Need help & advice on dealing with nerves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help & advice on dealing with nerves

Hello everyone, I need some help and tips on bringing practice confidence into a match. I've noticed that playing solo and playing in a match are very different things. I am usually practicing by myself in the club, and recently been playing more matches. I find that I am usually more tense in a match and find it difficult to pot like I do while practicing.

Would like to hear some opinions, tips and personal experiences. Cheers!

Originally Posted by burgerunderwear View Post
    Hello everyone, I need some help and tips on bringing practice confidence into a match. I've noticed that playing solo and playing in a match are very different things. I am usually practicing by myself in the club, and recently been playing more matches. I find that I am usually more tense in a match and find it difficult to pot like I do while practicing.

Good morning,

You're not the only one. even the best players in the world have difficulties when it comes to this part of the game.

I can tell you the best thing you can do is, forget who your opponent is and do'nt let your mind get dominated by your opponent. Clear your mind up. Be focused and at the same time , try to enjoy the game. ( after all , it's just a game ) .

Play as fast as you can and
    Try to forget the ball that you just have played, either you pott it or miss it.

However, this is easier said than get it done, of cours.

Keep an eye on this thread , I'm sure Others will follow with better advices and that can be useful to you .

Happy potting !! :snooker:
    Last edited by Ramon; 27 October 2017, 05:26 AM.

Comment

I'll share one thing and that is too not play as fast as you can.
      Practice how you play - play how you practice!
      ---
      You can PM me if you want to learn more.
      Over 10 years pro cue sport experience in playing, travelling, eating and beating up opponents :snooker:
      "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
      National Snooker Expo
      25-27 October 2019
      http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

I think what Ramon means is not to get too caught up in thinking "what if?" when you are in a match, which nobody does in practice because it doesn't matter. So if you keep your pace round the table nice and quick you don't have time to think about it.

Comment

Just to clear something up !!

As Jonny mentioned ,

Play as fast as you can is NOT the same as play fast . that means do 'nt overthink the shot and do not take time more than necessary.
          It's just about* most important thing* you should do in order to shut the pressure down .* This theory is also based on science with regard to human body . :snooker:

Comment

Playing in the zone is what it's all about.
            Within 'the zone' a player does not over think nor speed up their play.
            How to get into 'the zone' is something some players find easy and what others struggle with.
            'The zone' will dispel nerves and any anxiety a player may otherwise encounter during match play
            Last edited by the lone wolf; 27 October 2017, 12:27 PM.
            National Snooker Expo
            25-27 October 2019

Comment

The more matches you play, the more comfortable you get. I find that since I only play a couple tournaments a year, the significance of these events are increased quite a bit for me, so I get more nervous. As I play more tournaments and accrue better results, I feel a bit less pressure. One bad match or tournament doesn't stick with me too much, because I know I have done better in the past and will do better in the future.

I'd also suggest focusing a bit on your breathing if you are getting overly nervous. Avoid short shallow breathes, it just makes things worse. If you are feeling tense stretches may help there too.

Try to unclutter your mind and focus on just playing the game and about how nervous you are, or what might happen if you win or lose or miss. When competing, the only thing I worry about is keeping absolutely still. It helps as a 'swing thought' and lets me just play.

Getting over this issue is a process. The more you play, the more natural matches begin to feel.

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
                Playing in the zone is what it's all about.
                Within 'the zone' a player does not over think nor speed up their play.
                How to get into 'the zone' is something some players find easy and what others struggle with.
                'The zone' will dispel nerves and any anxiety a player may otherwise encounter during match play
                Lets talk about this matter ( THE ZONE ) . No criticism to your post, btw.
                AAMOF I think you brought up an interesting point here.

The Zone. What is it? It's a word that I more often hear from the players. I was in the zone. !!
                Why is it and how come you get in that (so-called Zone)?
                And why (play as fast as you can) is a necessary step in order to get in that magical zone? ( and not the other way around )

The moment you start the match, your thoughts are all over the place.
                You think about stuff like:
                1-What if i miss?
                2-the noise in the club?
                3-others are watching me playing this shot
                4-Gonna take more time than i usual do, because my opponent is a decent player and i can'nt miss this one
                5- How could i miss this shot ffs , I pott that shot 9/10 times .
                6-..................................
                and so on
                (and this usually happens unconsciously, you're not even aware of it).

So what happens with your mind and body at this stage?

