Decelerating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decelerating?

I've heard SH in commentary a couple of times now, mentioning deceleration on missed shots. I understand what's meant by this, but on each occasion he's said that you can tell when a player has missed because of deceleration, because the ball is always over-cut as a result.

What I can't get my head around, is why decelerating on the shot should mean the ball is hit thin? What has where you're aiming to hit the object ball got to do with decelerating on the shot?
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Think if you decelerate you just dont hit center cue ball but sure people will corect me
    Current playing cue Trevor White
    3/4 ash cue

Comment

Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
      Think if you decelerate you just dont hit center cue ball but sure people will corect me
      But surely it depends where 'off centre' you hit the cueball. Couldn't decelerating on the shot just as easily mean you hit the object ball thick?
      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

Decelerating can throw the CB off line..
        JP Majestic
        3/4
        57"
        17oz
        9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
          I've heard SH in commentary a couple of times now, mentioning deceleration on missed shots. I understand what's meant by this, but on each occasion he's said that you can tell when a player has missed because of deceleration, because the ball is always over-cut as a result.

What I can't get my head around, is why decelerating on the shot should mean the ball is hit thin? What has where you're aiming to hit the object ball got to do with decelerating on the shot?
          Billy I think there is a missing part of the puzzle for your question mate. Each of the shots SH said this on must have been very similar, shots intentionally played with RH side when cutting the object ball to the left. Deceleration on this shot will account for more movement than intended on the cue ball, slower pace means more time for the spin to take effect. You wouldn't over cut every shot just because you decelerated.
          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
            Billy I think there is a missing part of the puzzle for your question mate. Each of the shots SH said this on must have been very similar, shots intentionally played with RH side when cutting the object ball to the left. Deceleration on this shot will account for more movement than intended on the cue ball, slower pace means more time for the spin to take effect. You wouldn't over cut every shot just because you decelerated.
            Ah! Well that makes more sense. Thanks.

However, SH did seem to be stressing that deceleration is identified (in general) by pots which are missed on the thin side.

Comment

Yeah if I miss a pot through deceleration it tends to be thin thinking about it!
              "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post
                Ah! Well that makes more sense. Thanks.

However, SH did seem to be stressing that deceleration is identified (in general) by pots which are missed on the thin side.
                I watched some of the ROS /Higgins match on YouTube after this and heard SH say When ROS was cutting back a black and missed "that was a de cell, you generally always miss a shot thin when cutting a ball back on the low side". This make a lot of sense even playing plain ball, if you decelerate on The low side cutting a ball back it's likely you will impart a fraction of right hand side unintentionally and miss thin.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

When using side the general rule of thumb is to aim a bit thicker, so when decelerating on a centre cue ball tip address the cue will move offline before the strike rather than after it because the hand closes too early, so imparting any side without compensating will mean missing on the thin side.

Over to biggie and Dr. Dave and another hundred pages as to why Hendry doesn't have a clue
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Yep, thats why a lot of pros are punchers and not floaters. You often hear of them saying hit the CB with authority.
                    JP Majestic
                    3/4
                    57"
                    17oz
                    9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                      [...] so imparting any side without compensating will mean missing on the thin side.
                      So when cutting back, off-centre striking - be that left or right of the cueball - will result in missing thin?

Is that because one will throw the cueball, the other will throw the object ball?

I still don't get this.

If I were trying to cut back a black into the left-hand black pocket (left-hand as we look at the tv camera) with the cueball near the black cushion, and I inadvertently applied right-hand side (effectively running-side to widen the bounce of the side cushion), wouldn't that 'throw' the CB to the left slightly, and risk catching the black thick?
                      Last edited by Billy; 10 November 2017, 09:25 PM.

Comment

So when cutting back, off-centre striking - be that left or right of the cueball - will result in missing thin?

Is that because one will throw the cueball, the other will throw the object ball?

I still don't get this.

If I were trying to cut back a black into the left-hand black pocket (left-hand as we look at the tv camera) with the cueball near the black cushion, and I inadvertently applied right-hand side (effectively running-side to widen the bounce of the side cushion), wouldn't that 'throw' the CB to the left slightly, and risk catching the black thick?
                        Your bringing back to life the CIT and SIT debate. Yikes

Anyway, using your example above with the cut back black is hard to verify and predict. There are just too many variables to consider, to give you an answer, imo. I do play side, on purpose, to hold the CB and to keep it tight. Its key when playing to have that close CB, so its a handy tool to know and how to use.

I should add though, I would NOT play side with your black ball cut example. You said near the cushion, so the OB is too far away and if the CB is very close to the cushion then your not going to control it, period. You just drop these in plain ball.
                        JP Majestic
                        3/4
                        57"
                        17oz
                        9.5mm Elk

Comment

I still don't get this.

Putting right hand side on the CB will throw the OB to the left & vice versa.
                          Just keep practicing.
                          After a while it becomes second nature.

Comment

Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
                            Putting right hand side on the CB will throw the OB to the left & vice versa.
                            Just keep practicing.
                            After a while it becomes second nature.
                            Hahaha,,, sure we have all discussed this before..
                            JP Majestic
                            3/4
                            57"
                            17oz
                            9.5mm Elk

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                              [...] so imparting any side without compensating will mean missing on the thin side.

I still don't get this.

If you were close to the black say Only 4 inches away then probably but on the shots where SH mentions the deceleration there is more distance between CB and OB and therefore more time for the spin to take hold and glance off the OB more than intended. You adjust for the throw but the deceleration steals this factor from you.
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                              X