what are laminated shafts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what are laminated shafts?

I heard this term in some threads here. May I know what exactly it is and does it improve the playability of the cue? Why is it used?

where a usual shaft is made from a single piece of timber, a laminated shaft is made from several pieces of timber that are glued together - like plywood.
    there are several types of laminated shafts - you can have long lengths glued longitudinally and you can have lengths that are glued radially (so a cross section looks like a pie cut several times).
    American Pool cues have many makes using radial types and some longitudinal.
    Sometimes longitudinal types my have different woods say maple and thin walnut so when tapered you get the appearance of grain and chevron pattern like Ash.
    reason for laminating - strength (no inconsistency of a natural single piece); desired flexibility of the shaft; less likely to bend through time.

Example of radial laminates
    https://goo.gl/images/mAL9R6

Peradon Newbury with longitudinal laminates
    https://goo.gl/images/jt5w7z
    Last edited by DeanH; 31 March 2018, 12:37 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
      where a usual shaft is made from a single piece of timber, a laminated shaft is made from several pieces of timber that are glued together - like plywood.
      there are several types of laminated shafts - you can have long lengths glued longitudinally and you can have lengths that are glued radially (so a cross section looks like a pie cut several times).
      American Pool cues have many makes using radial types and some longitudinal.
      Sometimes longitudinal types my have different woods say maple and thin walnut so when tapered you get the appearance of grain and chevron pattern like Ash.
      reason for laminating - strength (no inconsistency of a natural single piece); desired flexibility of the shaft; less likely to bend through time.

Example of radial laminates
      https://goo.gl/images/mAL9R6
      Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation. I used a Riley L8 shaft some time ago. Is it a radial shaft?

Comment

Yes 8 pieces radially laminated but probably just the top shaft half not the butt half but I am not sure

Comment

Yes 8 pieces radially laminated but probably just the top shaft not the butt but I am not sure; )
          It played quite well. Was a two piece cue. I guess the butt was not laminated.

Comment

I’m quite surprised how they get the chevrons artificially with laminated shafts. Must be quite difficult.

Comment

with thinner laminates longitudinally is the same process of doing splices on butts, as you plane through the layers at a low angle you get the chevrons.
              with radially laminated the natural grain of the lengths of wood would come through.

Comment

with thinner laminates longitudinally is the same process of doing splices on butts, as you plane through the layers at a low angle you get the chevrons.
                with radially laminated the natural grain of the lengths of wood would come through.
                Great. I suppose maple cues are laminated but not Ash.

Comment

nearly all American will be maple ad they go that way but the Peradon Newbury is Ash, you can used any wood really

Comment

nearly all American will be maple ad they go that way but the Peradon Newbury is Ash, you can used any wood really
                    Oh ok. I thought they don’t use Ash as it has natural grains or chevrons.

Comment

I think the Newbury is Maple and Walnut laminates Dean.
                      Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                      Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                      Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by fkhan View Post
                        Oh ok. I thought they don’t use Ash as it has natural grains or chevrons.
                        The Newbury is actually maple, but its laminated with thin walnut inlays which give the appearance of a regular grain pattern.

I use predator laminated shafts for 9 ball. I bought my cue with 2 of these shafts and an advantage is that they play almost identically to one another. So if one ever gets broken, I won't have to get used to a new cue.

Comment

oops it was early and got the wrong name

Comment

Think.. for ash laminated is Deroo Cues?
                            Hi Ho The Merry Yo, The Black Went In The Hole~ :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Fisherboi View Post
                              Think.. for ash laminated is Deroo Cues?
                              It is but the prices might make you cringe. The mezz cues are fairly laminated with the right shaft.

Comment

Working...
                              X