Making Ebony Butt Darker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Ebony Butt Darker

The ebony on the butt of my cue has faded quite a bit and I was just wondering if there's any way that I can get it looking black and glossy like new again. I was thinking of using Tru-Oil on it but not sure.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Making Ebony Butt Darker

why start another thread on the same subject you have done before and have recieved responses already?
    in my previous reply I should have added that anything on the butt will not keep its shine especially when used and handled as the natural oils and dirty/chalk on hands will take shine off but (as said) some gentle cleaning (slightly damp cloth) and buffing dry can bring back a shine.

The only thing that will make a colour change is coloured polishes or paints.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      why start another thread on the same subject you have done before and have recieved responses already?
      in my previous reply I should have added that anything on the butt will not keep its shine especially when used and handled as the natural oils and dirty/chalk on hands will take shine off but (as said) some gentle cleaning (slightly damp cloth) and buffing dry can bring back a shine.
      The only thing that will make a colour change is coloured polishes or paints.
      Thanks Dean. I started a new thread because I didn't get much info on the replies on the other thread. It says on the Tru Oil instructions to sand/use steel wool before applying. Can I use sandpaper or steel wool on an ebony butt of a cue and will it not ruin it?

Comment

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
        The ebony on the butt of my cue has faded quite a bit and I was just wondering if there's any way that I can get it looking black and glossy like new again. I was thinking of using Tru-Oil on it but not sure.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
        faded? Is it real ebony or dyed wood? I've not seen ebony fade before, unless you left it in the sun?

Comment

Originally Posted by Little Reggie View Post
          faded? Is it real ebony or dyed wood? I've not seen ebony fade before, unless you left it in the sun?
          Maybe 'faded' was the wrong word, it's just gone a bit dull and I wanted something to bring it up nice and black and glossy looking again like when it was new, something that would last.

Comment

Thanks Dean. I started a new thread because I didn't get much info on the replies on the other thread. It says on the Tru Oil instructions to sand/use steel wool before applying. Can I use sandpaper or steel wool on an ebony butt of a cue and will it not ruin it?
            Not a great deal of info but couple of members used it before. Check this thread out, just a shame pictures are no longer there.

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ight=Gun+stock

Comment

Maybe 'faded' was the wrong word, it's just gone a bit dull and I wanted something to bring it up nice and black and glossy looking again like when it was new, something that would last.
              Blimey, you may get it back to near new shine but you'll put some elbow grease in to get near. Manufacturers have buffing machines. Personally, I'd just mask off the ash and spray the fingers with two thin coats of transparent acrylic lacquer. Glossy, shiny, smooth finish, job done. Feels better and less slip in the fingers compared to wood/oil finish. Lacquer also protects the ebony from moisture and knocks and that's why Powerglide put six coats of it on their top cues in the 80s.
              Last edited by Little Reggie; 23 August 2017, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Tru-Oil will give you a very shiny finish, depends on preference but I've seen it on a few Cue Butts and it's too shiny for my liking- Google 'Gun Stock and Tru-Oil' and you'll see plenty on pics with the finish.

Comment

Dean is right here. You can make it shinny and glossy like a virgin cue but within no time, perspiration from your fingers and palms will kill it and you will get back to that fade aspect you mentionned. Though I think the quality of the ebony is playing a lo there. The ebony used on my Jason Owens seems to be of excellent quality as it almost nver lost its shine, black aspect while the one used on my Ton Praram (as the associated rosewood) is fading away couple of weeks after oiling it.
                  Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

colour it in with a permanent marker.

Comment

Working...
                    X