Your brain is gonna have to think about alot of different stuff and this while trying to focus and concentrat on your game ( shot ), AND ALL OF THIS HAPPENS , AT THE SAME TIME.
                This means extra work for your brain. This means extra effort for your brain. ( H's gonna have to try harder ) .
                Extra work for your brain means he's gonna need extra food. (which is in this case oxygen).
                to supplying himself from extra oxygen, your brain is gonna produce a stuff called: anxiety !!
                This nasty stuff will make sure that your heart beats harder and faster. This gonna end up in a higher blood pressure.
                Higher blood pressure makes ensure that your brain gets more blood . And this, in order to provide him from more oxygen.

This whole process is known by players and coaches as : pressure.
                The first 5 minutes can be useful. After that, your muscles burn more sugar than usual and this gonna end up in blocked muscles. A lot of tens in your muscles and you can'nt move and cue relax anymore.

SO, how we deal with it?
                You simpley gonna have to shut your brain down.
                Once you play as fast as you can, you do'nt give your brain the chance to think about different stuff at the same time.
                The result would be : Less anxiety less pressure.
                And at this stage the player gets the impression that : he is in the zone.

Hece, if you talk to players who think they were in the so-called zone , and ask them : how was it ?
                Most of them will tell you: I played faster than usual.

They are not aware they did'nt played any faster. They just played as fast as they can.
                This feels like they played faster, because they normally (when they are'nt in the zone) don't play as fast as they can and over think the shot.

Complicated stuff eh ? !! ( Just kidding my friend )
                It was a interesting point you brought up !!
                Last edited by Ramon; 28 October 2017, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Thanks for all the awesome replies so far! I truly appreciate all of it

Comment

Thanks for all the awesome replies so far! I truly appreciate all of it
                    What level do you currently play at, maybe easier for people to give you good advice if they know the level you can play.

Comment

Try to play the same tempo as your practice tempo even if you get a good thumping in your first load of matches. Do not be afraid of losing by trying it..
                      JP Majestic
                      3/4
                      57"
                      17oz
                      9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post

The Zone. What is it? It's a word that I more often hear from the players. I was in the zone. !!
                        And why (play as fast as you can) is a necessary step in order to get in that magical zone? ( and not the other way around )

1-What if i miss?
                        2-the noise in the club?
                        4-Gonna take more time than i usual do, because my opponent is a decent player and i can'nt miss this one
                        and so on

Your brain is gonna have to think about alot of different stuff and this while trying to focus and concentrat on your game ( shot ), AND ALL OF THIS HAPPENS , AT THE SAME TIME.
                        This means extra work for your brain. This means extra effort for your brain. ( H's gonna have to try harder ) .
                        Extra work for your brain means he's gonna need extra food. (which is in this case oxygen).
                        to supplying himself from extra oxygen, your brain is gonna produce a stuff called: anxiety !!
                        This nasty stuff will make sure that your heart beats harder and faster. This gonna end up in a higher blood pressure.
                        Higher blood pressure makes ensure that your brain gets more blood . And this, in order to provide him from more oxygen.

The first 5 minutes can be useful. After that, your muscles burn more sugar than usual and this gonna end up in blocked muscles. A lot of tens in your muscles and you can'nt move and cue relax anymore.

SO, how we deal with it?
                        Once you play as fast as you can, you do'nt give your brain the chance to think about different stuff at the same time.

Hece, if you talk to players who think they were in the so-called zone , and ask them : how was it ?

They are not aware they did'nt played any faster. They just played as fast as they can.
                        This feels like they played faster, because they normally (when they are'nt in the zone) don't play as fast as they can and over think the shot.

And if all that doesn't work?, go get the gun again..hahaha..

Pull trigger fast, don't over think it...
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by throtts View Post
                          And if all that doesn't work?, go get the gun again..hahaha..

Pull trigger fast, don't over think it...
                          I prefer Jack Daniel's !! works all the time my friend .
                          You can'nt go wrong with it .

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post

1-What if i miss?
                            2-the noise in the club?
                            and so on

That's why they call it a zone

Know want the zone is

SO, how we deal with it?

Not necessarily

You can be taught this.
                            The zone is a set of routines that are practiced repeatedly just like practicing ones sport or activity...
                            And no pro will ever inform another player of how they get into the zone because they simply won't give up a particular advantage.
                            That said, what get myself into the zone won't necessarily get another player into the zone because it's all psychological which is what only an expert can help or assist with this.
                            Like a previous poster said, Jack Daniels works for them.
                            In other words, do what it takes!
                            National Snooker Expo
                            25-27 October 2019

Comment

Is Jack Daniels a coach..
                              JP Majestic
                              3/4
                              57"
                              17oz
                              9.5mm Elk

Comment

Working...