Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a special name for this cannon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeanH
    replied
    just throw another out there:

Combination Shot in UK pool is where you pot your ball and an opponent's ball in the same shot; not always allowed depending on the rules being played

Leave a comment:

• CueAndMe
    replied
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, DeanH! So a "plant" is not only what we call a "combination" in pool, where one object ball strikes a second and the second enters the pocket, but can also be where the first object ball strikes a second and the first enters the pocket. Interesting.

What I'll be releasing is something very radical that I've been working on for about two and a half years. It's a huge release through my website http://cueandme.com. 40,000 words and 700 images and a completely new take on snooker, pool and other cue sports. Fortunately for those who don't want to dive that deep, I'll have an abridged version. And although I've spent about 5,000 hours so far on it, I'm making it a donation-based release, because I want everyone to have access to it. I'm hoping to release it by the end of this month, but I may leak into early November. When I release it I'll create a post on the forum announcing it.

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Interested in what you are releasing

Carom (European billiards term) is the original term for cannon (English billiards & snooker derivative), so they are the same - the cue ball contacts two (or more) object balls one after the other. Just common usage differs, carom is barely used (would like to say never, but "never say never" ) in English billiards and snooker.

Plant and Set - the cue ball hits one object ball.
    These two terms have become to mean the same, many say because of TV commentators either being lazy or knowledgeable, but originally they were different.
    It does not help but depending on the old publication you read the definitions swap, so in a way maybe good that they have merged

Originally, i.e. from English Billiards:
    Plant - the ball hit by the cue ball enters the pocket off another object ball.
    Set - the ball touching the ball hit enters the pocket. Often, if the balls are in direct line with the pocket, called dead set (or "dead plant" I have seen in a few old publications).
    or "Set and Plant" - the other way round!
    I think in the 1800s they did not have a clear definition so how are we to manage

Plant - modern term for when one object ball hits another object ball and either enters the pocket.
    In-Off - the cue ball enters the pocket after hitting another ball.

Off topic - email notifications have not worked since TSF as updated to a new version of vBulletin; since been updated again and the techie has this issue on the list
    Last edited by DeanH; 18 October 2019, 06:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CueAndMe
    replied
    And then there's the shot where one object ball caroms or cannons off of another object ball, and the first object ball goes in. I thought maybe that was a "billiard" in pool, whereas a "carom" was where the cue ball strikes the second object ball after first colliding with another object ball. Anyway, thanks for clarifying that there is no special name for it in snooker. I cover caroms and cannons in something I'll be releasing soon, and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss the proper term.

This is off-topic,but I don't know why I'm not receiving email notifications of posts on this thread. I have it set up properly under settings. I haven't posted in about a year, but I think the same thing happened to the other threads. Anyone having the same issue?

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    he may have called the CANNON a "Billiards shot" - as in "a shot from the game (English) Billiards" - as it is scoring shot in English Billiards, but generally the shot itself is called a Cannon - even in English Billiards, not a "billiard"
    semantics

never trust what Virgo say :wink:
    renowned for calling the wrong shots, using wrong terms, and generally making things up on the spur of the moment at the microphone!

I have never heard or used the term "Carom" or "Billiard" in respect to a shot in snooker or UK pool
    From my records, and a very quick search, the last time I find "Carom" used with regards a cannon shot is early 1900s :wink:
    Last edited by DeanH; 17 October 2019, 12:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mark187187
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

There is no shot called "Billiard" in snooker (or English Billiards) as far as I know
    I've heard a carom called a billiard quite a bit. Maybe it's just something one of the commentators has coined themself. Probably someone like Virgo who has his own unique terminology

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by CueAndMe View Post
    I've watched a ton of pro snooker over the last year, and I don't recall any commentators calling it anything special. Thanks for your replies! Cheers!
    Not often but you do hear the term cannon, like "to cannon the other red to hold for the black"
    but your scenario - hitting one object ball and then another and pot the second ball - is not a common shot in snooker

even a plant - cue ball hitting one object ball onto another object ball, often for a pot, is more common

Leave a comment:

• CueAndMe
    replied
    I've watched a ton of pro snooker over the last year, and I don't recall any commentators calling it anything special. Thanks for your replies! Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    Cannon = the cue ball contacts two (or more) object balls, one after the other.
    To answer your question, this shot in snooker is called a "cannon".
    A cannon can be a pot or not; in English Billiards a canon is a scoring shot, it is not in snooker

There is no shot called "Billiard" in snooker (or English Billiards) as far as I know

In English pool this shot is also called a cannon. Not heard of any shot called "Carom"
    In addition, there is history that the term cannon probably was derived from the french term carom
    I believe in US pool "carom" is used instead of "cannon".

Leave a comment:

• Mark187187
    replied
    I call it a Carom, but I guess it can also be called a Billiard

Leave a comment:

• CueAndMe
    started a topic Is there a special name for this cannon?

Is there a special name for this cannon?

Hello. What do you call a shot where you intentionally cannon the cue ball off of one red into another red so that the second red goes into a pocket? In pool we call it a carom shot, but I'm wondering if there's a special name for this particular cannon in snooker. Thanks!
Working...
X