Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

snooker ball space measuring device to check if the ball spots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snooker ball space measuring device to check if the ball spots.

Can anyone tell me where I can get hold of the device to measure if a snooker ball goes on its spot or not ? also what is the real name of the device ? many thanks Steve

http://sportsgearmall.com/product/1-...ies-52mm-57mm/

Only one I've found up to now but it's on an American site.

This site below has a few pictures and a bit of info but can't buy it off the site! Also an American site.

http://www.pro-marker.com
    Last edited by dmorley85; 31 January 2018, 01:39 AM.

Comment

I am surprised no one has answered this yet. There are various versions of it. It is simply called a Snooker Ball Marker but of course it is a multi-functional tool. In general, a Referee will carry at least two of these with him at all times because there is sometimes an occasion that a ball position must be marked just to get that ball out of the way in order to get at another ball that may need to be cleaned or something like that. (Imagine if the White goes into the pack surrounded by Reds and the striker wishes to have the White cleaned...mark a Red, pick it up out of the way, then mark, clean and replace White.) In general these tools also have two critical dimensions built into them: 1) a half ball diameter to check if a ball will fit onto a spot, and 2) a full ball diameter to check if Free Ball is in order after a foul stroke. These two dimensions are usually just built into the rectangular shape of the tool, the longer edge being exactly equal to a ball diameter and the shorter edge equal to half.

A quick search shows you can easily purchase from Amazon or something like that. By your Amazon in the UK, it looks like a common one costs just £2.89 . On my Amazon here in the US, the exact same tool costs $36.14 plus $5 shipping. I have a machinist friend so he just made a couple very nice aluminum markers for me, no charge.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...er+ball+marker

Comment

as per dmorley's post, I can only find them on US sites and they don't seem to be the same item the pro snooker refs use.

The "traditional" rectangle ball marker is very versatile and I found this video of its use some time ago
        But make sure you get the right size, (as acesinc says) the 52.5mm (2 1/16in) is exactly the same as the full size snooker balls, beware there are others that look the same but are much larger.
        Last edited by DeanH; 31 January 2018, 09:09 AM.
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Thanks for that video Dean. I have not seen the notched version before. I have never noticed a professional referee using that feature though I admit that I cannot watch the modern game nearly as much as I would like; life gets in the way. I wonder if they do use that sometimes for the non-televised matches. It is a clever addition and I may add that to my custom markers. When I play against my kid, he relishes putting the cue ball back when I Miss my escape from one of his devilish snookers. When a Miss looks imminent, he gleefully grabs his chalk and runs to the cue ball and then marks at least two positions right at the edges of the shadows of cue ball to make sure he can put it back in the right place. Same idea. So my whole purpose becomes to try to disappoint him with a fantastic escape.

But I am confused here....you guys can't actually see this item on the UK Amazon site? When I posted that link, I tried it and it went right to the same search page that I saw, but when I click the link now, it just goes to a general amazon.co.uk page. But you can still just type into the search box "snooker ball marker" and you will see a variety of these including the notched version in the video.

Comment

Originally Posted by acesinc View Post
            Thanks for that video Dean. I have not seen the notched version before. I have never noticed a professional referee using that feature though I admit that I cannot watch the modern game nearly as much as I would like; life gets in the way. I wonder if they do use that sometimes for the non-televised matches. It is a clever addition and I may add that to my custom markers. When I play against my kid, he relishes putting the cue ball back when I Miss my escape from one of his devilish snookers. When a Miss looks imminent, he gleefully grabs his chalk and runs to the cue ball and then marks at least two positions right at the edges of the shadows of cue ball to make sure he can put it back in the right place. Same idea. So my whole purpose becomes to try to disappoint him with a fantastic escape.

But I am confused here....you guys can't actually see this item on the UK Amazon site? When I posted that link, I tried it and it went right to the same search page that I saw, but when I click the link now, it just goes to a general amazon.co.uk page. But you can still just type into the search box "snooker ball marker" and you will see a variety of these including the notched version in the video.
            I think the notch came out some years ago but the non-notch version can still be found.
            I have never seen anyone use the marker and the notch as shown in the video, and that little brush!

I did notice the link did not work (only to Amazon home, not an item) but I "copied the URL" directly and that did work.

Comment

I have just put a link up on an post from another member to help with some work needing doing near Manchester to a snooker shop near Manchester that has loads of cues tables tips and many other snooker products, worth a view if anywhere near Manchester or fancy a trip? . They sell them £2-50. See if they post?

www.snookershop.com

Andy

Comment

I have a blue Peradon ball marker with a small notch in the middle so you can see the spot, when placed if you can see the spot and your not touching a ball with it then the colour spots.

Comment

Originally Posted by audiandy View Post
                  I have just put a link up on an post from another member to help with some work needing doing near Manchester to a snooker shop near Manchester that has loads of cues tables tips and many other snooker products, worth a view if anywhere near Manchester or fancy a trip? . They sell them £2-50. See if they post?

www.snookershop.com

Andy
                  I looked on the snookershop.com website to find a marker. Took some time as they have a lot of stuff available. Awesome looking local business! Support places like this if you are able. (My choices here in the US are very limited.) The same Peradon 3664 ball marker is available through them on the "Accessories...Miscellaneous" page. You have to scroll down quite a way to find it, probably about 50 lines. If you know how to use the "Find" feature of your web browser, go to that page and click to find the word, "marker" and you will find the entry immediately. Just two and a half quid.

Comment

Originally Posted by audiandy View Post

www.snookershop.com

Andy
                    a great little shop, they have posted stuff to me in the past.
                    I can only find the blue rectangle marker on their website (Peradon 3664); do they do the circular type?

Comment

You can find it in AliExpress

http://s.aliexpress.com/BFFfYfe2

Comment

Working...
                      X