Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grip problemo

Hi

i put a straight line with a pencil on my cue, and after the delivery that straight line goes to the right, when in address position that line is in center of the cue, however when i pull the cue ball i can see that line is still in the center, but after the delivery it goes to the right, not too much but i can tell that its not in the center of the cue

i tried to remove my supporting 3 fingers and just played with thumb and forfinger with a ring shaped grip and after the delivery that line is in the center, however as soon as i place the other 3 fingers same thing happens

my grip is not too tight, i can tell this might be happening becaz after the delivery i might squeeze the cue, and it tends to turn the cue to the right by 1-2 mm

i practiced with thumb and forfinger for awhile and i can see the cue going very straight with that practice line on the centre of the cue, but no matter how long i practice , as soon as i place my other 3 fingers same thing happens. it only happens after the delivery, so i open my 3 fingers very loose in backswing and i can see that the line on the cue is straight, but after the delivery it tends to turn to the right

i also can see that i put right hand side on the cueball after the delivery ( unintentional ) not sure if this is becaz of my grip aswell, or specially bcaz of this problem

spent hours of practice solo, on my cuing but i still struggle
    any one got any idea?
    tnx

I am supposed to be an expert on all things regarding snooker technique and I myself have a problem of delivering the cue right-to-left and putting left-hand side on the cueball and I have been unable to correct this and I have tried every method I know of. I agree with you the 1-finger forefinger grip does reduce it however for me it didn't cure it but I have started using that grip exclusively and I keep the forefinger very loose.

The acid test for what you are doing to the cueball is a straight in black ball with the cueball about 1ft behind the black and screwing back to the cushion underneath your body and watch for any side on the cueball. With me I always have left-hand side on the cueball anytime I use any power.

I would like to see someone offer a correction to this problem and I will try every one of them that I haven't tried before.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
      I am supposed to be an expert on all things regarding snooker technique and I myself have a problem of delivering the cue right-to-left and putting left-hand side on the cueball and I have been unable to correct this and I have tried every method I know of. I agree with you the 1-finger forefinger grip does reduce it however for me it didn't cure it but I have started using that grip exclusively and I keep the forefinger very loose.

The acid test for what you are doing to the cueball is a straight in black ball with the cueball about 1ft behind the black and screwing back to the cushion underneath your body and watch for any side on the cueball. With me I always have left-hand side on the cueball anytime I use any power.

I would like to see someone offer a correction to this problem and I will try every one of them that I haven't tried before.
      hi
      i spent alot of time practicing and see what might be causing this
      1: butt of my cue is too narrow
      2: butt plate of the cue facing towards the fingers ( so when we close the grip , the fingers hit the plate )

however i tried turning the plated to the right , like stephen hendry, however i only used it today so i cannot tell the result yet

just my thought, but it might be, might be that butt of my cue is abit too narrow
      what do you think terry?

i played without chest to see if chest is causing this problem, but no
      the only difference in my case i can see is that when i play only with 2 fingers, thumb+forfinger i can cue straighter , but as soon as the last 3 fingers come to play, the straight line on the cue turns to the right

Comment

Originally Posted by 15yellows View Post
        hi
        i spent alot of time practicing and see what might be causing this
        1: butt of my cue is too narrow
        2: butt plate of the cue facing towards the fingers ( so when we close the grip , the fingers hit the plate )

however i tried turning the plated to the right , like stephen hendry, however i only used it today so i cannot tell the result yet

just my thought, but it might be, might be that butt of my cue is abit too narrow
        what do you think terry?

i played without chest to see if chest is causing this problem, but no
        the only difference in my case i can see is that when i play only with 2 fingers, thumb+forfinger i can cue straighter , but as soon as the last 3 fingers come to play, the straight line on the cue turns to the right
        It's the fact my grip hand moves to the right during delivery and it's something I've been doing for a long time. I believe Stuart Bingham had the same problem and conquered it by doing the sight-rite drills.
        Terry Davidson

Comment

It's the fact my grip hand moves to the right during delivery and it's something I've been doing for a long time. I believe Stuart Bingham had the same problem and conquered it by doing the sight-rite drills.
          I started playing I think around 6/7 years ago after an 11 year lay off and played for 20 odd years before that.

I have had this problem since I picked a cue up again. I go through phases of losing it for a bit but I can go in the next day and it's back again. I have spent a crazy amount of hours every week searching for a cure, practicing techniques, trying radical stuff and driving home seriously cheesed off and looking at my golf clubs again.

My long game has long gone the experimenting has killed any natural flow I once had.

At the end of all this, If I were to bet on anything as the cause for me, it would be dominant eye. I have tried moving the cue in various positions but I'm sure it's this and my inability nowadays to get through the ball.

