Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker Theory
    replied
    I have been to London 3 times in my life, and been to clubs, just different type of clubs, lol
    When I was young I stayed at a hostile a few times called the generator, and partied at ministry of sound and fabric.
    Been quite awhile, lol

Leave a comment:

• jonny66
    replied
    Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
    Yes, I'm referring to 8-ball tables found in pubs and clubs.

9-ball tables use 2¼" balls I believe, but there are relatively few 9-ball tables around. They're mostly found in dedicated snooker and pool clubs, in addition to the snooker and 8-ball tables. Space is at a premium in many venues, especially pubs, so the smaller 8-ball tables are better suited.
    The guy lives in America mate

I doubt he's even even seen a pub pool table like we know them.

Leave a comment:

• Londonlad147
    replied
    Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
    That is really interesting that you guys use a smaller cue ball than the rest of the balls, is that for a bar table?

I have played a bit of pool, much more than snooker, still just a rookie in the scheme of things. I have never in my life seen pool balls that were not 2 1/4"(in real life) except on what we call barbox tables, which are 7' tables that are coin operated, they still have the 2 1/4" balls but generally have a slightly larger and heavier cue ball than the rest of the balls. I saw a video once with one of the pros, Ronnie I believe, saying something about English pool being like a kids game or something because of the undersized cue ball, I thought he had misspoke.

Thanks for chiming in.

Not an expert so I double checked here are the bca regulations for ball size http://www.pooltablenow.com/wp-conte...tions_2008.pdf
    and this talks about how we use oversized cue ball in the bar table https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question495.htm
    Yes, I'm referring to 8-ball tables found in pubs and clubs.

9-ball tables use 2¼" balls I believe, but there are relatively few 9-ball tables around. They're mostly found in dedicated snooker and pool clubs, in addition to the snooker and 8-ball tables. Space is at a premium in many venues, especially pubs, so the smaller 8-ball tables are better suited.

Leave a comment:

• Snooker Theory
    replied
    I didn't know that Jonny, never have played the UK/English pool. Interesting how different parts of the world play different cue sports.
    Another variety I have never played is that Russian Pyramid pool, though that looks to be something I wouldn't be to interested in. The balls are pretty dang big, and the pockets are so small looking.

Leave a comment:

• jonny66
    replied
    It's the standard size for English/UK pool, obviously it's just so that the mechanism spits the ball out from a different hole. The tables are 7 foot but with napped cloths and more snooker style curved pockets.

Leave a comment:

• Snooker Theory
    replied
    Originally Posted by Londonlad147 View Post
    Standard snooker balls are 52.5mm with a tolerance of +/-0.05mm... in older rules they were specified as 2 1/16th inches. Standard pool balls are 2" with a 1 7/8th inch white.
    That is really interesting that you guys use a smaller cue ball than the rest of the balls, is that for a bar table?

I have played a bit of pool, much more than snooker, still just a rookie in the scheme of things. I have never in my life seen pool balls that were not 2 1/4"(in real life) except on what we call barbox tables, which are 7' tables that are coin operated, they still have the 2 1/4" balls but generally have a slightly larger and heavier cue ball than the rest of the balls. I saw a video once with one of the pros, Ronnie I believe, saying something about English pool being like a kids game or something because of the undersized cue ball, I thought he had misspoke.

Thanks for chiming in.

Not an expert so I double checked here are the bca regulations for ball size http://www.pooltablenow.com/wp-conte...tions_2008.pdf
    and this talks about how we use oversized cue ball in the bar table https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question495.htm

Leave a comment:

• Londonlad147
    replied
    Standard snooker balls are 52.5mm with a tolerance of +/-0.05mm... in older rules they were specified as 2 1/16th inches. Standard pool balls are 2" with a 1 7/8th inch white.

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    Originally Posted by Snooker Theory View Post
    Gigantic pockets, small tables, and we have shunned the metric system, what are we doing with ourselves over here across the pond. lol
    I will have to check that out Crafty if I come across it. Thank you
    Here you go bud, anyone who makes that kind of effort to play the game deserves respect. This thread is just one of many on here but shows the art of possible....

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...ed-Cabin/page5

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    I said around 60%. 58% is around 60% in my book, or did you want the answer correct to within 1 decimal point?

English understatement - "very close" :wink:

Leave a comment:

• Snooker Theory
    replied
    It looks to me that my point of contact to be at 32mm so my 2-1/8" balls are approx 59% diameter.
    Maybe the pools balls are big for the table afterall, thanks again Dean& Jonny, you have helped me quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• jonny66
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    very close
    full size snooker balls are 52mm (2-1/16" ish) and the cushion contact is ~30mm, so approx. 58% diameter
    I said around 60%. 58% is around 60% in my book, or did you want the answer correct to within 1 decimal point?

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    If it has US style pointed cushions I'd guess the balls could get stuck under the cushion if they were too small. That little table I have has 25mm cushions and even the 2" balls jump off the table if you jaw the shot too hard. I think the perfect cushion height is around 60% of the ball diameter.
    very close
    full size snooker balls are 52mm (2-1/16" ish) and the cushion contact is ~30mm, so approx. 58% diameter

Leave a comment:

• jonny66
    replied
    If it has US style pointed cushions I'd guess the balls could get stuck under the cushion if they were too small. That little table I have has 25mm cushions and even the 2" balls jump off the table if you jaw the shot too hard. I think the perfect cushion height is around 60% of the ball diameter.

Leave a comment:

• Snooker Theory
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
    I have heard people doing only 10 due to lack of space, also (not sure) but 2 1/8" could be too big for your table.
    I did see somewhere a scale of size of balls best for size of table...
    The balls do seem rather large for the table, especially the pool balls, although I think the table was built for 2-1/4" balls. I am not an expert by any means, obviously.

From my understanding if the balls are to big for the table if you shoot really hard into the rail you will get a little jump out of the ball, which doesn't happen at all with the pool balls.
    I don't know how balls being smaller than the rails were designed for impacts rebounds or if it has much impact at all?

2-1/16', 2" and 1.3/4" snooker balls are rather cheap so I might get a smaller set down the line to try out and compare.

**I did ask the person who installed the table about down the line replacing the rails with snooker rails and making the pockets smaller, he said something about the height of the rail is different on snooker tables and pool tables(pool tables it being higher) and you couldn't install snooker rails on a pool table due to the backing and something about the shape, but that he could shim down the pockets, (I don't think he used the word backing, but the word he did use has slipped my mind).
    Last edited by Snooker Theory; 29 November 2017, 06:36 PM. Reason: ** added info

Leave a comment:

• Snooker Theory
    replied
    Gigantic pockets, small tables, and we have shunned the metric system, what are we doing with ourselves over here across the pond. lol
    I will have to check that out Crafty if I come across it. Thank you

Leave a comment:

Working...
X