slow backswing vs smooth cueing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slow backswing vs smooth cueing

I have been missing some shots when i do deep screws, stun run through and sometimes medium shots. been playing up and down 100 times/ day. i figured out that when i play slow i get 8 out of 10 straight shots with no side. however as i increase the speed i keep putting unintentional right side on the cue ball. i also noticed that tip of the cue then goes to the left after the impact, which i heard alot from coaches that it should not be a problem since its after the impact and cueball has left the tip

i recorded few shots with headcam and slowed it down and i can see that i do featuring fine, slow backswing fine, but as i am about to deliver the butt of the cue moves to the left and the tip of the cue goes to the right , which creates right hand side.

things i tried: i slowed down the backswing as much as i could, then i saw that i was delivering much straighter . and i dont see and grip twist or turn etc. and no body movement (however i dont have a video of slowing down the backswing )

its always right side on the cueball........ i have got few slow shots in this clip too
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5eM...ature=youtu.be

routine: Please suggest me a good routine to correct this issue . at the moment i am just focusing on slow backswing and cue acceleration to avoid this problem

Hi mate,
    I've only had a quick look as i'm at work but one point from me... when will you ever need to hit the cue ball as hard as you are in this video?
    I also don't agree with the hitting up and down the spots, when will you ever aim at nothing?

I believe in making practice relevant to a frame and am a big advocate of the simple line up. Too many times you see people in clubs trying
    difficult cross routines etc when they struggle to clear the 6 colours off the spots. Do a few straight blues into the middle or corner pockets and see how straight you're cueing.
    Play blues into the middle and screw the cueball into the pocket or run through into the opposite pocket, all of these are tests of straight cueing which you are trying to achieve.

Cheers
    tom
    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
      Hi mate,
      I've only had a quick look as i'm at work but one point from me... when will you ever need to hit the cue ball as hard as you are in this video?
      I also don't agree with the hitting up and down the spots, when will you ever aim at nothing?

I believe in making practice relevant to a frame and am a big advocate of the simple line up. Too many times you see people in clubs trying
      difficult cross routines etc when they struggle to clear the 6 colours off the spots. Do a few straight blues into the middle or corner pockets and see how straight you're cueing.
      Play blues into the middle and screw the cueball into the pocket or run through into the opposite pocket, all of these are tests of straight cueing which you are trying to achieve.

Cheers
      tom
      tnx i do have few shots playing blue , and when i slowed the video down i still can see that i put right side on the cueball, and theres a chalk mark on the cushion ( top of black spot ) that i aim up and down.
      i play up and down to see if i put side and why do i put side. and through this video, when i slowed down i can see that the butt of the cue moves to left and tip of the cue to the right as i am about to deliver the cue.
      i played abit harder to see and find my error. however even if i play slower i still can see that i put right side on the cueball unintentionally
      Last edited by highestbreak50; 11 August 2017, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Yeah, what Tom said is bang on...

This hitting it up and down the spots thing isn't anything like as important as the old timers make you think.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
          Yeah, what Tom said is bang on...

This hitting it up and down the spots thing isn't anything like as important as the old timers make you think.
          dont know, i heard many coaches recommend this routine . and you can correct your cuing this way if you are putting unintentional side

Comment

Yeah but it's such an unnatural set up to the game that you get down with some sort of internal observer bias...

I've had lads on my table show me that and nail it at all speeds 10/10 but then they can't knock in a straight blue to the corner from three foot behind it...

Just pot balls, dude... clear routines... practice with better players.

If you're keen, you'll improve

Comment

another thing on the hitting up and down the spots... I don't know about the tables you play on but a lot of the club tables I've played don't bounce perfectly straight, especially when hitting the ball at speed.
              "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
                another thing on the hitting up and down the spots... I don't know about the tables you play on but a lot of the club tables I've played don't bounce perfectly straight, especially when hitting the ball at speed.
                i guess, you guys are confused about my post

i just need help , how to fix putting unintentional right side on the cueball, maybe i wil slow this video down and draw some lines so u guys can see what i mean.

i do practice lineups , cross, long blues , deep screws, follows etc . however i missed few shots today so i slowed the video down and saw that i put right side on cue ball, so i started doing up and down. and here i can clearly see that the butt of the cue goes left and tip of the cue goes right as i am about to hit the cueball. i dont mind if up and down or baulk kine will fix my cuing as long as i can fix this

Comment

Firstly banging it like mad up and down the spots so hard will achieve nothing because you are not concentrating on delivery or noticing what happens as you are in a rush to get up before the cue ball comes back to hit you in the face. lol To correct things slow down the process/delivery and you will become more aware of anything wrong and more able to address it.

