of the shot correctly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get on the line of the shot correctly?

Hi, I'm a right handed player who is trying to add consistency to my game. I often hear players and coaches in YouTube videos saying place your right foot on the line of aim/the shot but my question is, how do I do this correctly? Ie do I find the potting angle on the object ball and then plant my right foot in a straight line from it? Or imagine a line going from pocket all the way back to cue ball but then that seems like it would take forever to do! So after advice on how to identify that line of aim before placing my right foot on it. Thanks

Imagine the line you see where the cue ball is going to hit the object ball.

Your right foot should be on the same line

Comment

At the moment I get my angle or BOB, and then plant my right foot imagining I am planting it over that angle, just from further back of course

Comment

i think this part of the game is something that isn't set in stone. you get some who advocate putting the leading foot on the line of aim and others will say keep you head on that line and drop straight down.

I think this is something that will come with experience , some pick this up quickly and others it takes time, (i'm of the latter).

the line of aim is the line that the cueball takes to make contact with BOB to make the OB to go to the intended target. how you identify this is as said will come from experience, so spend time practicing and eventually you should pick this up.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFQ8AOLGFxE might help.

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
            Imagine the line you see where the cue ball is going to hit the object ball.

Your right foot should be on the same line
            What part of your foot?
            It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Imagine your foot as an arrow. That arrow should be on the same line. The whole of it

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                What part of your foot?
                Exactly, then there is the direction of the foot...

It's just more Chimpanzees at the tea party, imho.

Comment

Really appreciate your replies. So my thinking now is: find BOB, then imagine a straight line from BOB back through the middle of the cue ball and a bit further back and then place my right foot on this line and I should be roughly on the line of the shot each time?

Comment

I don't think I've ever considered where my feet are when playing, they just go there naturally ?

Comment

Yeah me neither jrc750, only thing is I'm a century break player but always seem to struggle at distance or on the cushion. So I pretty much know that when I'm in I can 'get away with it' but my alignment must be out as I'm consistently missing certain types of shots

Comment

I think, if you want your foot on the shot line,
                        imagine to kick the white to the object ball to pot the ball.

if that makes any sense
                        Last edited by matthias; 11 May 2017, 01:02 PM.

Comment

I think the head on the line is more important than foot on the line. there are so many situation when you can't have your foot on the line. for example some rest shots, stretching for a shot leaning over the cushion. playing down the cushion too. all these shots are difficult have the foot on the line of aim, however the head can always be on line.

Comment

I was only answering the question he was referring to when that term was used. Naturally everyone has their own variation to foot position etcetc

Comment

Originally Posted by thai_son22 View Post
                              I was only answering the question he was referring to when that term was used. Naturally everyone has their own variation to foot position etcetc
                              Considering how hard it is to get the tip in the centre of the white ball (and that's 10mm wide), getting your foot exactly on line is interesting as that is around 250mm wide.

Even when a coach says put your laces on the line that's a large area.

I put my foot on the line but I have size 12's.
                              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Working...
                              X