Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cue crafty
    replied
    So Judd just seemed to confirm that he is using Elks too and interestingly seems to make them last a long time considering how he strikes the ball.

Loving the the tip talk with Andy Goldstein and Jimmy, good to see a hot amateur topic picked up and discussed in this way on TV.

Leave a comment:

• bobmikeking
    replied
    From the few players that I have seen that were asked if they were using the pro elks all said no, just the standard ones.
    I always figured that the only difference between the standard elks and the pro version is that they have been hardness tested?

Kyren Wilson back using the triangle chalk for a while now, is he the first top player that used taom for a long period to switch back?
    Wonder if he has gone back to elk tips as well
    Last edited by bobmikeking; 14 November 2019, 07:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    So it seems many are returning to Elks, Jimmy just said he's tried many on the market but has gone back to Elks. I wonder if they use the Elk pro's or bog standard Elks?!? In my experience anything in snooker with "pro" written on it is ****e, bit like the Triangle pro chalk for eg.

I do do really like the dependable quality and consistency of Century tips at the moment, and I can't be doing with any more trial and error with Elks or others as I just don't have time to burn on that one.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    last I heard he used Elk as well but that was some time ago

Leave a comment:

• mike1234
    replied
    Originally Posted by bobmikeking View Post
    Ronnie recently said that he uses Elk because it is the only tip that you can play every shot with. With other tips he says you have to compromise on the way you play some shots because of the tip.
    What do you guys think about this?

He also said that when he has a duff tip on he just runs it anyway
    Yes, and Ronnie also said that "*Most try different tips but then they always seem to come back to Elks"! And Jimmy White agreed with him, in that interview. Given that there will always be a small percent of pros using laminated tips or others.
    Ps. * Ronnie is talking about pros here, and not club players of course.

Anyone know what tip Mark Allen uses? Makes a "crisp, klinky" decent sound, considering he rarely hits the ball hard?

Leave a comment:

• Neil Taperell
    replied
    Used to be a bulk standard elk .

Leave a comment:

• Delphi
    replied
    Can anyone tell me what type cue tips and softness JP puts on his cues by default?

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Dodger
    replied
    Still using ye olde faithful Elks.. no med soft or hard on the box... they are so old i dont think that soft hard med existed back then

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied

Could very well be the case, it seems that the only player that might actually be getting some sort of paycheck from Century is Selby. He is listed as an official brand ambassador. It seems a bit crazy to me how happy some of the players are to promote brands in exchange for some free low cost products.
    Maybe they caught him at a low ebb when his form had slumped and any deal seemed inviting possibly .

Good call by Century if so as form is temporary but class is permanent and it could just pay dividends now he is looking sharp again.

Leave a comment:

• bobmikeking
    replied
    Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Can't help wondering if these comments are due to the players stature and lack of endorsement possibly.... If Century don't pay the pro to say he uses them, then he has the right to deny it and it's pretty difficult to tell the difference on TV especially!
    Could very well be the case, it seems that the only player that might actually be getting some sort of paycheck from Century is Selby. He is listed as an official brand ambassador. It seems a bit crazy to me how happy some of the players are to promote brands in exchange for some free low cost products.

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    Century mentioned that he might be using one of their tips after the World's. He replied and said he has only been using elks, he gets them fitted by one of the guys at Parris' shop iirc. Possible he has changed since
    Can't help wondering if these comments are due to the players stature and lack of endorsement possibly.... If Century don't pay the pro to say he uses them, then he has the right to deny it and it's pretty difficult to tell the difference on TV especially!

Leave a comment:

• bobmikeking
    replied
    Century mentioned that he might be using one of their tips after the World's. He replied and said he has only been using elks, he gets them fitted by one of the guys at Parris' shop iirc. Possible he has changed since

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    Watching Judd tonight looks like he's using a pressed tip, possibly a century? Anyone know?

Leave a comment:

• Cue crafty
    replied
    I do think he has a point, I've never seen anyone play the check side shot on the pink when you have the wrong angle to get on the black as well as he does (And at pace sometimes when hes already won the frame). When I've tried layered tips they are pretty good and consistent, but I always felt there was less reaction on screw shots but more importantly less feel, for me anyway.

Ron is probably lucky enough to have an entourage of mates banging new Elks in for him so that he rarely gets a duff. For most of us who work and have families etc, we don't want to waste time playing with a duff tip. The trouble is once you have suffered a few bad Elks it really makes you look elsewhere for consistency.
    Last edited by Cue crafty; 29 October 2019, 03:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bobmikeking
    replied
    Ronnie recently said that he uses Elk because it is the only tip that you can play every shot with. With other tips he says you have to compromise on the way you play some shots because of the tip.
    What do you guys think about this?

He also said that when he has a duff tip on he just runs it anyway

Leave a comment:

Working...
X