New Ferrule question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ferrule question

The width of my current ferule at the bottom is 8.9mm. I'd like to put a new ferrule on and I'm just wondering whether I'm best buying a 9mm ferrule or a bigger ferrule and then reduce the side wall on the ferrule? Or just get a 9mm one and keep the side wall as it is? Could you use a dremel with a grinding disc attached to take the ferrule down if it's too high rather than a diamond file to be more precise and get the ferrule flatter on the top? Should you reduce the side wall on a new ferrule or just leave it as it is?

Any advice would be appreciated
    Last edited by dmorley85; 3 February 2018, 07:45 PM.

I recommend getting the ferrule fitted by a cue doctor with a lathe.
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

Fitted hundreds of ferrule but never used a lathe I always fitted a slightly larger one and filed it down with a fine file. A simple job done in minutes.

Comment

If you know what you are doing, I guess its an easy job. If you don't, or even if you think you do but haven't done it before, i'd go to a cue doctor. It will cost you maybe £10-15

Comment

So if I was to put a new ferrule on myself with my current ferrule being 8.9mm at the bottom, am I best getting a 9mm ferrule and leaving the side wall as it is or get a larger ferrrule and reduce the side wall? The ferrule I have on at the minute is a threaded ferrule and I'm thinking that if I just put a 9mm ferrule on that the side wall of the ferrule is going to be too thick where as if I get a larger ferrule I can reduce the side wall? What is best, a 9mm ferrule and leave the side all as it is or get a larger ferrule and reduce the side wall?

Comment

Originally Posted by dmorley85 View Post
            So if I was to put a new ferrule on myself with my current ferrule being 8.9mm at the bottom, am I best getting a 9mm ferrule and leaving the side wall as it is or get a larger ferrrule and reduce the side wall? The ferrule I have on at the minute is a threaded ferrule and I'm thinking that if I just put a 9mm ferrule on that the side wall of the ferrule is going to be too thick where as if I get a larger ferrule I can reduce the side wall? What is best, a 9mm ferrule and leave the side all as it is or get a larger ferrule and reduce the side wall?
            You were given all the advice you needed and the whys and wherefores on your previous thread, make a decision!
            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

With all due respect no wonder some cue makers don't make to order all this 8.9 or 9mm even an odd 8.85mm would drive me nuts just stick a ferrulue on and throw away the micrometer.

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
                With all due respect no wonder some cue makers don't make to order all this 8.9 or 9mm even an odd 8.85mm would drive me nuts just stick a ferrulue on and throw away the micrometer.
                U are starting to get crabbit in ur old age Andy...
                Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Originally Posted by warren132 View Post
                  U are starting to get crabbit in ur old age Andy...
                  No wonder Warren all these specs, balance points so many arrows 9.55mm ferrules 29.5mm butts and so on, I got it easy for thirty years none of my customers even pros knew about these things.

Comment

Dave, give Barry Broadbent a ring, he's based in Blackburn. Scrub that, he's in Oldham.
                    Last edited by fredkite; 4 February 2018, 01:53 PM.
                    #jeSuisByrom

Comment

New Ferrule question

no he's not, he's (Barry Broadbent) in Mellor near Blackburn. great fella.

Comment

Ha ha! Bad info' from a friend.
                        #jeSuisByrom

Comment

Originally Posted by bigandyg View Post
                          Fitted hundreds of ferrule but never used a lathe I always fitted a slightly larger one and filed it down with a fine file. A simple job done in minutes.
                          Never used a file.

Makes you wonder if you could take it down with say a 400 grit and then go finer (obviously got to be a bit careful near the shaft).

Might give it a go just to see as you would use strips as you do when shaping or burning the side of a tip.
                          Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                          Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                          Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Are you supposed to leave the side wall on a new ferrule the way it is when it's new or reduce it?

Comment

If it fits perfectly you would leave it obviously too big take it down too small change it or taper the cue.

Comment

Working...
                              X