best cue tips to use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Can't help wondering if these comments are due to the players stature and lack of endorsement possibly.... If Century don't pay the pro to say he uses them, then he has the right to deny it and it's pretty difficult to tell the difference on TV especially!
    Could very well be the case, it seems that the only player that might actually be getting some sort of paycheck from Century is Selby. He is listed as an official brand ambassador. It seems a bit crazy to me how happy some of the players are to promote brands in exchange for some free low cost products.

Comment

Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post

Could very well be the case, it seems that the only player that might actually be getting some sort of paycheck from Century is Selby. He is listed as an official brand ambassador. It seems a bit crazy to me how happy some of the players are to promote brands in exchange for some free low cost products.
      Maybe they caught him at a low ebb when his form had slumped and any deal seemed inviting possibly .

Good call by Century if so as form is temporary but class is permanent and it could just pay dividends now he is looking sharp again.
      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Still using ye olde faithful Elks.. no med soft or hard on the box... they are so old i dont think that soft hard med existed back then

Comment

Can anyone tell me what type cue tips and softness JP puts on his cues by default?

Comment

Used to be a bulk standard elk .
            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Ronnie recently said that he uses Elk because it is the only tip that you can play every shot with. With other tips he says you have to compromise on the way you play some shots because of the tip.
              What do you guys think about this?

He also said that when he has a duff tip on he just runs it anyway
              Yes, and Ronnie also said that "*Most try different tips but then they always seem to come back to Elks"! And Jimmy White agreed with him, in that interview. Given that there will always be a small percent of pros using laminated tips or others.
              Ps. * Ronnie is talking about pros here, and not club players of course.

Anyone know what tip Mark Allen uses? Makes a "crisp, klinky" decent sound, considering he rarely hits the ball hard?

Comment

last I heard he used Elk as well but that was some time ago
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

So it seems many are returning to Elks, Jimmy just said he's tried many on the market but has gone back to Elks. I wonder if they use the Elk pro's or bog standard Elks?!? In my experience anything in snooker with "pro" written on it is ****e, bit like the Triangle pro chalk for eg.

I do do really like the dependable quality and consistency of Century tips at the moment, and I can't be doing with any more trial and error with Elks or others as I just don't have time to burn on that one.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

From the few players that I have seen that were asked if they were using the pro elks all said no, just the standard ones.
                    I always figured that the only difference between the standard elks and the pro version is that they have been hardness tested?

Kyren Wilson back using the triangle chalk for a while now, is he the first top player that used taom for a long period to switch back?
                    Wonder if he has gone back to elk tips as well
                    Last edited by bobmikeking; 14 November 2019, 07:10 PM.

Comment

So Judd just seemed to confirm that he is using Elks too and interestingly seems to make them last a long time considering how he strikes the ball.

Loving the the tip talk with Andy Goldstein and Jimmy, good to see a hot amateur topic picked up and discussed in this way on TV.
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

From the few players that I have seen that were asked if they were using the pro elks all said no, just the standard ones.
                        I always figured that the only difference between the standard elks and the pro version is that they have been hardness tested?

Kyren Wilson back using the triangle chalk for a while now, is he the first top player that used taom for a long period to switch back?
                        Wonder if he has gone back to elk tips as well
                        That was my understanding on the pro Elks too, but have to say although I've only bought one, they look different too, greyer in colour.

I guess to an extent we have all been hoodwinked by manufacturers marketing, when at the end of the day cheap Elks and Basic cheap Triangle chalk is still the choice of some of the best in the game... Who are we to disagree?
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

If they are going back to Elks , I would like to see someone slip on either an MW or ADR tip and see if they could tell the difference .
                          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I think there is some cash involved....
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I don't play enough to keep experimenting with different tips, just want to enjoy playing.

I've tried a few but ended up back with Elk.

I do however check the hardness.

My reference was an Elk that measured 75 on a hardness tester that I have in the workshop. As I say I tried various and of those found that I was as happy with a Century G3 which also measured 75 - it played similarly, held chalk similarly etc. But given the price I'd rather stick with old faithful Elks and just check the hardness.

The bottom line though is that different players will prefer different tips (and chalk and cues) over others and just becuase one person likes it doesn't make it best.

Comment

Originally Posted by trying View Post
                                I don't play enough to keep experimenting with different tips, just want to enjoy playing.

I've tried a few but ended up back with Elk.

I do however check the hardness.

My reference was an Elk that measured 75 on a hardness tester that I have in the workshop. As I say I tried various and of those found that I was as happy with a Century G3 which also measured 75 - it played similarly, held chalk similarly etc. But given the price I'd rather stick with old faithful Elks and just check the hardness.

The bottom line though is that different players will prefer different tips (and chalk and cues) over others and just becuase one person likes it doesn't make it best.
                                A hardness meter does not really work for tips because what we really mean is not about hardness it is about grip.
                                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Working...
                                X