The lessons I have had are all understandable and and have all added to my game but here I stand with the same issue I had when I picked the cue up again.

Yes, the grain on the top of my cue also turns to the right after the ball has been struck, I hit the cue ball right of centre and miss long balls to the right!
          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

If you are one about a rotating cue: I really wouldn't worry about it.

Loads of Pro's do it: check out the darts on Selby's cue - they start facing his left ear and finish vertical....

Comment

Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post

Loads of Pro's do it: check out the darts on Selby's cue - they start facing his left ear and finish vertical....
              For me it's about knowing you are doing a few things wrong but uncertain what is causing cueing across the line or imparting unwanted side; that's where the fun starts.
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Got a mate at Cons club who starts out orthodox position but then rotates his hand 90 degrees. His hand is pointing inwards at the end of the shot. He still makes tons but says that he has poor grip and technique. I must agree with him, I think he's capable of 140s with better tech but he's older now so unlikely to change. Adopt the V ring grip, concentrate on the inside of the index finger being upright as you feather, take the cue back, deliver and make sure it's still upright and the chevrons haven't rotated even a bit. Repeat. Cue rotation often results in going off line, the most common reasons for missing a pot. Going offline fan also be caused by elbow drop and bringing the shoulder into the shot. Another reason to avoid cue rotation is clean ball striking.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                  For me it's about knowing you are doing a few things wrong but uncertain what is causing cueing across the line or imparting unwanted side; that's where the fun starts.
                  Or let your brain deal with it?

I did ask BS about it

Barry Stark Snooker Coach5 months ago
                  SLIGHT rotation of the cue is common but not intentional by me or Terry Griffiths. As long as you cue straight and the rotation is only slight it will not affect the shot. It usually happens with the re-furling of the fingers as they close back around the cue.

(I also referenced a Griffiths Youtube thang.)

Comment

I did ask BS about it

SLIGHT rotation of the cue is common but not intentional by me or Terry Griffiths. As long as you cue straight and the rotation is only slight it will not affect the shot. It usually happens with the re-furling of the fingers as they close back around the cue.

I agree with this assessment. I think in a right-handed player cue rotation will cause left-to-right unintentional side and it is caused by the back fingers gripping the butt, but if you can stop this happening until after the strike then you're good. With me I'm getting right-to-left striking and unintentional left hand side and when I video myself my grip hand tends to go out to the right but as to what's causing this I have no idea. I've tried the muscle memory thing cueing along the baulkline in slow motion and my cueing seems perfect but when I apply power it shows up.

I recently found out gripping the cue with just the second finger seems to help and also using the loop bridge on power screw shots. This is the one thing that's pissed me off since I came back to the game. As far as I remember I never had this problem in the 80's when I played a lot better so I have no idea where or why it came about.
                    Terry Davidson

Comment

https://youtu.be/3Jl8gyTR2hQ
                      here is staurt bingham, however i can see that they are turning their head to find the correct line of sightright, and it all again comes to dominant eye

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                        I started playing I think around 6/7 years ago after an 11 year lay off and played for 20 odd years before that.

I have had this problem since I picked a cue up again. I go through phases of losing it for a bit but I can go in the next day and it's back again. I have spent a crazy amount of hours every week searching for a cure, practicing techniques, trying radical stuff and driving home seriously cheesed off and looking at my golf clubs again.

My long game has long gone the experimenting has killed any natural flow I once had.

At the end of all this, If I were to bet on anything as the cause for me, it would be dominant eye. I have tried moving the cue in various positions but I'm sure it's this and my inability nowadays to get through the ball.

The lessons I have had are all understandable and and have all added to my game but here I stand with the same issue I had when I picked the cue up again.

Yes, the grain on the top of my cue also turns to the right after the ball has been struck, I hit the cue ball right of centre and miss long balls to the right!
                        wow
                        you seem to be a good player then, hows ur game now?

exactly like mine, the grain on top of the cue turns to right, but i also put unintentional ride hand side on the cue ball

Comment

the grain on top of the cue turns to the right after the delivery, but also i can see that i am putting unintentional right side on cueball all the time or atleast medium to power range shots

Comment

I did ask BS about it

wow, this is what i was thinking, i spent hours just staring @ my grip and thinking for hours...... lol people's faces were like whatsup!

i thought, it might be bcaz when you squeez at the end of delivery , ofcourse the fingers will move or turn the cue alittle bit, then i also thought about the cue butt plate, facing up or down etc, which might be causing the cue to turn. therefor i also tried with the cue palet to the right etc

and now ur comment, so valuable right now for me

Comment

There is more here from 1 minute:

Comment

Working...
                              X