Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct placement of the pink

Hello,

Just started playing and was wondering if you could offer some clarification (as I see everyone setting up differently in my hall).

As I understand it, the red balls should be placed as close as possible to the pink (on break off). However how do you achieve this? The triangle varies in width and I'm not confident in pushing the balls closer to the pink after having set them up. Perhaps there is a better triangle than they use in my club?

Any tips are most welcome!

Cheers,

Sam

often the triangles down the club do take a bit of getting used to

You are correct with the pink on its spot the reds are as close as possible without touching.
    You have to set the reds before before spotting the pink so the gaps sometimes is way too big
    With the triangles at my club I know that on one table I can have the outside edge of the triangle to the 'top' of the pink spot and the gap will be pretty good; where on another table you go for nearer the 'bottom' and it works.
    In clubs usually the gap can be way too much for a pro game but for us mere-mortals, a few mill will work - often the pink rocks on its spot anyway....
    Have fun and don't be too fussy.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

At first placing the pink is a bit trial and error, but the more frames you set up the more you will be able to judge it as you move the triangle forward.

And another tip: never drop the balls into the triangle, as, over time, the impact of the balls hitting the cloth will damage the cloth. Always just place the reds on the table and gather them into a triangle with your arms before placing the triangle on top.

For the same reason you should always roll a colour onto its spot from maybe 1cm or so away, rather than plonking it directly on.
      Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Great, thanks guys! Just wish they had a triangle that included the pink! (bit ocd)

Comment

Hello,

Have you looked into the products on my page?

It includes a snooker triangle with a marker for the pink spot. this creates the ideal gap between the leading red and the pink spot.

https://theracker.co.uk/shop/pro-rac...uction-models/

Comment

When playing i sometimes see people putting the reds in place, then pink but with far too much space between, i wouldn't break off, first align them correctly, pink and top red has to be nearly touching, not have a gap of 2 cm.
            Takes a bit of getting used to but once you get used to it it's easy to align correctly.

Comment

Yes, it really is trial and error, which gets easier the more you do it.
              Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by Samwise View Post
                (bit ocd)
                I know how that feels, i have a special detail too, when i stop playing and put the balls back on the tray they have to be in order, i can't just randomly put them on the tray.
                Bottom left white, bottom right black, 3 rows of reds and on top from left to right yellow, green, brown, blue and pink.

This for example is soooo wrong
                41Ov7PSC56L._AC_SX425_.jpg
                Last edited by Delphi; 11 April 2020, 10:49 AM.

Comment

is there a doctor in the house?

Comment

I’m the same when I put the balls back in the case . White , yellow , green etc followed by the reds ..........OCD !
                    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Sad to say , I'm in the put your balls back in the correct order camp, we aren't animals.
                      This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                      https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by Delphi View Post
                        When playing i sometimes see people putting the reds in place, then pink but with far too much space between, i wouldn't break off, first align them correctly, pink and top red has to be nearly touching, not have a gap of 2 cm.
                        Takes a bit of getting used to but once you get used to it it's easy to align correctly.
                        Blimey I dont blame you Delphi 20mm is nearly an inch.
                        Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          is there a doctor in the house?

No they are all battling some new nasty virus i heard.
                          It's all taking so long...still no real relief here, wonder in which month we'll see the clubs opening again.

Comment

As long as the pink doesn't pot into the top two corner pockets is OK, who decides what is 'as close as possible', you could spend quite a while trying to get it right but as soon as the break off is made it's moved anyway and besides, a little bit a variation is a good thing IMO.
                            Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                            but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Once I saw a lad put the apex Red on the Pink spot and then put the pink as close as possible!
                              What he did not know was that he was doing it nearly correctly as per 1917-21 rules
                              Where, at the start of a game the apex Red of the "pyramid" goes on the "pyramid" spot (we call it the pink spot) and the Pink is placed TOUCHING the apex Red, Pink goes on the Pyramid spot afterwards if possible.

The rules changed to how we have it today by 1929.
                              Last edited by DeanH; 12 April 2020, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X