Where exactly do I place the reds and colors, total noob question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where exactly do I place the reds and colors, total noob question

I have a 3.5' x 7' pool table. I bought some snooker balls and pocket reducers so I could play some snooker at my house, I wanted to mark the correct positions for the colors and reds, as I have just been estimating. I tried to find a thread regarding marking such a small table but didn't see anything, and my math is well not that great to try and covert the markings down from the 6'12' table.

I live in the US, and don't know to much about snooker, sorry I was unable to find the info myself, I think I have the right idea on where, but don't want to mess up and thought I would ask the community here.

here are the spots by ratio of the table dimensions:
    http://www.snookerbilliardspool.co.uk/tablemarking.asp

what size balls did you get?
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thank you so very much Dean!!

I went with 2-1/8" as I thought they would rebound a little better off the pool rails than the 2-1/16" size.

Pool balls are 2-1/4" but snooker balls that were 2-1/4" were really expensive compared to the 2-1/8"

I really have no idea why we use the standard system of weight and measurements over here and not the metric system.

Only three countries this backwards, Burma, Liberia, and the US. :biggrin-new: ig:

Would your rack 15 reds or 10 reds on such a small table?

Comment

I have heard people doing only 10 due to lack of space, also (not sure) but 2 1/8" could be too big for your table.
        I did see somewhere a scale of size of balls best for size of table...

Comment

Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
          Thank you so very much Dean!!

I went with 2-1/8" as I thought they would rebound a little better off the pool rails than the 2-1/16" size.

Pool balls are 2-1/4" but snooker balls that were 2-1/4" were really expensive compared to the 2-1/8"

I really have no idea why we use the standard system of weight and measurements over here and not the metric system.

Only three countries this backwards, Burma, Liberia, and the US. :biggrin-new: ig:

Would your rack 15 reds or 10 reds on such a small table?
          Even 10 reds will be too cluttered on a table that size unfortunately, especially at the size they are. I have a crappy 5 foot table I picked up for free, I just try to pretend it's the blackspot area of a bigger table and ignore the middle pockets. Playing a real game of snooker on anything less than a full size just feels like it's a kiddies version.

Comment

I think I'd try both 6 and 10 reds on a 7 foot table. 15 reds I find is even too much for 10 footer.

Comment

I couldn't agree more Jonny, which is why I love snooker in the first place, after playing on a big table with small pockets I fell in love, pool tables just seem built for a kid, even the larger 4.5' x 9'.

Sadly snooker isn't to popular where I live(no snooker tables in the town, have to go about 50 miles for a beat up 5'x10' snooker table and a few hundred miles to play on the 6'x12'.
              I can only fit a 7' footer in my house

Comment

Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
                I couldn't agree more Jonny, which is why I love snooker in the first place, after playing on a big table with small pockets I fell in love, pool tables just seem built for a kid, even the larger 4.5' x 9'.

Sadly snooker isn't to popular where I live(no snooker tables in the town, have to go about 50 miles for a beat up 5'x10' snooker table and a few hundred miles to play on the 6'x12'.
                I can only fit a 7' footer in my house
                Wow that's really tough. There is a great thread in here about building your own snooker room. If nothing else it's great to drool over.
                ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Gigantic pockets, small tables, and we have shunned the metric system, what are we doing with ourselves over here across the pond. lol
                  I will have to check that out Crafty if I come across it. Thank you

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                    I have heard people doing only 10 due to lack of space, also (not sure) but 2 1/8" could be too big for your table.
                    I did see somewhere a scale of size of balls best for size of table...
                    The balls do seem rather large for the table, especially the pool balls, although I think the table was built for 2-1/4" balls. I am not an expert by any means, obviously.

From my understanding if the balls are to big for the table if you shoot really hard into the rail you will get a little jump out of the ball, which doesn't happen at all with the pool balls.
                    I don't know how balls being smaller than the rails were designed for impacts rebounds or if it has much impact at all?

2-1/16', 2" and 1.3/4" snooker balls are rather cheap so I might get a smaller set down the line to try out and compare.

**I did ask the person who installed the table about down the line replacing the rails with snooker rails and making the pockets smaller, he said something about the height of the rail is different on snooker tables and pool tables(pool tables it being higher) and you couldn't install snooker rails on a pool table due to the backing and something about the shape, but that he could shim down the pockets, (I don't think he used the word backing, but the word he did use has slipped my mind).
                    Last edited by Snooker Theory; 29 November 2017, 06:36 PM. Reason: ** added info

Comment

If it has US style pointed cushions I'd guess the balls could get stuck under the cushion if they were too small. That little table I have has 25mm cushions and even the 2" balls jump off the table if you jaw the shot too hard. I think the perfect cushion height is around 60% of the ball diameter.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                        If it has US style pointed cushions I'd guess the balls could get stuck under the cushion if they were too small. That little table I have has 25mm cushions and even the 2" balls jump off the table if you jaw the shot too hard. I think the perfect cushion height is around 60% of the ball diameter.
                        very close
                        full size snooker balls are 52mm (2-1/16" ish) and the cushion contact is ~30mm, so approx. 58% diameter

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          very close
                          full size snooker balls are 52mm (2-1/16" ish) and the cushion contact is ~30mm, so approx. 58% diameter
                          I said around 60%. 58% is around 60% in my book, or did you want the answer correct to within 1 decimal point?

Comment

It looks to me that my point of contact to be at 32mm so my 2-1/8" balls are approx 59% diameter.
                            Maybe the pools balls are big for the table afterall, thanks again Dean& Jonny, you have helped me quite a bit.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                              I said around 60%. 58% is around 60% in my book, or did you want the answer correct to within 1 decimal point?

English understatement - "very close" :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X