Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-Tipping Catastrophes...Anybody Had These?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urine dud tip haha

Comment

Re-Tipping Catastrophes...Anybody Had These?

do they still use urine to tan leather?
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by MrRottweiler View Post
        The magic advice I was told was to always make slight incisions in to the base of the tip and also on the tip of the cue so the glue seeps in to this and makes a stronger bond.

Something else I always do is before I get the glue out I find a place I can wedge the cue after the tip has been put on that will exert force on to the tip. A doorway, or hallway are good places for this and once I've found the ideal spot I'll put the tip on and immediately wedge it in place to let the glue set.
        Good idea, both of them, thanks!

Comment

Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
          I usually can't be bothered to retip myself and don't have the tools to do it myself either, though I should invest in some basic stuff.

But part of the reason is there is a local guy with a lathe who does amazing work. Not only does he do a great job with the tip but he cleans the cue and ferrul up so that the cue looks brand new. The down side is that he works out of his home (which is out of my way) and you may not get your cue back for a week or more depending on back log and time constraints.

This one time I was in dire need and I had heard my local room will retip cues, so I gave it a try. But when I picked it up he had slapped a 10mm tip on a 9.5mm cue tip and didn't cut it down. It was like my cue was wearing a hat, it was ridiculous. Not only that but he had made a right mess of everything with the glue, it looked like primary school crafts activity. I couldn't believe he expected me to pay $12 to do a worse job than I would have done myself even without the proper tools.

I learned my lesson about going to someone other than usual guy. I brought it back to him and him cut the new tip off and do it properly.
          The magic advice I was told was to always make slight incisions in to the base of the tip and also on the tip of the cue so the glue seeps in to this and makes a stronger bond.

Something else I always do is before I get the glue out I find a place I can wedge the cue after the tip has been put on that will exert force on to the tip. A doorway, or hallway are good places for this and once I've found the ideal spot I'll put the tip on and immediately wedge it in place to let the glue set.
          Light sand is all you need, scoring the tenon and tip is not a good idea, especially when using superglue as it works best when both surfaces are completely flat.

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
            Light sand is all you need, scoring the tenon and tip is not a good idea, especially when using superglue as it works best when both surfaces are completely flat.
            Scoring the tenon, certainly not a good idea in my book!
            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
              Scoring the tenon, certainly not a good idea in my book!
              100% not a good idea.

Comment

Wouldn't recommend scoring the base of the tip (and certainly wouldnt recommend doing the cue itself), as said elsewhere nicely prepped clean surfaces and use just a little glue. Keep it simple is usually best.

Comment

Originally Posted by narl View Post
                  It's more of a functional thing for blackspin ferrules, it does aid in retipping but it also protects the ferrule from damage while playing.

I generally use one of those tip top grinder things to get the ferrule flat and then put the pad and tip on.

If you go here and click on blackspin and go to "what tip" it explains why it's needed handmadecues.com/key-features/
                  Thanks, will have a look at that, just a note that when you use those tip top grinders you take quite a bit off the ferrule, after years of use, you will have almost no ferrule left.I had to change the ferrule on my cue because of this. Note the sandpaper I had on was way too heavy, Not more than 200 is needed to take off the glue and get a nice flat dry surface. I presently just put a sandpaper sheet on the ground (flat surface) turn cue around, step on sandpaper with both feet, put tip between feel and turn the cue keeping the cue straight. It works and does not take a big bite out of the ferrule. If ferrule gets out of whack I will give it a shot with my top grinder. Cheers
                  I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

Good Day, I use a Rubber Band that is sold at the dollar store, i think its normal use is to keep pants up, it is sold where the sewing stuff is. I put the tip on, the half the band in size, put over the tip, Press down on both ends. hold tight with one hand, wrap one side around and around to bind, then again with other side, half hitch and it locks the band in place, extra push down for a bit more tension and done. Takes a few seconds and applies lots of tension, band only costs a Dollar. Cheers
                    I try hard, play hard and dont always succeed, at first.!!!!:snooker:

Comment

100% not a good idea.
                      Fair enough because if I had a more expensive cue I would be more reluctant to score marks on it but with my cue that I've had for years and is dented and warped I can't do much more damage to it I often wish it broke which would force me to get a new cue and probably massively improve my game.
                      www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Originally Posted by sharkster63 View Post
                        Good Day, I use a Rubber Band that is sold at the dollar store, i think its normal use is to keep pants up, it is sold where the sewing stuff is. I put the tip on, the half the band in size, put over the tip, Press down on both ends. hold tight with one hand, wrap one side around and around to bind, then again with other side, half hitch and it locks the band in place, extra push down for a bit more tension and done. Takes a few seconds and applies lots of tension, band only costs a Dollar. Cheers
                        Interesting use of haberdashery there If it gets the job done why not but I would have to wear goggles.
                        www.mixcloud.com/jfd

Comment

Working...
                        X