grip problemo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
    I agree with this assessment. I think in a right-handed player cue rotation will cause left-to-right unintentional side and it is caused by the back fingers gripping the butt, but if you can stop this happening until after the strike then you're good. With me I'm getting right-to-left striking and unintentional left hand side and when I video myself my grip hand tends to go out to the right but as to what's causing this I have no idea. I've tried the muscle memory thing cueing along the baulkline in slow motion and my cueing seems perfect but when I apply power it shows up.

I recently found out gripping the cue with just the second finger seems to help and also using the loop bridge on power screw shots. This is the one thing that's pissed me off since I came back to the game. As far as I remember I never had this problem in the 80's when I played a lot better so I have no idea where or why it came about.
    mine might have started after the back disk surgery, however i dont know how yours might have started

however i agree with barry that cue might turn after the delivery, but as long as you can strike centre. in my case i keep hitting right side on the cueball

Comment

Originally Posted by 15yellows View Post
      wow, this is what i was thinking, i spent hours just staring @ my grip and thinking for hours...... lol people's faces were like whatsup!

i thought, it might be bcaz when you squeez at the end of delivery , ofcourse the fingers will move or turn the cue alittle bit, then i also thought about the cue butt plate, facing up or down etc, which might be causing the cue to turn. therefor i also tried with the cue palet to the right etc

and now ur comment, so valuable right now for me
      As Bruce Lee said ''don't look, feel!'' You will know if you've rotated or not, even with your eyes closed. Play a shot and think about how the cue feels on the inside of your index finger and thumb. The inside of the thumb should feel upright. Feel it. Maintain this upright feeling throughout the shot. Open you back fingers gently and naturally, don't play the shot hard, just a plain ball sitter. Work on maintaining this feeling. You should have decided on the shot already, so you don't need to think about that part during the shot, just feel the cue. Check the chevrons at the end to check for rotation but after a while you won't need them; you will know if you've rotated from feel. Learning to not rotate the cue and deliver the cue straight is quite easy. Maintaining this over time is the tricky bit but it can be achieved with work. My students have had some success in this regard, with perseverance.

People dropping the index finger for a Higgins grip is crazy and unnecessary. Besides, it's sub-optimal on many levels in snooker to adopt this grip. Those who play under the shoulder more than those who play deep under the chest tend to have fewer problems with cue rotation and going offline particularly on power shots. I believe body mechanics are at play with under the chest.
      Last edited by Little Reggie; 18 August 2017, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
        There is more here from 1 minute:
        1:14 where he says " if you follow too much and go around your body, it makes the cue to the left for right handed player "
        this is exactly how i play, however i asked barry and my coach, they say even if the cue goes to the left it happens after the impact, which is fine and should not be worried about

Comment

Originally Posted by Little Reggie View Post
          As Bruce Lee said ''don't look, feel!'' You will know if you've rotated or not, even with your eyes closed. Play a shot and think about how the cue feels on the inside of your index finger and thumb. The inside of the thumb should feel upright. Feel it. Maintain this upright feeling throughout the shot. Open you back fingers gently and naturally, don't play the shot hard, just a plain ball sitter. Work on maintaining this feeling. You should have decided on the shot already, so you don't need to think about that part during the shot, just feel the cue. Check the chevrons at the end to check for rotation but after a while you won't need them; you will know if you've rotated from feel. Learning to not rotate the cue and deliver the cue straight is quite easy. Maintaining this over time is the tricky bit but it can be achieved with work. My students have had some success in this regard, with perseverance.

People dropping the index finger for a Higgins grip is crazy and unnecessary. Besides, it's sub-optimal on many levels in snooker to adopt this grip. Those who play under the shoulder more than those who play deep under the chest tend to have fewer problems with cue rotation and going offline particularly on power shots. I believe body mechanics are at play with under the chest.
          tnx, by the way what did u mean by under the shoulder ?
          you mean the way neil robertson plays? he uses alots of wrist and barely hit his chest and stops right there.
          i personally drop my shoulder alittle bit, not as much as ronnie or stephen lee. after the delivery the grip hits the chest and it goes to left, and coaches say its fine since its after the delivery.

somehow i can ignore the rotation of the cue since its about 1-3 mm when i look at the grain on the cue. but i am having problem with unintentional side on the cueball. when i roll shots or play slow i cannot see the reaction on the cueball , but if i play follow or power shots, then as soon as the cueball hits the cusion , i can see lots of right hand side on the cueball. therefor i miss lots of ball. and the reason slow shots goes into pocket is bcaz the slower you play the less the cueball pushes the object ball offline. the harder you hit the more cueball with react to side and miss a shot

Comment

Working...
          X