Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

During tournaments why do the cloth-cleaning guys use the pockets as a dustbin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• During tournaments why do the cloth-cleaning guys use the pockets as a dustbin?

Surely if they sweep the rubbish into a pocket, the netting and support will become dirty and therefore need a good clean as well. But they never seem bother. Maybe they could get with the times and use a vacuum cleaner.
    (I watch it on Betfair so maybe this behind-the-scenes excitement is not shown elsewhere.)

Originally Posted by Dirty Pockets View Post
    Surely if they sweep the rubbish into a pocket, the netting and support will become dirty and therefore need a good clean as well. But they never seem bother. Maybe they could get with the times and use a vacuum cleaner.
    (I watch it on Betfair so maybe this behind-the-scenes excitement is not shown elsewhere.)
    Vaccum cleaner would raise the nap and ruin the cloth.

Comment

I don't think it really matters in tournaments because with new cloths there isn't much accumulated dirt during the course of the few days they are brushed.

I've recently changed the nets and leathers on my table, which has reduced the marks on the balls to a minimum. I got fed up with cleaning the balls only for grease spots to appear all over the balls within an hour. I've also started using the brush attachment on the vacuum cleaner before regular brushing, blocking and ironing in an attempt to keep the leathers and nets in good clean condition. It's not huge suction so i don't think it's a problem with slate filler. I'd be interested to find something better though, that is, bigger and easier to use, perhaps a handheld rechargeable device.

I seem to remember someone else talking about using a brush head vacuum attachment (Maryfield?).

So, anyone else using vacuum brushes please share.

Comment

not necessarily. a vacuumcleaner with 20% of full speed on suction, works quite well, as long as you have a special head that actually leaves a tiny gap between the brushhead and cloth on the edges. This way you dont create a total vacuum, and you dont "overly suck (lol)" on the nap. We have used this for years in my club, and all players wonder why our cloth is kept in such mint condition for a full year even with no. 10 cloth on the table. To avoid dirt coming back on the table, they should vacuum with a quiet handheld one. but it will never happen, too many traditionalists in the sport. Same goes for polishing the balls in the interval. Even most players dont like it which i find odd. It all helps combating kicks.

Comment

Working...
        X