• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockerz
    replied
    Originally Posted by sn000ker View Post
    Hi all,

Yesterday I had my very first (amateur) tournament match (in which I got miserably beaten). The defeat is not my concern, but the fact that I was nowhere near my A (or even my B) game is what worries me. I missed easy shots and my cue ball control was horrible. On the other hand, when I practice alone or against someone else, I can play to a fairly reasonable standard, and even fell the enjoyment of being able to pull of some exhibition shots.

For some reason, when I approached the shots in my match, a feeling of "doubt" creeped in my head, which I think was the main reason why my performance was so bad. Where does this feeling come from, and how can I avoid it? I know that I could have easily won the game had I played with confidence as I do during practice sessions, however here I felt doubt at almost every shot, which made my game quite bad.

Does any of you ave experience dealing with this issue? How can I face it and make it disappear?

Thank you!
    Every match situation has value to it and it nothing like a practice game.

The fact you jumped into tournament play is the first hurdle and now you get to find out how to deal with it being different.

My advice to start with with would just experience a few tournaments first before you dive into what to fix, just soak up the experience and let yourself have a chance to settle a bit.

I remember reading Terry Griffiths book and in it he said I did not get better in pro matches until I learned to lose and not be so hard on myself, tat sounds right to me.

We probably all play better in practice as our heads are clear of any consequence when we miss a shot.

I guess for people to give advice in the best way forward for you would first be to understand what level you are at as there is a range of difference between playing your first club tournament and pro ams, money matches and on the tour. Obviously there are similarities but it would help people better understand what to help you focus on and if it is in fact something to worry about!

Leave a comment:

• sn000ker
    started a topic Worrying inconsistency in playing ability

Worrying inconsistency in playing ability

Hi all,

Yesterday I had my very first (amateur) tournament match (in which I got miserably beaten). The defeat is not my concern, but the fact that I was nowhere near my A (or even my B) game is what worries me. I missed easy shots and my cue ball control was horrible. On the other hand, when I practice alone or against someone else, I can play to a fairly reasonable standard, and even fell the enjoyment of being able to pull of some exhibition shots.

For some reason, when I approached the shots in my match, a feeling of "doubt" creeped in my head, which I think was the main reason why my performance was so bad. Where does this feeling come from, and how can I avoid it? I know that I could have easily won the game had I played with confidence as I do during practice sessions, however here I felt doubt at almost every shot, which made my game quite bad.

Does any of you ave experience dealing with this issue? How can I face it and make it disappear?

Thank you!
Working...
X