Free ball seanario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free ball seanario

This just happened in a game I was playing tonight. My opponent potted the last red and green at same time but when the green was respotted it left me full ball snookered on the yellow which was in the jaws of the corner pocket. I said to my opponent free ball. I nominated green. My intention was to plant the green on to the yellow and pot it leaving green over pocket for my next shot. But while playing the shot both balls went in. As I chose the green as a yellow and potted both balls do I score 4 points? Is it only the green that comes back up or do both get respotted? We were not sure so I only gave myself 2 points and we only respotted the green ball.

Sure you guys will correct me.

Cheers Ricky

If you pot both the colour on and the free ball then only the colour scores (ie 2 points). The yellow stays down and the green is spotted, so seems like you got it correct.

For the record, if you have a free ball as a red and pot it and one or more actual reds, then each one would count as one point.
    Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Thanks Londonlad for clearing that up.

Cheers Ricky

Comment

Londonlad147, apologies for asking this question but brain not working too well ATM.
        I think I saw a situation in a tournament where the last red was potted incorrecty, eg, by foul means. I seem to remember that the red was taken out of the pocket and replaced. Am I havering?
        Think the scenario was that the red was hanging over a baulk pocket. It was to the strikers advantage to get the red off the table so as to deny his opponent the opportunity of taking the final red with a colour.
        Possibly ref called "foul and a miss" but not sure, so different scenario from red and green situation described in this thread.
        Last edited by Nifty50; 26 November 2019, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Not sure about that previous answer. I may well be incorrect but by selecting the green as the free ball it effectively becomes a yellow in that situation. I think you should have given yourself 4 points and respotted the green. Thats what i would have done. You can pot two reds in one shot so why not two yellows?

Comment

Originally Posted by The Artful Dodger View Post
            Not sure about that previous answer. I may well be incorrect but by selecting the green as the free ball it effectively becomes a yellow in that situation. I think you should have given yourself 4 points and respotted the green. Thats what i would have done. You can pot two reds in one shot so why not two yellows?
            You are correct, the Green effectively becomes a Yellow for the stroke and if potted it scores the same as the ball on (Yellow in then case) and is then spotted as itself.

The above responses say in a Free Ball situation you CAN pot both the Yellow AND the nominated Free Ball Green in the same stroke BUT you only score the 2 points for a single Yellow - not 4 (Yellow and Green).
            The thinking is - at the start of the game there are 15 reds, so if you pot more than one Red in a stroke you get that number of points; BUT at the start of the game there is only one of each colour, so you can only score once per stroke

As above responses - if a colour and a Nominated ball both potted when no reds left on the table, the ball on is scored and left in the pocket, the nominated ball is spotted as itslef, game continues to next ball on.
            Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

The reason is that there is only ever ONE yellow as an object ball so only ever 2 points available. With reds there are 15 so in theory you could pot all 15 reds in one stroke and score 15 points. Highly unlikely, of course, but not unusual for 2 or 3 reds to be potted in a single stroke.

Comment

I may well be incorrect but by selecting the green as the free ball it effectively becomes a yellow in that situation. I think you should have given yourself 4 points and respotted the green. Thats what i would have done. You can pot two reds in one shot so why not two yellows?
                Yes, the green does effectively become a yellow, but remember in snooker, unlike pool, a nominated free ball has to be the ball the cue ball strikes first. You can't therefore play the partially obscured yellow onto a green hanging over the pocket (but as stated in previous answers you can play the green first to pot the yellow).
                Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Cheers guys for your answers

Comment

Working...
                  X