Players Leaving The Auditorium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Players Leaving The Auditorium

Over the years, it has become common practice for players to leave the auditorium after the end of a frame. Some players take this to the extreme and are away from the table for quite some time ( I refer to the world quarter final match of 2010, when one player was gone for 10 minutes after one frame and then 5 minutes after the next). In my opinion, this was 'Ungentlemanly Conduct' and the player should have been warned. Had he been 10 minutes late at the start of the match, he would have been docked a frame! I would also argue that this can be deemed 'timewasting', as in my mind, it could break the players opponents concentration.
    If a player needs to leave the auditorium, he (or she) should have a genuine reason for doing so, not just so he can re-gain his thoughts, and should not be gone for longer than it takes the referee to re-set the table (of course at some venues, the toilets etc., are a considerable distance from the playing area and the referee should take this into account).
    The pressure of being in the arena is part of the game and if a player has to 'sit and stew', then so be it.
    Of course sometimes, both players leave. But if they are both gone for a long time, I can see no reason why the referee cant warn both players on their return.
    A player can be warned for taking an undue amount of time on taking a shot (Section 4, rule 3 - Timewasting), so why cant that rule, or section 4, rule 1 (ungentlemanly conduct), be applied to players taking a long time away from the arena between frames, or continually leaving the arena after a frame has finished?
    The public pay a lot of money to see their players, and I for one, get fed up with players leaving the auditorium, just because they have either won or lost a tight frame.
    You are only the best on the day you win.

what happened about the "limited allowed number of times to leave the auditorium" edict that came out a season or two ago?
    Also that it did not seem to have been enforced anyway.

I agree with your comments above, especially the "affect the opponents concentration" scenario.

Medical conditions, etc., accepted of course.

The recent Donaldson v Dott is a case in point. Dott could have claimed the frame after 15mins (IIRC) but he did not, he allowed Donaldson 40+ to get better.
    Last edited by DeanH; 1 November 2019, 11:28 AM.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Totally agree , constitutes timewasting in my book and , as you say , ungentlemanly conduct . Nothing seems to have been done after they mentioned limiting the breaks either .

For some reason when this subject is brought up , I always remember Selby hiding behind the curtain and making his young opponent wait . I believe that Selby was then spooked by a cameraman from the BBC .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Neil, wasn't that Selby thing just him waiting for an appropriate moment to re enter the arena? Ie the crowd sometimes clap when a player returns and that would of put the other players in the arena off???

Comment

or was it when he would have been in line of sight from another table?
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
            or was it when he would have been in line of sight from another table?
            More than likely one of those 2 things or both

Comment

I bet every snooker player worth their salt has nipped out 'to the toilet' after their opponents blitzed them in a frame, I know I have on occasion.
              I can't really see how this can be policed properly, what do you do, get somebody to watch them on their comfort break?
              "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                Neil, wasn't that Selby thing just him waiting for an appropriate moment to re enter the arena? Ie the crowd sometimes clap when a player returns and that would of put the other players in the arena off???
                Yep. Just the usual Selby hating nonsense from ROS fans.

-
                The fast and the furious,
                The slow and labourious,
                All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Not at all , I remember a number of comments about this at the time .
                  Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

I say start employing the toilet police.. its a crappy job but someones got to do it

Comment

Originally Posted by The Artful Dodger View Post
                      I say start employing the toilet police.. its a crappy job but someones got to do it
                      Just a bunch of arze wipes really.
                      ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Working...
                      X