Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catching object ball correctly when on a cushion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catching object ball correctly when on a cushion?

I've never understood why players find it so much more difficult to catch an object ball properly (for a return to baulk safety) when said object ball is on a cushion. Theoretically it shouldn't make a difference, but so often we see them catch the ball too thick (or miss it completely). Is it just phycology at work (fear of the double kiss) or is there a technical reason?
    Last edited by Billy; 9 February 2020, 10:39 PM.
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Fear of the double kiss for me Billy
    "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

When you put it like that Billy , it shouldn't make any difference . But I suppose subconsciously it does , fear of missing is my issue . Hence the reason that I normally hit them thick !
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
        Fear of the double kiss for me Billy
        Originally Posted by Neil Taperell
        When you put it like that Billy , it shouldn't make any difference . But I suppose subconsciously it does , fear of missing is my issue . Hence the reason that I normally hit them thick !
        It sounded like I was saying I can play such shots perfectly every time, but aside from the fact i don't play (and never have beyond a few frames with mates) I do sense the difficulty myself when I see a player presented with such a shot. I always find myself thinking, oh, this isn't a nice shot to have to play. I suppose one tactic would be to just imagine the cushion isn't there.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.
        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

I tend to miss completely through fear of hitting the ball to thick...
          :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
            I tend to miss completely through fear of hitting the ball to thick...
            :snooker:
            Yes, and that’s my point. Do you miss altogether when the red isn’t on a cushion?

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
              Yes, and that’s my point. Do you miss altogether when the red isn’t on a cushion?
              Occasionally if I attempt a very thin cut back into a middle pocket I may miss, the majority of the time though I probably catch them too thick. I think the problem when a ball is tight to the cushion I know if I catch it thick I’ll probably leave my opponent and easy shot over the corner pocket or mess up my safety shot and give my opponent the advantage.

Comment

Why is it that you don’t play yourself Billy? If you don’t mind my asking?

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
                  Why is it that you don’t play yourself Billy? If you don’t mind my asking?
                  I used to play many years ago (just a few frames with friends) but used to struggle with neck ache. It used to result in excruciating migraines and by the time I stopped playing I was having to take shots more like a pool player (almost standing straight). I just couldn’t get down on the shot because of stiffness and pain. Also the snooker clubs were dying off anyway so we were having to go further afield to play.

Comment

Content removed
                    Last edited by DeanH; 14 February 2020, 08:02 PM. Reason: Spam content removed

Comment

Wtf ???????????????????
                      Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

Originally Posted by John Flaf View Post
                        Wtf ???????????????????
                        Spam, clearly, but that wall of text is bizarre! I thought it was just a series of key-words at first, but they seem to be sentences of a sort... of complete and utter nonsensical gobble-de-gook!

Comment

Hello!

It just comes down to the margin of error once the cue-ball leaves the object ball. If the object ball is in the middle of the table, the cue-ball has further to travel before it hits the cushion, and this increases your margin of error massively. Small mistakes in terms of a thicker or thinner contact are far less exaggerated.

When the object ball is very close to the cushion, the contact point must be far more accurate. The cue-ball has no distance to travel before hitting the cushion, and this means even the smallest mistake means leaving the cue-ball in the bottom half of the table.

You also have the risk of the double-kiss as mentioned. Slightly too thick with the object ball is close to the cushion and you'll get the double kiss.

The way to think about this is the same as when a ball is close to the pocket. Small mistake on the contact point and we will still pot the ball. BUT, when the object ball is further away from the pocket, small mistake means missing the pot by a long way.

Hope that makes sense
                          WPBSA Level 2 - 1st4Sport Coach
                          Available for personalised one-to-one coaching sessions
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Probably not text book but if the OB is tight on cushion I tend to hit it thick but play with L/R hand side to take CB off cushion and into safe zone.
                            Snooker is a game of simple shots played to perfection, Joe Davies

Comment

Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
                              If the object ball is in the middle of the table, the cue-ball has further to travel before it hits the cushion, and this increases your margin of error massively. Small mistakes in terms of a thicker or thinner contact are far less exaggerated.

When the object ball is very close to the cushion, the contact point must be far more accurate. The cue-ball has no distance to travel before hitting the cushion, and this means even the smallest mistake means leaving the cue-ball in the bottom half of the table.
                              Brilliant! I've never had it explained so clearly. Reading this, it makes perfect sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X