Need help & advice on dealing with nerves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by markz View Post
    What level do you currently play at, maybe easier for people to give you good advice if they know the level you can play.
    Not a very high level really, I've only played slightly over a year now. Highest break in match is only about 25..

Comment

Forget about nerves and pressure. Everyone feels it.
      If you want to give yourself a better chance to win, simply do not play do or die shots. Stop going for difficult pots which are way out of almost anyone's ability.
      Develop a good "snooker brain" as players call it.

Comment

Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
        You can be taught this.
        The zone is a set of routines that are practiced repeatedly just like practicing ones sport or activity...
        And no pro will ever inform another player of how they get into the zone because they simply won't give up a particular advantage.
        That said, what get myself into the zone won't necessarily get another player into the zone because it's all psychological which is what only an expert can help or assist with this.
        Like a previous poster said, Jack Daniels works for them.
        In other words, do what it takes!
        Well , this one is interesting !!

I*did'nt say what gets you into the zone will get another player into the zone too .
        I said , what happens with your body and brain .
        We all have a brain / blood / heart.
        You're no exeption of that rule . No one is.
        Your body and mind does'nt act on it's own . You're brain is the one who's gonna* tell your body what to do / Encourage it / or disturb his actions .
        You do undrstand that, right ??
        And yes players are diff when it comes to* psychological part . Agree on that one .
        But even than , Their brains is* the one who settles their actions.
        Players do'nt act diff when it comes to psychological part of the game, just like that !!
        Anything happens in your body and mind has a reason .
        This is not magic .
        Magic happens only in
        *disneyland !!

Comment

Loving all the responses so far guys, I can really take a lot from everyone! =D

Comment

Originally Posted by Ramon View Post
            Well , this one is interesting !!

I*did'nt say what gets you into the zone will get another player into the zone too .
            I said , what happens with your body and brain .
            We all have a brain / blood / heart.
            You're no exeption of that rule . No one is.
            Your body and mind does'nt act on it's own . You're brain is the one who's gonna* tell your body what to do / Encourage it / or disturb his actions .
            You do undrstand that, right ??
            And yes players are diff when it comes to* psychological part . Agree on that one .
            But even than , Their brains is* the one who settles their actions.
            Players do'nt act diff when it comes to psychological part of the game, just like that !!
            Anything happens in your body and mind has a reason .
            This is not magic .
            Magic happens only in
            *disneyland !!
            I did edit your original post but couldn't highlight my small inserts because I'm usin my pad which is more difficult to edit with
            Perhaps explaining it via different sport will help...
            How many time do Germany win crucial football matches (usually against England) on penalties?
            Some say penalties are a lottery others say it is skill, but more crucially it IS a state of mind.
            The zone is simply a positive state of mind that is virtually unbreakable.
            --
            Why do you think Selby is so annoyingly good and consistent?
            Away from his natural talent of course (which most pros are on a par) it's his ability to stay within his own bubble of match play and concentration which takes great mental and physical strength.
            --
            Are you aware of how fit the top players in any cue sport actually are?
            Last edited by the lone wolf; 29 October 2017, 08:17 AM.
            "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
            National Snooker Expo
            25-27 October 2019
            http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

I did edit your original post but couldn't highlight my small inserts because I'm usin my pad which is more difficult to edit with
              Perhaps explaining it via different sport will help...
              How many time do Germany win crucial football matches (usually against England) on penalties?
              Some say penalties are a lottery others say it is skill, but more crucially it IS a state of mind.
              The zone is simply a positive state of mind that is virtually unbreakable.
              --
              Why do you think Selby is so annoyingly good and consistent?
              Away from his natural talent of course (which most pros are on a par) it's his ability to stay within his own bubble of match play and concentration which takes great mental and physical strength.
              --
              Are you aware of how fit the top players in any cue sport actually are?
              your state of mind and consistency or Selby's state of mind, or anyone elsses , does'nt come from space nor gets managed in some kind of magical room in the corner of the street .* Your state of mind or anyone elsses , gets managed in your brain. Which was my point ??

Now , lets take look at your point , shall we ?
              Yes , Some are successfully in training their brain in order to get there and devolp a strong state of mind .
              *some have less success with this matter.
              and everyone has his own way. some practice more diff shots.
              some try to play more matches in order to train their brain.
              And so on ..........
              Whatever works for you .
              I do agree with that part.

