Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cue survival suggestion

Hi

My friend took my cue for couple of days, as i went for vacation and as i back:

i see that he has used sandpaper and now i cannot play with the cue, dont know if i can save the cue or not.

it hurts my v area of bridge hand, i used powder, however i cannot play with gloves. i can see and feel the wood rubbing the skin, the grains are sharp and and i can see very tiny verticle holes ( not holes exactly but the distance between little wood/grain ).

feels so bad, it hurts my bridge hand, ( feels like one layer has gone, i can see micro woods missing, and most of the grain area has sharps edges now)

i bought wax and oil today, put wax and after few mints cleaned it with towel, and then put some oil for a day. gotta wait now.

its barracuda cue, $450 worth

tnx

nice friend you have......

don't know where you are, but I think you would want a refinish.

think it's best to contact a cuemaker

maybe contact VMAX on here, did a very nice job on a cue of mine.

cheers
    matt

Comment

It'll need polished before wax or anything will help. Ask your "friend" what grade sandpaper he used, then it needs to be sanded more with progressively finer grits and finally the back of the paper, maybe 200/400/600/800/1000. Also give your friend a good slap and tell him to buy his own cue if he wants to do that.

Comment

i found this
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYyK1W6LC48

Comment

not a single cue maker here where i live, however i think i need some sort of grain filler

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker beast View Post
            not a single cue maker here where i live, however i think i need some sort of grain filler
            postal service is your friend

if you have no expierence with refinishing, I would not do it to my cue, better have somebody look at it who knows what they are doing.

or try on a few "house" cues first

Comment

Hi

My friend took my cue for couple of days, as i went for vacation and as i back:

i see that he has used sandpaper and now i cannot play with the cue, dont know if i can save the cue or not.

it hurts my v area of bridge hand, i used powder, however i cannot play with gloves. i can see and feel the wood rubbing the skin, the grains are sharp and and i can see very tiny verticle holes ( not holes exactly but the distance between little wood/grain ).

feels so bad, it hurts my bridge hand, ( feels like one layer has gone, i can see micro woods missing, and most of the grain area has sharps edges now)

i bought wax and oil today, put wax and after few mints cleaned it with towel, and then put some oil for a day. gotta wait now.

its barracuda cue, $450 worth

tnx
              Better to have it redone by a cue maker. You can also try 0000 grade wire wool as first aid.
              Last edited by fkhan; 9 December 2018, 12:58 AM.

Comment

A non-envasive thing you could try is to burnish the shaft with a piece of leather or suede. Might help the grain and rough sections lay down and ease the roughness on your hand until you get iy refinished

Comment

take a wire brush
                  Gently brush it along the grain to open up the grain some more along the entire cue
                  A can of black spray paint
                  spray it aver the entire shaft. not thick cover please
                  Starting with some 200 grit slow sand until you have removed all the paint.
                  then with 400
                  200 grit until you are happy with the finish. I usually get a silk like finish with 3000 grit. This is how I grain my cues and never had a problem

Comment

Originally Posted by sanman View Post
                    take a wire brush
                    Gently brush it along the grain to open up the grain some more along the entire cue
                    A can of black spray paint
                    spray it aver the entire shaft. not thick cover please
                    Starting with some 200 grit slow sand until you have removed all the paint.
                    then with 400
                    200 grit until you are happy with the finish. I usually get a silk like finish with 3000 grit. This is how I grain my cues and never had a problem
                    I will try to upload a vid next week. don't worry wood is very forgiving and the cue you have now can be finished to better than new by yourself

Comment

I will try to upload a vid next week. don't worry wood is very forgiving and the cue you have now can be finished to better than new by yourself
                      I'd like to see this video, sounds like an interesting technique

Comment

tnx stil waiting

Comment

tnx stil waiting
                          It does clearly say next week doesn't it??

Comment

To me it seems clear that he has sanded 'off' the grain. Apply some grain filler, will do the job great for you. Finish off with your preferred cue oil for a smooth finish. hope this helps.

Comment

It does clearly say next week doesn't it??
                              Are you withholding this video because of snooker beast's impatience? I'm quite interested in it too. I have some automotive spraypaint gathering dust so I may just try it out on an old beater, it's not black though. Ash with a midnight blue grain anyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X