X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeanH
    replied
    Originally Posted by Rubyf View Post
    In this case, I suggest figuring out the difference between billiards and snooker.

Seems useful.
    Strange that your link did not show up on your first post?

Anyway, the link, the "Billiards" they are talking about is CAROM (three-cushion billiards) not ENGLISH BILLIARDS and they are not talking about SNOOKER at all.

Leave a comment:

• Rubyf
    replied
    In this case, I suggest figuring out the difference between billiards and snooker like in this article https://differencebtwn.com/differenc...iards-and-pool.
    Seems useful.

Leave a comment:

• snooker_bhoy
    replied
    Yep, a little too cryptic for me

Leave a comment:

• itsnoteasy
    replied
    Originally Posted by snooker_bhoy View Post
    Could you give a little more explanation?
    Is it you don't need a triangle to play billiards? Just guessing.

Leave a comment:

• snooker_bhoy
    replied
    In this case, I suggest figuring out the difference between billiards and snooker.
    Could you give a little more explanation?

Leave a comment:

• Rubyf
    replied

Leave a comment:

• snooker_bhoy
    replied
    Have you a photo?

Leave a comment:

• Londonlad147
    replied
    Originally Posted by snooker_bhoy View Post
    I don’t know why they just don’t make the triangle with an extension down to the black spot. Like a Christmas tree!

Then the triangle wouldn’t need rollers or a check to see if the balls are in line. If the triangle is aligned to the pink and black spots, that’s as good as it can get
    But a decent 'square triangle' should be millimetre perfect every time, no faffing about.

Leave a comment:

• Londonlad147
    replied
    I know that Star, certainly at one point, provided a drawer under their tables which contained a fairly awful 'square triangle'. Horrible things to use that were nowhere near as good as the ones you see the top refs using.

Leave a comment:

• snooker_bhoy
    replied
    I don’t know why they just don’t make the triangle with an extension down to the black spot. Like a Christmas tree!

Then the triangle wouldn’t need rollers or a check to see if the balls are in line. If the triangle is aligned to the pink and black spots, that’s as good as it can get
    Last edited by snooker_bhoy; 5 June 2020, 08:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• snooker_bhoy
    replied
    I agree 100% Delphi

Leave a comment:

• Delphi
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

FYI the triagle you see the refs use is their own equipment, not issued by WST or WPBSA.
    I actually find it very odd that the ref needs to bring his own triangle, why is that not part of the table/rest/extensions and other attributes set?

Leave a comment:

• Londonlad147
    replied
    Once the triangle is placed over the reds it will be adjusted so that the pointer will be at the centre of the back spot, and the back of the 'triangle' is flush with the top cushion. It should then just be a matter of gently rolling the triangle forward until the pointer points to the pink spot. Assuming the spots are properly marked then that should mean that the back of the reds is also parallel to the top cushion.

Sometimes I've found that the pointer is out of alignment with the pink spot, but a further attempt usually does the job!

Leave a comment:

• DeanH
    replied
    correct, the tool is there but the ref must ensure the alignment is right before lifting the triangle

As referees have worked their way up from the lower and local tournaments, and often do personal jobs at non-official events to earn a few shekels, the triangle is a must have in their personal kit list
    Last edited by DeanH; 5 June 2020, 08:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• snooker_bhoy
    replied
    Originally Posted by DeanH View Post

To illustrate here is a photo that shows the indicator clearly.
    As you probably have seen the referee pushes the triangle into the cushion to ensure the reds will be parallel with it when in place.
    The indicator is also used to align with the Black spot to line up with the middle of the table.
    To hep not pivot the pack as you move the pack from the cushion into position, the triangle has rollers underneath, or at least some do, to help withplacement.
    FYI the triagle you see the refs use is their own equipment, not issued by WST or WPBSA.

Thanks Dean

So really the ref should be checking that the centre red in the 5th row is in line with the blue and black spots. I doubt those rollers when used are 100% indivertible. You would think those triangles should be a standard supplied by the tournament.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X