• Trapper
    replied
    Thanks for the information!

Trapper

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    I have been in conversation with a top referee and he says the request to Play Again (and also replace balls if a F&M) is binding, regardless of which player of a team makes the request.
    He also said that if you are the partner and was to play next and think it should have been your choice, a private team chat off table may be in order

So nothing in the rules as to which player makes the request, only that the request comes from the non-offending side and it can not be withdrawn.
    That makes sense as soon as one member from the team declares an intention they shouldn't be able to change their minds. It's down to them to confer prior to declaring.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    I still believe the play again is binding, because your opponents are both players and a play again is binding according to the rules. Nothing in there about it having to be the next striker at the table being the only one to make the call. Maybe a ref will chime in and clear this up for us.

Trapper
    I have been in conversation with a top referee and he says the request to Play Again (and also replace balls if a F&M) is binding, regardless of which player of a team makes the request.
    He also said that if you are the partner and was to play next and think it should have been your choice, a private team chat off table may be in order

So nothing in the rules as to which player makes the request, only that the request comes from the non-offending side and it can not be withdrawn.

Leave a comment:

• acesinc
    replied
    I still believe the play again is binding, because your opponents are both players and a play again is binding according to the rules. Nothing in there about it having to be the next striker at the table being the only one to make the call. Maybe a ref will chime in and clear this up for us.

Trapper
    I am not a registered referee but I did receive proper initial training a few years back. Have not done any continued follow up training since then and no proper tournament experience, just social frame experience. This really is Londonlad's territory when he shows up to straighten it out. As I read the rule, I absolutely agree with Trapper. The relevant quote is Section 3., Rule...

"13. Play Again
    Once a player has requested an opponent to play again after a foul or
    requested the replacement of ball(s) after a FOUL AND A MISS, such request
    cannot be withdrawn. "

Generally, the Rules are very specific and intentional in the exact wording used to convey the thought. That is the reason that the entirety of Section 2. is devoted to "Definitions" to be very clear exactly the meaning of the words used in the text. So this Rule states, "Once a player has requested...". It would seem to purposely not state, "Once the incoming striker has requested...". So to me "player" is used to indicate any player on the non-fouling team. In fact, "Striker" is specifically defined within Section 2. so if it was required for the "Striker" to be the one to state, "Play Again", then one would think that Section 3., Rule 13. would be written as such.

Later in Section 3., Rule 17. even specifies:

"...
    (e) Partners may confer during a frame but not whilst one is the striker and
    has approached the table until the break has ended with a non-scoring
    stroke or foul."

And again, to me, this says that partners are certainly allowed to talk about whether or not they ought request a "Play Again", but if either of them actually says "Play Again" to the opponent, then by my reading, it is binding.

Leave a comment:

• Trapper
    replied
    Doubles

Trapper

Leave a comment:

• Little Reggie
    replied
    If A and B are one pair, against C & D, and A has laid a snooker (say), which C then misses by a mile, I believe it is B who has the authority to call play again as he would face the table if he did not make that request. That's how our league plays it. If A makes C play again, the request it is not binding as it's not his call and B should tell A to shut the beep beep up, then A should apologise to the opposition for sticking his beak in. :biggrin-new: However, while seated, I believe it's fine for A and B to discuss 'play again' but B must announce it. I forget who calls 'foul and a miss/foul' though, is it A, the person who laid the snooker, or B, the person who inspects the table after the foul?
    Last edited by Little Reggie; 26 August 2017, 08:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    As has been stated above the request of "Play Again" is binding and stated in Rule 3.13:
    "Sec 3.13 Play Again
    Once a player has requested an opponent to play again after a foul ..., such request cannot be withdrawn. ...
    "

There is no indication in the rules for "four-handed" games as to which player can or can not make the request, as all other related sections name the non-offending player can make such requests.
    When I play doubles any such requests have not been challenged by the requestor's partner so have never considered this point before
    Does this mean the rules need another rewrite to clarify the situation or does the rules consider the partnership as the non-offending player and either player can make requests?
    Interested to read any registered referees' thoughts

Leave a comment:

• andy carson
    replied
    I would say no as he isnt the "currnt" striker of the ball or person about to play a shot.

Leave a comment:

• Trapper
    replied
    Doubles

Thanks for the input guys. Hopefully, a ref can give us an official ruling.

Trapper

Leave a comment:

• blahblah01
    replied
    Definitely a Free Ball

My guess would be that as soon as the "Play Again" Command is made then it holds...

Leave a comment:

• Shockerz
    replied
    This will be an interesting one. I would gave thought that as tbey play as a pair, if one of them declared their intention to you it is binding.

I don't know the rule either but surely it's down to them to confer before declaring.

Maybe not though?

Leave a comment:

• Ramon
    replied
    Our opponent requested that my partner play again and he was getting ready to cue when the opponents partner jumped up and said it was not his partners decision since he was not next up to play and that it did not bind them to the play again. His partner made the request even tho he was not next up at the table. Is the play again still binding? I thought when a player made the request it was binding even if he was not next up at the table.

Trapper

Trapper
    agreed . It's binding .

i'm no ref btw . last time i played doubles , was years ago.
    So keep an eye on this thread for others replays, my friend . just in case we're wrong !!

Leave a comment:

• Trapper
    replied
    Doubles

Our opponent requested that my partner play again and he was getting ready to cue when the opponents partner jumped up and said it was not his partners decision since he was not next up to play and that it did not bind them to the play again. His partner made the request even tho he was not next up at the table. Is the play again still binding? I thought when a player made the request it was binding even if he was not next up at the table.

Trapper

Trapper

Leave a comment:

• Ramon
    replied
    Good morning !!

Your partner request your opponent to play again if a foul is committed ???
    Is this your question ?

Well, in that case , Yes it is . but in this case he's gonna lose his turn .

The rule <<<< If a foul is committed and a request to play again is made, the player who committed the foul plays the next stroke and the order of play is unchanged. If the foul was called for playing out of turn, the offender's partner will lose a turn, whether or not the offender is asked to play again. >>>

I have'nt played Doubles for a long time . Keep a eye on this thread please .
    In case I'm wrong , i'm sure others will correct me .
    Last edited by Ramon; 26 August 2017, 01:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Trapper
    started a topic Doubles

Doubles

If either you are your playing partner request your opponent to play again is it binding even if your partner is not officially the next one up at the table?

Trapper
Working...
X