I can tell by the way you cue you are out at the back and think you are pulling the cue in at the back on occasion - get a tad more compact an inch should do - work on getting down- making sure your cue is on line at the back first as you get down in line with the heel or part of the foot you use - if you are a foot fetish player - or if you are just a line of the shot type of guy remember to keep the cue in line and move your body to the cue - You could create a better locking point on your side of the chest which will make it more sensory rather than having to think about it - and remember to try to avoid pulling the cue towards the body on the way down or when down. Lots of people make the mistake of just going to aim with the front part of the cue forgetting the back needs to be on line too.

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                    Yeah but it's such an unnatural set up to the game that you get down with some sort of internal observer bias...

I've had lads on my table show me that and nail it at all speeds 10/10 but then they can't knock in a straight blue to the corner from three foot behind it...

Just pot balls, dude... clear routines... practice with better players.

If you're keen, you'll improve
                    you are indeed right about this, i know another guys who can play straight twice up and down. but he misses easy pots
                    however my target is to fix unintentional right side , so i played up and down and slowed the video down and i can see that on delivery i put right side. i know its different when you have an object ball, however playing up and down and slowing the video down and watching the cue ball , u can tell if you are putting unintensional side, which i think if i fix it, i can improve my game alot

my average break is around 60-80 , however i have never made a century yet.

Comment

Enough with shooting the spots. I do this 3 or 4 times before I try long blues in my warm-up routine but 100 is a tad too many even if you are trying to find out why you put on right-hand side. Shooting the spots isn't going to help you with that.

First of all, slow backswing will help and a rear pause will help even more. To try and cure this I think you need to do a muscle-memory thing. Cue back and forth on the baulkline SLOWLY and watch your ferrule as you do this and try and keep the ferrule covering the baulkline at all times. You can speed this up a bit however there's no need to power it up to 10/10, just keep it down.

One other point, when applying your maximum power you must expect to deliver the cue a little crooked, every player will do that sometimes when using maximum power. Players are much more accurate at medium pace. One other point, when I say maximum power of 10/10 I mean the maximum power you can use EFFECTIVELY and still pot balls like long blues.

Try long blues from the baulkline and screw back as much as you can and see where you start breaking down consistently and that will be your point of maximum power or 10/10. Of course, this also depends on the speed of the table. For instance I can pot a long blue and screw back to the baulkline with around 50% accuracy, so that is trying to use too much power.
                      Terry Davidson
                      IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Can't see anything from this video that's causing that little waggle in your cue as you deliver. Can't see if there's any head or body movement as we can't see your head or body, can't see if your grip is closing too early as we can't see your grip hand, can't see if your bridge hand is moving as we can't see your bridge hand.
                        Can't see you mate, what on earth do you expect.
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                          Can't see anything from this video that's causing that little waggle in your cue as you deliver. Can't see if there's any head or body movement as we can't see your head or body, can't see if your grip is closing too early as we can't see your grip hand, can't see if your bridge hand is moving as we can't see your bridge hand.
                          Can't see you mate, what on earth do you expect.
                          I think the waggle is caused purely by the force of impact. Something I have noticed a lot on telly when they show power shots in slow motion.

Comment

Originally Posted by highestbreak50 View Post
                            you are indeed right about this, i know another guys who can play straight twice up and down. but he misses easy pots
                            however my target is to fix unintentional right side , so i played up and down and slowed the video down and i can see that on delivery i put right side. i know its different when you have an object ball, however playing up and down and slowing the video down and watching the cue ball , u can tell if you are putting unintensional side, which i think if i fix it, i can improve my game alot

my average break is around 60-80 , however i have never made a century yet.
                            You are doing amazing to have an average break around 60-80 with all your problems. I feel I play ok and don't have too many issues that worry me in my game but as an average break I'd honestly say it's more like 30, I do get regular 50+ breaks but no way that would be my average.

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                              You are doing amazing to have an average break around 60-80 with all your problems. I feel I play ok and don't have too many issues that worry me in my game but as an average break I'd honestly say it's more like 30, I do get regular 50+ breaks but no way that would be my average.
                              Hardly anyone has an average of 60-80. We all exaggerate our skill levels, and have a tendency to think the best we've ever played at is our natural level, when it most certainly isn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X