Kyren Wilson's cueing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyren Wilson's cueing

While watching Kyren in the quarter final of the masters I realised that when taking a shot, Kyren appears to start slow and accelerate halfway-ish through. Wondering if anyone knows if they're will be a particular reason for this and if it is actually advisable?
    ''It's just really drafty to be honest'' - Kyren Wilson

cant remember off the top of my head but other players do it too. i think maguire does the same thing.

Comment

Kyren's coach Barry Stark has made a video of him talking about his technique, worth a look if you haven't seen it.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiJrYXZhhu8

Comment

Liang Wenbo also does this

It is almost like he just gets the cue moving forward to where the end of the backswing should have been, and then fires it

Golfers in the early days used to do something similar called a forward-press. This was a little forward movement of the hands from the rest position to start the backswing - of course in golf there is no pause at the end of the backswing

OR (back to snooker) maybe it has something to do with change of direction from end of backswing and start of forward movement OR more probably just to do with how they time the ball

Comment

I gave it another watch after he won just in case it was down to pressure, but its certainly part of his shot routine. Not watched a lot of Maguire so haven't noticed it, just seems strange to accelerate mid-swing, could be a concentration aid maybe? Mind you it's obviously doing him no harm knocked in some quality shots tonight.

Comment

Seems to be a more common technique than first thought. Only seemed to notice it in Kyren, mind you I do watch him a lot. May have to try it down the club trying to work out a shot routine so might give it a shout.

Comment

Start off slow and build up speed is the only way to go.
              Think of an aeroplane taking off.
              If you start off to quick it will lead to a snatch more often then not.

Comment

As travisbickle says, a slow starr to the delivery is essential. If you go from pulling back to driving forward too quickly it promotes a snatch and/or body movement. Kyren's 2 part delivery system is almost certainly a means to prevent one or both of these things from occurring.
                I often use large words I don't really understand in an attempt to appear more photosynthesis.

Comment

Originally Posted by magicman View Post
                  As travisbickle says, a slow starr to the delivery is essential. If you go from pulling back to driving forward too quickly it promotes a snatch and/or body movement. Kyren's 2 part delivery system is almost certainly a means to prevent one or both of these things from occurring.
                  spot on - a simple thing to remember for all aspiring players "you can't hit the ball on the back swing" so many players do their best do. This gradual acceleration often referred to by Nic Barrow as the "gear change" ensures a smooth acceleration through the ball. difference between a 100 break club player and a good amateur in terms of how they hit the ball usually.

Comment

Agree with the slow acceleration thing

But the question we need Barry Stark to answer is - Did Kyren get taught this, or is it just a natural thing he always did and Barry left it alone ????

If it is a taught thing, then maybe we should all experiment with it

Comment

Originally Posted by tmax View Post
                      Agree with the slow acceleration thing

But the question we need Barry Stark to answer is - Did Kyren get taught this, or is it just a natural thing he always did and Barry left it alone ????

If it is a taught thing, then maybe we should all experiment with it
                      It's a coached technique which would have been taught to Kyren along with most of the other top players at a young age. Kyren is around 7 years younger than me and I remember watching him make a 147 in a competition when he was about 15 and he cued like it then.
                      Last edited by dcrackers147; 19 January 2018, 11:16 AM.

Comment

He hit's the ball very positively and from what i've read seen or heard the rear pause and slower acceleration encourages a very positive strike.

Someone like Osullivan's delivery is completely the opposite at times and for lot of average club players we would decel lot doing what he does.

I feel the best kind of cueing for normal human beings wether it is taught or done naturally is either a very compact backswing with positive acceleration or the slow progression like Kyrens or maybe a combo of both whatever it does it works nicely for him he's a confident striker of the ball even by professional standard he looks very solid in delivery.

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
                          He hit's the ball very positively and from what i've read seen or heard the rear pause and slower acceleration encourages a very positive strike.

Someone like Osullivan's delivery is completely the opposite at times and for lot of average club players we would decel lot doing what he does.

I feel the best kind of cueing for normal human beings wether it is taught or done naturally is either a very compact backswing with positive acceleration or the slow progression like Kyrens or maybe a combo of both whatever it does it works nicely for him he's a confident striker of the ball even by professional standard he looks very solid in delivery.
                          short backswing in players on club tables encourages a jabby action that often turns into a twitch. It's like I referred to above so many players try and hit the ball on the back swing and this is one of the biggest route causes. The secret to hitting the ball well is getting that cue back nice and controlled and relaxed and "staying with" the shot on delivery.

Comment

Originally Posted by dcrackers147 View Post
                            short backswing in players on club tables encourages a jabby action that often turns into a twitch. It's like I referred to above so many players try and hit the ball on the back swing and this is one of the biggest route causes. The secret to hitting the ball well is getting that cue back nice and controlled and relaxed and "staying with" the shot on delivery.
                            Never really had the jabby action you speak about, was coached to vary the length of the back swing and grip/length of cue aswell as the amount of bridge based on short game or long game so I never snatch or jab like that I used to decel or snatch using full cue and full length backswing in the balls and that's what I was saying is very difficult timing has to be impeccable when playing short range shots it's easier to decrease the length of the backswing or essentially doing what Kyren does he doesn't really start his acceleration until midway through the stroke either way the shorter distance the cue has to travel at speed the less can go wrong

Comment

Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
                              Never really had the jabby action you speak about, was coached to vary the length of the back swing and grip/length of cue aswell as the amount of bridge based on short game or long game so I never snatch or jab like that I used to decel or snatch using full cue and full length backswing in the balls and that's what I was saying is very difficult timing has to be impeccable when playing short range shots it's easier to decrease the length of the backswing or essentially doing what Kyren does he doesn't really start his acceleration until midway through the stroke either way the shorter distance the cue has to travel at speed the less can go wrong
                              Agree with you on the above...it's players that just cue with a short backswing and don't lengthen or shorten it when required. Theses players tend to jab when more spin/ power needs to be generated.

Comment

Working...
                              X