Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If the ref forgets to warn?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If the ref forgets to warn?

    If a referee forgets to warn a player after two consecutive misses, as Collier did just now with Murphy, that a third miss will result in frame forfeit, and the player does go on to miss, what happens?
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

  • #2
    If a warning after two misses is NOT called and a stroke is played, the error by the ref will not penalise the player; another Miss will be called and if the offending player is put in again; THEN the warning will be given.
    This is my opinion, be glad to see other's opinions
    Last edited by DeanH; 23rd April 2018, 06:01 PM.
    Up the TSF!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DeanH View Post
      If a warning after two misses is NOT called and a stroke is played, the error by the ref will not penalise the player; another Miss will be called and if the offending player is put in again; THEN the warning will be given.
      This is my opinion, be glad to see other's opinions
      Mmm, interesting take. So if you're correct, a player can effectively 'get away' with three consecutive misses?
      "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Billy View Post
        Mmm, interesting take. So if you're correct, a player can effectively 'get away' with three consecutive misses?
        Yes, I'd agree with Dean, if the referee forgets to warn the player, then no frame can be awarded until a failed attempt after a warning has been given. It's not laid down in the rule book, but it's the same principle as in billiards, where the rules do specifically say that if the referee forgets to warn at 10 hazards or 70 cannons, then the striker can continue to make 5 further hazards or cannons once a warning has been given.
        Duplicate of banned account deleted

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Billy View Post
          Mmm, interesting take. So if you're correct, a player can effectively 'get away' with three consecutive misses?
          that is certainly an interesting twist on it, doubt many players will bank on the referee not to call the warning
          Up the TSF!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DeanH View Post
            that is certainly an interesting twist on it, doubt many players will bank on the referee not to call the warning
            No, of course, and I wasn't suggesting any player would. If it did happen it would certainly be a talking point for a while. I would expect the offending player to do the decent thing when the blunder is noticed... question is what would that be??

            Final frame decider, player 1 makes three consecutive fouls. Referee then realises what's happened and issues the warning he should have on the previous shot. Player 1 makes a legal shot and then, ultimately, goes on to win. Ooooh.
            Last edited by Billy; 23rd April 2018, 07:30 PM.
            "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

            Comment


            • #7
              Play on, as Player needs to know it is third miss and lost Frame?

              (Well unless it's Murphy, who would expect the Frame )

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm not sure if I wouldn't count as a foul regardless of the warning being missing. I remember in China Neil Robertson played a shot to the middle, the ball bounced out due to too many balls in the pocket, Robertson said it was the referees fault and the referee denied it was. Not sure what way it was resolved.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I think that is slightly different, as not prior to the shot...

                  I have a vague memory of both players thinking it was a Free Ball, but not the Ref - and nope, not much of a clue what happened, but a lil voice in my head whispering that it was no FB.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by narl View Post
                    I'm not sure if I wouldn't count as a foul regardless of the warning being missing. I remember in China Neil Robertson played a shot to the middle, the ball bounced out due to too many balls in the pocket, Robertson said it was the referees fault and the referee denied it was. Not sure what way it was resolved.
                    Hmm ref just called foul aand miss and both plyers said Freak off it hit, so Ref backed down...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Normally if both players disagree with the referee over a matter of opinion, then the referee will bow to the decision of the players.
                      Duplicate of banned account deleted

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Surely it's up to the non striker to remind the ref of the three miss rule after the second miss with no warning given, I certainly would.
                        Last edited by vmax; 27th April 2018, 09:31 AM.
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by vmax View Post
                          Surely it's up to the non striker to remind the ref of the the three miss rule after the second miss with no warning given, I certainly would.
                          But what if the non-striker also fails to notice?
                          "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Billy View Post
                            If a referee forgets to warn a player after two consecutive misses, as Collier did just now with Murphy, that a third miss will result in frame forfeit, and the player does go on to miss, what happens?
                            This happened in a tournament some years ago not sure which tournament it was or who the referee was, but one of the players involved was Ken Doherty, when Ken said to referee I thought I was awarded the frame after 3 consecutive misses, The referee replied with I forgot to warn him and his opponent played the shot again, but the referee did warn him on before his 4th attempt. Be nice if anyone knows who is opponent was and who the referee was and which tournament also.
                            Ronnie O' Sullivan seven times the record breaking Snooker Master

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Mr Snooker View Post
                              This happened in a tournament some years ago not sure which tournament it was or who the referee was, but one of the players involved was Ken Doherty, when Ken said to referee I thought I was awarded the frame after 3 consecutive misses, The referee replied with I forgot to warn him and his opponent played the shot again, but the referee did warn him on before his 4th attempt. Be nice if anyone knows who is opponent was and who the referee was and which tournament also.
                              Ah, well there you go then. Thanks. Looks like @DeanH was right.
                              "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X