Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reds triangle at start of game

Hi everyone

in the tournaments, when the referee sets up the table before each game, are the reds positioned/centred using the referees judgment or is there some technology involved to make sure they are not off centre?
    thanks
    Ollie

The triangle usually has a marker which shows the pink's position. Thus, positioning the reds automatically inside the triangle. Without such a triangle, it's upto the referee's judgement to spot the pink as close to the reds as possible avoiding a touching ball with the top most red.
    Last edited by fkhan; 4 June 2020, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Thanks, it was more the back of the pack I was wondering about. I.e. if the ref can unintentionally pivot the triangle about that top red.
      cheers
      Ollie

Comment

If the pink and the top most red are in a straight line with the pink and black spots it is fine. Just wondering, how do you like your NHS Exquisite cue? Tried it yet?
        Last edited by fkhan; 4 June 2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker_bhoy View Post
          Thanks, it was more the back of the pack I was wondering about. I.e. if the ref can unintentionally pivot the triangle about that top red.
          cheers
          Ollie
          To illustrate here is a photo that shows the indicator clearly.
          As you probably have seen the referee pushes the triangle into the cushion to ensure the reds will be parallel with it when in place.
          The indicator is also used to align with the Black spot to line up with the middle of the table.
          To hep not pivot the pack as you move the pack from the cushion into position, the triangle has rollers underneath, or at least some do, to help withplacement.
          FYI the triagle you see the refs use is their own equipment, not issued by WST or WPBSA.

Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Hmm, interesting, thanks guys...

Hi FK,
            The cue is very nice indeed, contrasts nicely with my ash pool cue. I haven’t had a chance to hit with it yet. I sometimes play in Hurricanes in Kings Cross, but need to find something closer to Rotherhithe/Peckham. Might see if the Peckham Liberal Club still has tables...

Comment

Good luck.

Comment

Yep, not easy to find somewhere anymore

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

To illustrate here is a photo that shows the indicator clearly.
                  As you probably have seen the referee pushes the triangle into the cushion to ensure the reds will be parallel with it when in place.
                  The indicator is also used to align with the Black spot to line up with the middle of the table.
                  To hep not pivot the pack as you move the pack from the cushion into position, the triangle has rollers underneath, or at least some do, to help withplacement.
                  FYI the triagle you see the refs use is their own equipment, not issued by WST or WPBSA.

Thanks Dean

So really the ref should be checking that the centre red in the 5th row is in line with the blue and black spots. I doubt those rollers when used are 100% indivertible. You would think those triangles should be a standard supplied by the tournament.

Comment

correct, the tool is there but the ref must ensure the alignment is right before lifting the triangle

As referees have worked their way up from the lower and local tournaments, and often do personal jobs at non-official events to earn a few shekels, the triangle is a must have in their personal kit list
                    Last edited by DeanH; 5 June 2020, 08:28 AM.
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Once the triangle is placed over the reds it will be adjusted so that the pointer will be at the centre of the back spot, and the back of the 'triangle' is flush with the top cushion. It should then just be a matter of gently rolling the triangle forward until the pointer points to the pink spot. Assuming the spots are properly marked then that should mean that the back of the reds is also parallel to the top cushion.

Sometimes I've found that the pointer is out of alignment with the pink spot, but a further attempt usually does the job!
                      Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

I actually find it very odd that the ref needs to bring his own triangle, why is that not part of the table/rest/extensions and other attributes set?

Comment

I agree 100% Delphi

Comment

I don’t know why they just don’t make the triangle with an extension down to the black spot. Like a Christmas tree!

Then the triangle wouldn’t need rollers or a check to see if the balls are in line. If the triangle is aligned to the pink and black spots, that’s as good as it can get
                            Last edited by snooker_bhoy; 5 June 2020, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I know that Star, certainly at one point, provided a drawer under their tables which contained a fairly awful 'square triangle'. Horrible things to use that were nowhere near as good as the ones you see the top refs using.
                              Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Working...
                              X