Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is this a free ball, i got told no .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this a free ball, i got told no .....

https://ibb.co/j5fFev

try this one ... sorry

following a foul the incoming player approaches the table should the referee give a free ball?
    (your on the last red on the table, ball in way is green (ish)

ball on is red
    (last one)

https://ibb.co/j5fFev

try this one ... sorry

Yes a free ball, why did someone tell you it wasn't ??

Comment

No free Ball given as the nearest Obstruction to the ball on Is the angle of the middle Pocket therefore not making the green ball the direct obstruction

Thus No free ball Awarded

Comment

section 2, 17 of rules :The cue-ball cannot be snookered by a cushion. If the curved face of a
        cushion obstructs the cue-ball and is closer to the cue-ball than any
        obstructing ball not on, the cue-ball is not snookered.

Comment

Hmm i would like one of the resident refs to comment on this lol

Comment

Originally Posted by Phantom_Pc View Post
            section 2, 17 of rules :The cue-ball cannot be snookered by a cushion. If the curved face of a
            That's when you are angled, the cue ball isn't angled here. If the green wasn't there you could pot that red, so the cushion isn't in the way.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
              Yes a free ball, why did someone tell you it wasn't ??
              Strictly speaking that is NOT a free ball, as the nearest obstruction on a path to the right hand edge of the red is the curved part of the centre pocket, and the rules specifically say that if that is the case then there is no free ball.

However, I would never have considered NOT awarding a free ball in this scenario until it was brought up a few months ago, when Jan Verhaas said it was NOT a free ball. I think iot is generally accepted that the rule is intended to apply where the cue ball is in the jaws of the pocket, but the way it is worded would apply in the scenario shown. I gather that the powerrs that be are considering whether the rule should be reworded.
              Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                That's when you are angled, the cue ball isn't angled here. If the green wasn't there you could pot that red, so the cushion isn't in the way.
                Most referees would probably agree that the rule should only apply when angled (ie in the jaws of a pocket). However, that is not the way the rule is worded, which means it applies in the scenario shown.
                Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

looking at that image, the right hand side of the red (if the green wasn't there) isn't obstructed by the Jaw of the pocket.
                  as isnoteasy said " you could pot the red if the green wasn't there"

had the cueball been tight on the cushion i'd say it would have been obstructed by the jaw. however in any case i think most including me would give that as a free ball.

Comment

How can this not be a free ball? Ignore the cushion aspect and look at left side of the object ball. It appears to me people are using the free ball rule and cushion in the wrong manner. Read the free ball rule and see if it applies to this scenario.

Of course the player always has the 'shoot again' option but a free ball would be better (and more correct to my mind). Of course I'm a referee but only the lowest level, either Class C or Level III, whichever is the first one.

Another example is put the 2 balls anywhere else on the table and what's the call? The angle has nothing to do with it.
                    Terry Davidson
                    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

If you ignore the cushions there is a big ****ing snooker ball in the way, am I blind? He said the ball on is the red, even if they were in the middle of the table he would be snookered by the green/blue ball. Why is this even a discussion?

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                        If you ignore the cushions there is a big ****ing snooker ball in the way, am I blind? He said the ball on is the red, even if they were in the middle of the table he would be snookered by the green/blue ball. Why is this even a discussion?
                        Read post no. 7 (apparently not a free ball lol)

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                          Read post no. 7 (apparently not a free ball lol)
                          I usually bow to Londonlad's superior knowledge of the rules, but I think he's wrong on this one. What about the snooker ball obstructing the left hand side of the red?

Comment

Originally Posted by Phantom_Pc View Post
                            It's not obstructing it, if it were I would agree with you,to pot that red I must be able to hit cushion and ball at the same time , which means I am hitting as much of the ball as possible, take the green away and I can pot that red, meaning I can hit as much of the red as is possible, so the middle pocket( knuckle) cushion isn't obstructing the cueballs line.
                            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

If that's the case then the rule definitely needs re-written, you could be snookered and angled but no free ball called, that's not right. But as itsnoteasy said, in this situation he's not knuckled/angled he's just snookered.

Comment

Working...
                              X