Burnish tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by kayen147 View Post
    i use the back of a sandpaper, also i usually use 180 grit sandpaper to even the tip sides with the ferrule but i found out that i damage the ferrule (top of the ferrule is getting smaller than the base). any recommendations on with sandpaper to use ?
    I use Kingspor Auto-paper. I take the tip as close as possible with a razor blade. Then start with masking tape on the ferrule and sand the edge of the tip with 400, 600 and 800 grit. I finish up gently with 1000 and 1200 with the tape off as it really just shines it up. I burnish with a bit of spit and the back of a leather belt.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cue crafty View Post

Great work as always. It was you who inspired me to get better results with the finish on my tips . What cue tip are you using there BTW?
      Hi Cue Crafty, I'm glad to hear that
      It's normal Elk master tip
      Been messy around with tips and still went back to a good Elk
      Manage to select afew good ones from a box of 50.
      Burnish is just for cosmetic
      After afew games the tip wall will haired up and required to burnish again. I won't mind to keep burnish the tip as long it please my eyes.. hahaha..
      Hi Ho The Merry Yo, The Black Went In The Hole~ :snooker:

Comment

Like Cue Crafty, I like to burnish the edges and use a number of methods.

I use a leather edging clear wax coat that I use on cases which helps with burnishing or if I want a black side wall effect I will use a black wax boot polish and burnish with 3 or 4,000 micromesh.

I obviously apply it carefully so's not to get it on the top of the tip ad burnish it until there is effectively no wax to come off.

I check the sides and tip with a clean tissue so there is absolutely no wax left especially if someone wants to roll it on a table afterwards with black polish on it lol.

Lots of methods work and many use leather pads as made by Kamui but I generally use micromesh or even some strips of 3000 grit paper.
        Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
        Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
        Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

Matthews Stevens on TV just now using a ?20 to polish the tip sides

he used to have a small bit of emery-cloth but that would wear down the ferrule and tip and he had to have a lot of new ferrules fitted
          Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I always burnish the sides of the tip with 1000 grit paper and with 2500 grit paper clean and shine the ferrule. 0000# ultrafine steel wool is also a good option. For best results i use the buffing pad of a dremel after applying some brass cleaner like Brasso or Turtle wax.81775737_10216067208180545_7919784144656138240_o.jpg

Comment

Originally Posted by hasan.rashid14 View Post
              I always burnish the sides of the tip with 1000 grit paper and with 2500 grit paper clean and shine the ferrule. 0000# ultrafine steel wool is also a good option. For best results i use the buffing pad of a dremel after applying some brass cleaner like Brasso or Turtle wax.81775737_10216067208180545_7919784144656138240_o.jpg
              That's immaculate.
              This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
              https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

I don't burnish my tips at all as there's a real danger using waxes/inks/polish etc that these substances can creep under the ferrule/tip and over time can soften the wood, same with shining up the ferrule. Do it dry or not at all if you want to keep your cue for life.
                Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Tiny bit of saliva on your finger tip, wipe it round edge of tip and use rough side of a bit of leather held against tip then spin the cue, comes up perfect all the time and there ain't enough moisture to do wat vmax said

Comment

Hassan u might not want to use 1000 and 2500 near your ferrule, believe me it won't be long before u notice your coming the ferrule in, better idea be to cut the tip flush rather than leaving it out the way your doing and use bit of leather to burnish, use a blade gently to get rid of any glue u leave on the ferrule and the leather cleans the ferrule while burnishing the tip

Comment

sometimes I burnish the sides of a tip with a small piece of 3000 grit paper and use to use ADR's trick of ?20 note!
                      not a regular habit of mine though - never used any substances though

edit - as Frazz said, when I use the 3000 grit I have some masking tape around the ferrule to ensure I don't scratch/wear that down
                      Last edited by DeanH; 7 April 2020, 10:33 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by frazz View Post
                        Hassan u might not want to use 1000 and 2500 near your ferrule, believe me it won't be long before u notice your coming the ferrule in, better idea be to cut the tip flush rather than leaving it out the way your doing and use bit of leather to burnish, use a blade gently to get rid of any glue u leave on the ferrule and the leather cleans the ferrule while burnishing the tip
                        Thanks for that Frazz, I thought 2500 grit would just be a polishing grit, every day is a school day , as they say.
                        This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                        https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

It might seem like it will polish but use a clean bit of 2500 and look at the brass that comes off on it, small amounts but u do that say once a week for a year or 2 u he needing a new ferrule before long. U shouldn't really touch the ferrule with anything abrasive, I was doing the same with 3200 3600 and 4000 grit and had to get a new ferrule which caused my cue to be too short and ruined my season cause I spent 6 months trying to find a cue I liked

Comment

If I want to polish up the ferrule, I usually do it when there is no tip on it, if there is a tip I may use masking tape around it; also masking tape on the shaft below the ferrule then I use Brasso wadding, only a very small bit is required, wipe that around and then buff off with kitchen paper roll, then buff off again to ensure no Brasso is left.
                            But the brass will tarnish with time due to natural oxidisation.
                            Some time ago, someone did mention some polish that prevents the brass from oxidising or greatly slows the process, I can not recall the product.

Comment

I'm going to have a go at this today for the first time, wish me luck lol

PS Good tips, bad tips... can someone explain please? My tip is an elk that was fitted on my new cue. :snooker:
                              Practice, Learn, Improve, Enjoy, Practice, Learn, Improve, Enjoy :snooker:

Comment

I use the tip burnisher by ADR, it does not harm the ferrule at the same time it burnishes the tip.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snooker-P...wAAOSwXeJYLd3M

Comment

Working...
                                X