Using the cross rest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using the cross rest

Why is the butt head not used anymore in favor of the cross rest which is now used?

When I started playing snooker years ago we were told by the ‘bible’ How I play Snooker by Joe Davis that you use the low side of the cross rest, however when I look at the modern pro game all the players use the high side.
    Can anyone throw any light on the above?
    When you but cheap... You buy twice !

I hardly ever use the high side...…...maybe that's where I am going wrong !
    Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Cross-head rest - I use whichever side is best for what I am after, low side for stun/screw and high side for top; but did I see somewhere that the modern cross head rests are the same height now, i.e. a square not a rectangle?
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I nearly always use the high side now, I just find it promotes cueing through the ball more effectively.
        "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
          Cross-head rest - I use whichever side is best for what I am after, low side for stun/screw and high side for top; but did I see somewhere that the modern cross head rests are the same height now, i.e. a square not a rectangle?
          I thought that was my imagination so I'm glad someone else has found this! I've always just used whatever I need to strike the ball where I want to for screw, top or centre.

Think it was Gary Wilson I noticed using the cross rest but holding it with the head off the baize. Seem to remember the shot went ok but I wondered at the time why not just use a higher rest

Interesting question about the butt rest (low spider as I used to call it). I don't remember the last time I saw one of these in a club. I've got one for my own table (not up and running yet) so I have a complete set of rests, may not get used much but it will be there

Comment

Butt Head - the only ones of these we have now are on one of the new telescopic half-butts we now have (the other being a cross-head). I think the old butt-head rests are somewhere in the store-cupboard.
            I have seen a few players lifting the rest-head off the baize to get height, usually because they don't want to use the swan-neck or extended spider

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
              Yes Dean, you can't buy a new one that has a low and high side, something the manufacturers are in the dark about. One would think that World Snooker would have told them rather than put up with it, but they also put up with those awful balls, so either they don't give a damn or are in hock to the suppliers and sponsors.
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

Yes Dean, you can't buy a new one that has a low and high side, something the manufacturers are in the dark about. One would think that World Snooker would have told them rather than put up with it, but they also put up with those awful balls, so either they don't give a damn or are in hock to the suppliers and sponsors.
                I looked at the rests being used this week at the Masters and they appear to be rectangular
                Maybe "old stock"?

Comment

Following on from yesterdays boredom and the rules on A3 ... For todays trick I have measured my cross rests and the overall dimensions of the head are 58mm one way and 64mm the other... so they are slightly rectangular therefore higher one way than tother but not by much

Comment

Originally Posted by trying View Post
                    Following on from yesterdays boredom and the rules on A3 ... For todays trick I have measured my cross rests and the overall dimensions of the head are 58mm one way and 64mm the other... so they are slightly rectangular therefore higher one way than tother but not by much
                    and a butt head, spider, extended spider?
                    :biggrin:

Comment

Oh yes and swan neck, the full set

Comment

6mm, that makes very little difference. I bought new ones for my club and made shafts for them and they are 80mm square, couldn't find any that were any different. The ones on tv all look very square to me, unlike the old ones with the plastic feet which had a discernable difference.
                        Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                        but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post

6mm, that makes very little difference. I bought new ones for my club and made shafts for them and they are 80mm square, couldn't find any that were any different. The ones on tv all look very square to me, unlike the old ones with the plastic feet which had a discernable difference.
                          Out of interest vmax, did you mean that they are 80mm across the diagonals? Mine measure 80mm across the diagonals. I only ask because 80mm square sounds huge

Comment

Out of interest vmax, did you mean that they are 80mm across the diagonals? Mine measure 80mm across the diagonals. I only ask because 80mm square sounds huge
                            Yes that's right, 80mm across the diagonals which makes them 60mm square, my mistake.

Comment

I use the low side, it just feels more natural somehow, nearer centre striking.
                              Practice, Learn, Improve, Enjoy, Practice, Learn, Improve, Enjoy :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X