Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grip and trigger finger

Hi

After playing for couple of years and seeing coaches i've improved alot, but yet sometimes i think i havent got the perfect grip

watch this akani's grip: for that amount of backswing is this too tight?

1:37 potting a red, watch his grip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hg74Au3SWA

Now
    watch berrys coaching video talking about grip trigger
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuaNdCU64R4

here berry says use the 3rd finger as a trigger.

however before even watching this video i noticed that i already am using my middle finger as a trigger, and not sure if someone else has this grip or not, basically i pull the cue back like most people but at the end of my backswing my middle finger is abit tight or in other words abit more bent, so i guess i am using this finger as a trigger ( maybe). however on delivery i keep my thumb+forefinger relaxed and snap the last 3 fingers to close the grip.

recently i notcied that sometimes i feel that middle finger has too much tension although its not too tight, but watching nic barrows videos and many more coaches, i feel like i should open the last 3 fingers all the way. this bit has always confused me, but if i open the last 3 fingers and let them be relaxed, then i feel that my grip is too loose

please do share your thoughts about this topic, its very valuable for me at this point.
    i would really appreciate your help

You are over thinking this whole concept. What's right for a pro might not be right for you so develop your own technique as there are no sure-fire 'correct' techniques and just because Akani does something it doesn't mean it's right for the rest of the world.
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

https://youtu.be/gqgMcFtYQUc in my opinion all you need to know is contained in here

Comment

Originally Posted by Terry Davidson View Post
        You are over thinking this whole concept. What's right for a pro might not be right for you so develop your own technique as there are no sure-fire 'correct' techniques and just because Akani does something it doesn't mean it's right for the rest of the world.
        i dont wanna complicate things, but i cannot find the perfect grip, i have tried so hard but cannot find the proper grip that suits me.
        i know the best and easiest grip is to open the back 3 fingers, however my grip feels so loose that way and i cannot pot alot. however if i dont fully open the last 3 fingers i pot much much better but the thing is its not consistent, it goes back to loose grip and i cannot maintain it.
        all i know is that when i pot balls and my grip feels better is my middle finger has tension and its not fully open even on long backswing. but as i said it goes back to normal grip and all back 3 fingers either loosen up or they all tighten up

thats y i needed to know something about trigger finger grip. bcaz the way nic barrow or some other coaches tell student to relax the back 3 fingers isnt working for me at all. im 101% sure its my grip caz as soon as i make any changes my potting increases/decreases by 200%

Comment

Originally Posted by rimmer10 View Post
          https://youtu.be/gqgMcFtYQUc in my opinion all you need to know is contained in here
          tnx but yeah this is the hard part for me, when i fully open the last 3 fingers, i cannot feel so confident with grip and i cannot pot alot, however as soon as i make it abit tight or i open the last 3 fingers abit less, then i pot way better. however its not consistent . thats y i wanna find the proper grip for me

Comment

grip and trigger finger

I think a lot of people are overthinking the grip myself included at times. sometimes it's best not to think too much about the technique, just focus on potting the ball. i also find useful to just remembering the sounds and the feel you have when cueing well. of course sometimes is good to work on different aspects of technique

Comment

If you really want some help, post a video of you doing the line-up so we can actually see your game.

There may be lots of far more important things you're doing wrong before these minor tweaks are done to improve your game.
              WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
              Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
              --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
              X