Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips on tips please.

Hi there.
    Monti is my name from Melbourne Vic. (Originally Arnold, Nottingham but that's a long time ago.)
    I'm of novice standard regarding playing ability but am quite handy so can take on most cue jobs.
    About 12 months ago I re tipped my cue (3/4 Peradon King) with an elk master tip. I've not been completely happy with action I get on th cue ball with this tip. I'm confident I have shaped it well but not confident I selected what some might call a medium tip. I'm thinking it may be a little too hard and coupled with my imperfect cueing action the result is unsatisfactory.
    I would like some advice on how one tests for hardness in a tip and if you experienced players believe hardness plays a part in action imparted to the WB.
    Also happy to take advice on grip, action, cue, stance etc regarding cue ball spin.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance you may offer.

Originally Posted by Trrroglodyte View Post
    Hi there.
    Monti is my name from Melbourne Vic. (Originally Arnold, Nottingham but that's a long time ago.)
    I'm of novice standard regarding playing ability but am quite handy so can take on most cue jobs.
    About 12 months ago I re tipped my cue (3/4 Peradon King) with an elk master tip. I've not been completely happy with action I get on th cue ball with this tip. I'm confident I have shaped it well but not confident I selected what some might call a medium tip. I'm thinking it may be a little too hard and coupled with my imperfect cueing action the result is unsatisfactory.
    I would like some advice on how one tests for hardness in a tip and if you experienced players believe hardness plays a part in action imparted to the WB.
    Also happy to take advice on grip, action, cue, stance etc regarding cue ball spin.
    Thanks in advance for any assistance you may offer.
    Elks aren't considered a hard tip. Grip on a cue ball from a tip would be dependent on tip hardness, material made from and cue action impact so there are many reasons you may not be getting the reaction you desire from your tip.

I've fitted hundreds of tips and many, many times I have had a person who hasn't been playing long tell me the tip does't work well and it may need changing again.

I generally then grab the players cue and do the shots in front of them with their cue to show it's action and forget about the tip.

Maybe start by posting a picture of your tip and cue and start the conversation there as there are a multitude of reasons you may not be getting the results you require?

You may get more reaction that you are after from a laminated tip but then you will feel that is even harder than what you have but you may get more grip so you really can't rely one factor as they all make a difference either way.

Pass your cue to a good club player and see what he can do with it; if he can play the shots then it's then all about have the tip feel and gives feedback to you.

Lots to think about but for me I would start with a picture, get a good player to try it and then focus on your action.

Hope this doesn't confuse it further for you.
    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Thanks for your reply Shokerz.
      That's sound advice you offer and not confusing at all.
      I think a good starting point, as you wisely suggest, would indeed be to ask one of the more proficient players at my club to have a few hits with my cue and see what their reaction is.
      I've been working hard on grip and action of late, with particular attention to a looser grip and a concentrated effort on accelaration through the ball and at times I've been quite surprised at the reaction from the cue ball.
      With what you suggest and also from that experience I think it may be fair to conclude that more practice is required. I will definitely ask the opinion of a more experienced player too as it can't do me any harm and I may get a bit of coaching offered too.
      Thanks again mate.
      All advice is appreciated and yours made good sense.

Comment

Originally Posted by Trrroglodyte View Post
        Thanks for your reply Shokerz.
        That's sound advice you offer and not confusing at all.
        I think a good starting point, as you wisely suggest, would indeed be to ask one of the more proficient players at my club to have a few hits with my cue and see what their reaction is.
        I've been working hard on grip and action of late, with particular attention to a looser grip and a concentrated effort on accelaration through the ball and at times I've been quite surprised at the reaction from the cue ball.
        With what you suggest and also from that experience I think it may be fair to conclude that more practice is required. I will definitely ask the opinion of a more experienced player too as it can't do me any harm and I may get a bit of coaching offered too.
        Thanks again mate.
        All advice is appreciated and yours made good sense.
        No problem mate.

Maybe subscribe to a snooker coaching channel (just one) so you get consistent information to follow and not confused by all the varying opinions.

e.g. Barry Stark etc.
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
          No problem mate.

Maybe subscribe to a snooker coaching channel (just one) so you get consistent information to follow and not confused by all the varying opinions.

e.g. Barry Stark etc.
          Indeed. I've taken up some routines from Barry when I started playing regularly about 2 years ago. I like his videos. Easy to follow. Well explained.
          I'll re acquaint myself with his YouTube channel and see if I can't get some more direction to my practice time.

Comment

Not a reply to your question as such, just read your post and im from Arnold, Nottingham too originally! small world

Comment

Originally Posted by Jeddtizzard View Post
              Not a reply to your question as such, just read your post and im from Arnold, Nottingham too originally! small world
              I used to go to school with a lad with the nickname Jedd.
              Red hill comprehensive second half of the 70's.

Comment

Working...
              X