Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foul when ball in hand

Probably a simple question / answer...

Today, opponent went in off, I placed the cue ball in the D. Went down for my shot but touched the brown when placing my bridge hand.

Is that a foul? (I did call a foul on myself) At the back of my mind I was thinking that, as I hadn't struck the cue ball, the frame was still not back in play...

Does my opponent get to place the cue ball? Is the cue ball played from where I placed it?

I gave 4 to my opponent and say he could place the cue ball in the D (probably the wrong thing to do??)

Any ideas?
    #jeSuisMasterBlasterBarryWhite2v1977Luclex(andHisF ictiousTwin)BigSplash!

Foul when ball in hand

Foul - 4 penalty points
    non-offending player choice to play, or let opponent to play, the cue ball where it is.

Ball in hand is only immediately after cue ball left the playing surface
    Last edited by DeanH; 20 November 2017, 10:59 PM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Frames are always in play once the cue ball has been struck at the start of a frame. However, individual balls may become out of play during the course of a frame.

0. Ball in play
      (a) The cue-ball is in play when it is not in-hand.
      (b) Object balls are in play from the start of the frame until pocketed or forced off the table.
      (c) Colours become in play again when re-spotted.

So even if the cue ball was in hand and therefore out of play, the brown ball was in play, and it is always a foul should you touch a ball in play. If the foul happened after placing the cue ball oin the table, then your opponent must play from that position. However, if it was still off the bed of the table (eg in your hand) when the foul was committed, then your opponent will still have ball in hand.
      Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

LL147 is correct (of course ) - if the cue ball had not been placed on the playing surface, then the opponent would have ball in hand; but your scenario was that it was placed "in the D" as you say; hence no ball in hand option
        Last edited by DeanH; 21 November 2017, 09:22 AM.

Comment

If you have ball in hand and place the white in the D, if you change your mind on where you want to put the white and place it elsewhere in the D, how come that isn’t a foul then?

Comment

until the stroke is done, you can move it around,

sec 2.9(b) The cue ball remains in hand until:
            (i) it is played fairly from in hand; or
            (ii) a foul is committed whilst the ball is on the table.

Comment

Originally Posted by jono* View Post
              If you have ball in hand and place the white in the D, if you change your mind on where you want to put the white and place it elsewhere in the D, how come that isn’t a foul then?
              We were talking about a foul being committed when you touch a ball other than the cue ball.
              Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Working...
              X