Snooker is the game of* reality .* not magic .
              It's not like you pay a visit to the zone in order to say hallo to consistency .
              You gonna have to train your brain in orde to devolp a strong state of mind or getting in to the zone ( as you call it ) . And THAN , you can say hallo to Mr consistency !!
              *In other words, without the permission of your brain you can'nt do anything. Selby neither !! No one can !!

I hope this clear it up abit !! :snooker:
              Last edited by Ramon; 29 October 2017, 09:02 AM.

Comment

your state of mind and consistency or Selby's state of mind, or anyone elsses , does'nt come from space nor gets managed in some kind of magical room in the corner of the street .* Your state of mind or anyone elsses , gets managed in your brain. Which was my point ??

Now , lets take look at your point , shall we ?
                Yes , Some are successfully in training their brain in order to get there and devolp a strong state of mind .
                *some have less success with this matter.
                and everyone has his own way. some practice more diff shots.
                some try to play more matches in order to train their brain.
                And so on ..........
                Whatever works for you .
                I do agree with that part.

Snooker is the game of* reality .* not magic .
                It's not like you pay a visit to the zone in order to say hallo to consistency .
                You gonna have to train your brain in orde to devolp a strong state of mind or getting in to the zone ( as you call it ) . And THAN , you can say hallo to Mr consistency !!
                *In other words, without the permission of your brain you can'nt do anything. Selby neither !! No one can !!

I hope this clear it up abit !! :snooker:
                LOL!
                Mate - you just pretty much summed up exactly what I have been attempting to type. I just ain't gonna type forever...
                More to the point, my first reply to this thread was one of PM and this can be discussed further if that option was to be taken.
                National Snooker Expo
                25-27 October 2019

Comment

LOL!
                  Mate - you just pretty much summed up exactly what I have been attempting to type. I just ain't gonna type forever...
                  More to the point, my first reply to this thread was one of PM and this can be discussed further if that option was to be taken.
                  Well in that case, I learned something from you, friend. which is good. nice job !!

Bed time for me . ( working night ).
                  I'm gonna have a dream of mother teresa holding my hand taking me to the zone !!

Thanks for the chat , btw !!

Comment

Well in that case, I learned something from you, friend. which is good. nice job !!

Bed time for me . ( working night ).
                    I'm gonna have a dream of mother teresa holding my hand taking me to the zone !!

Thanks for the chat , btw !!
                    Sleep well and don't work too hard :snooker:
                    National Snooker Expo
                    25-27 October 2019

Comment

Originally Posted by burgerunderwear View Post
                      Not a very high level really, I've only played slightly over a year now. Highest break in match is only about 25..
                      At that level I think it's more about learning and enjoying your snooker than worrying about taking your practice game to a match. When you say match, does this mean you're playing in a league or tournaments or just practice frames against other players?

Comment

Originally Posted by markz View Post
                        At that level I think it's more about learning and enjoying your snooker than worrying about taking your practice game to a match. When you say match, does this mean you're playing in a league or tournaments or just practice frames against other players?
                        Just matches/frames against local club players

Comment

Just matches/frames against local club players
                          Markz asked the right question...
                          Enjoy your game and enjoy playing the game.
                          National Snooker Expo
                          25-27 October 2019

Comment

Markz asked the right question...
                            Enjoy your game and enjoy playing the game.
                            Definitely will continue learning and enjoying. The thing is usually the loser pays and decent-good tables are not cheap here in my city.. quite painful for my wallet to keep on losing. That definitely plays a part in my pressure as well

Comment

Definitely will continue learning and enjoying. The thing is usually the loser pays and decent-good tables are not cheap here in my city.. quite painful for my wallet to keep on losing. That definitely plays a part in my pressure as well
                              I'd say the best plan is to just split table cost and start enjoying the game. At the level you say you're at it's far more important to try to learn from every session than it is to win.

Comment

Hello everyone, I need some help and tips on bringing practice confidence into a match. I've noticed that playing solo and playing in a match are very different things. I am usually practicing by myself in the club, and recently been playing more matches. I find that I am usually more tense in a match and find it difficult to pot like I do while practicing.

Would like to hear some opinions, tips and personal experiences. Cheers!
                                I dont know if this will help you r not, but I had a similar issue, and the advice I was given from an accredited World Snooker coach, was that I should stop playing not to lose (which is what causes you to tense up), and play to win. Easier said than done perhaps, but it helped me.

Smee

Comment

Working...
                                X