Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best cue tips to use?

hi
    i have been using else master tip medium but recently cant find any good ones, bought 2 packs and cannot find a single good tip.
    used a kamoui layer tip and i liked it, but after few weeks the tip broken from middle. didnt like blue diamond since its too hard.
    what is the best tip? what tips pros use?

please share your ideas and what tips have u used
    tnx

Try Mike Wooldridge Supertip or the ADR147 pressed tip , both very consistent .
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

after bouncing around a few tips, some good some rubbish - I have settled into a MW Supertip which is very very good
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Century Pro

Comment

Well I guess I should say something on this topic eh! firstly what pros use is not a good idea, they play on lightening fast cloths and they cue the ball perfectly, us mortals do not. Next the question is what else have you tried because almost anything is better than elks. If you liked the kamui then my layered tips are a better version of the same idea.
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

It's funny, but the more time that passes I feel that things are a combination of the tip, the cue and the chalk and all 3 either compliment or ruin the perfect match.

We all have a favourite tip but not always sure they match every cue regardless.

There are many decent tips out there that are reliable but I quite like an LT2, a G2/G3 and also a Grand Soft; these are by no means the only decent ones out there but there is just a lot of choice. I will get around to trying thew ADR tips as I have heard nothing but great stuff.
            Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
            Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
            Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
              Well I guess I should say something on this topic eh! firstly what pros use is not a good idea, they play on lightening fast cloths and they cue the ball perfectly, us mortals do not. Next the question is what else have you tried because almost anything is better than elks. If you liked the kamui then my layered tips are a better version of the same idea.
              I would like to disagree with that. On the contrary, what pros use is well tested for thousands of hours, and hence "should" be good for us. They are going for Century Pro Tips, G1 [Soft] through G4 [Hard], and I would recommend to try them.

And just because their clothes are faster doesn't mean the tip will fail on slower clothes. More importantly, only the TV tables are 'lightening fast', the other eight outside tables are not. Go with Century Pro Tips.

Comment

Originally Posted by mike1234 View Post

I would like to disagree with that. On the contrary, what pros use is well tested for thousands of hours, and hence "should" be good for us. They are going for Century Pro Tips, G1 [Soft] through G4 [Hard], and I would recommend to try them.

And just because their clothes are faster doesn't mean the tip will fail on slower clothes. More importantly, only the TV tables are 'lightening fast', the other eight outside tables are not. Go with Century Pro Tips.
                At least 6 of the current top 10 are not using Century tips

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                  It's funny, but the more time that passes I feel that things are a combination of the tip, the cue and the chalk and all 3 either compliment or ruin the perfect match.

We all have a favourite tip but not always sure they match every cue regardless.

There are many decent tips out there that are reliable but I quite like an LT2, a G2/G3 and also a Grand Soft; these are by no means the only decent ones out there but there is just a lot of choice. I will get around to trying thew ADR tips as I have heard nothing but great stuff.
                  Thanks to snooker crazy website Marc, I've managed a half decent fitting of a Century tip! I completely agree with you about the combinations, I also think it's important to factor in the type of cue. Modern cue makers like Maximus, who have developed a more forward weighted cue (generally) possibly need a different tip compared to a older style cue with the base of the weight in the butt. It really is "horses for courses" and I'm afraid a fair bit of trial an error.

picture of my effort attached and I recommend anyone deciding to have a go to watch Marc's excellent videos on his website and Youtube. I've been fitting my own tips since I started playing, but things have changed a little over the years and this advice is absolutely invaluable!
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.
                  Last edited by Cue crafty; 27 October 2019, 10:20 PM.
                  ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Thanks to snooker crazy website Marc, I've managed a half decent fitting of a Century tip! I completely agree with you about the combinations, I also think it's important to factor in the type of cue. Modern cue makers like Maximus, who have developed a more forward weighted cue (generally) possibly need a different tip compared to a older style cue with the base of the weight in the butt. It really is "horses for courses" and I'm afraid a fair bit of trial an error.

picture of my effort attached and I recommend anyone deciding to have a go to watch Marc's excellent videos on his website and Youtube. I've been fitting my own tips since I started playing, but things have changed a little over the years and this advice is absolutely invaluable!
                    Thanks for the mention and very nice tip by the way!

The You Tube videos where to answer some of the emails I get so some are long winded as people generally ask for a go slow so they can capture as much as they can as most have never fitted a tip.

The Snooker Crazy Group Channel

I've been trying a few different cues myself over the last few months. There are certain cues I have tried over the various shots where I think most would just get to the next cue but as I'm changing the tip whilst I,m at the club it's quite an eye opener how the cue can then become a player.

I'm not saying the tip makes a non playing cue a player but sometimes you can change the combination and get to where you want to be so don't always stick to your favourite tip when changing a cue as you will probably think the new cue isn't up to it when in fact it might be, you are just stuck on your favourite tip!

I always find it interesting when people say that 'x' is the best tip on the market and that's it! Hmm
                    Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
                    Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
                    Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Ronnie recently said that he uses Elk because it is the only tip that you can play every shot with. With other tips he says you have to compromise on the way you play some shots because of the tip.
                      What do you guys think about this?

He also said that when he has a duff tip on he just runs it anyway

Comment

I do think he has a point, I've never seen anyone play the check side shot on the pink when you have the wrong angle to get on the black as well as he does (And at pace sometimes when hes already won the frame). When I've tried layered tips they are pretty good and consistent, but I always felt there was less reaction on screw shots but more importantly less feel, for me anyway.

Ron is probably lucky enough to have an entourage of mates banging new Elks in for him so that he rarely gets a duff. For most of us who work and have families etc, we don't want to waste time playing with a duff tip. The trouble is once you have suffered a few bad Elks it really makes you look elsewhere for consistency.
                        Last edited by Cue crafty; 29 October 2019, 03:09 PM.
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Watching Judd tonight looks like he's using a pressed tip, possibly a century? Anyone know?
                          ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Century mentioned that he might be using one of their tips after the World's. He replied and said he has only been using elks, he gets them fitted by one of the guys at Parris' shop iirc. Possible he has changed since

Comment

Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post
                              Century mentioned that he might be using one of their tips after the World's. He replied and said he has only been using elks, he gets them fitted by one of the guys at Parris' shop iirc. Possible he has changed since
                              Can't help wondering if these comments are due to the players stature and lack of endorsement possibly.... If Century don't pay the pro to say he uses them, then he has the right to deny it and it's pretty difficult to tell the difference on TV especially!
                              ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                              X