My right elbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My right elbow

So I've been watching the first of Barry Stark's videos on YouTube to take everything back to the basics - namely holding the cue and having a stable stance.

I've realised my stance comprised of 2 bendy bouncy knees. I'm now working on a straight left leg and a slightly bent right leg and...would you believe it, much more solid, who knew... Feels a bit weird but I know it's much better.

Now holding the cue, my cue is 58.5 inches long, I might find I need longer but that ain't happening anytime soon. So, I'll work on cueing space and distance from the cue ball. And putting your chest against the cue... Wow, I feel like it's cheating lol

Now, my right elbow (yes that is a mahoosive bruise, I had an arguement with a heavy ladder. It won.) seems to be staying exactly where it is from start to finish, no drop at all really. Talk to me oh snooker gurus, talk to me. Cheers.

Attached Files
    Starts
    13 June 2020
    Ends
    13 June 2020
    Practice, Learn, Improve, Enjoy, Practice, Learn, Improve, Enjoy :snooker:

I am not a coach - I believe not everyone drops their elbow on delivery or should - I don't as when I tried it once it started to hurt (when a coach tried to get me to do it).
    I hope you are not saying you think you should drop your elbow, if you are, why?

I look forward to the coaches comments
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I've just watched a Barry Stark video on it, he says if your elbow stays still and it works for you then go with it. But, you will get more control if your elbow drops and you drive the cue through, keeping contact with the cue ball a fraction longer. Apparently. So if you can do it and it suits you then do it I guess. I'll try it anyway, see how it goes.

PS Ronnie does it.:snooker:

Comment

yep give it a try, as I did bit I gave it up as it was painful and I was concentrating on trying to remember to drop the elbow that it completely ruined my game
        good luck to you
        OK Ronnie does it, but remember many other pros do not, Hendry did not (IIRC)
        so if it does not work for you remember that and that Mr Stark himself said that is ok to
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Never mind the elbow! The first thing I noticed was the 6” gap between chin and cue.!

Right arm I would say is starting slightly too far back but not bad and the left arm wants to be stretched out further with just a slight bend. That cue could be too small?? You look too compact??

For me on a standard shot my arm is just back of square to the floor and I have about a hand gap between the tip of my finger and the cue ball.
          Last edited by Danger Steve; 13 June 2020, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Next observation... on the back swing your fingers should unfurl from the butt, you seem to be gripping too tight and it looks to be putting your wrist in a funny position and your compensating by dropping the elbow slightly on the back swing?

As a right handed player I would say the stance should be right leg straight somewhere on the line of the shot with your left leg out in front just over shoulder width apart. So if you take a clock for example and 12 o’clock is the direction of the shot, my legs would be right leg 6 o’clock and left leg 8/9 o’clock
            Last edited by Danger Steve; 13 June 2020, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Difficult to make an observation because of the pieces of 2 by 4 in two of the pictures, which stance is the usual ? no need to drop the upper arm at all, Hendry didn't and Trump and Robertson don't either.
              Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
              but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

Originally Posted by Danger Steve View Post
                Never mind the elbow! The first thing I noticed was the 6” gap between chin and cue.!

Right arm I would say is starting slightly too far back but not bad and the left arm wants to be stretched out further with just a slight bend. That cue could be too small?? You look too compact??

For me on a standard shot my arm is just back of square to the floor and I have about a hand gap between the tip of my finger and the cue ball.
                Can't get that low, it's too late lol

I'll try the other points, cheers.

Comment

Originally Posted by vmax View Post
                  Difficult to make an observation because of the pieces of 2 by 4 in two of the pictures, which stance is the usual ? no need to drop the upper arm at all, Hendry didn't and Trump and Robertson don't either.
                  The timber takes the height to the correct height of a rail on a full sized table. As I say, I'll try the elbow drop a few times see what happens. Cheers.

Comment

Next observation... on the back swing your fingers should unfurl from the butt, you seem to be gripping too tight and it looks to be putting your wrist in a funny position and your compensating by dropping the elbow slightly on the back swing?

As a right handed player I would say the stance should be right leg straight somewhere on the line of the shot with your left leg out in front just over shoulder width apart. So if you take a clock for example and 12 o’clock is the direction of the shot, my legs would be right leg 6 o’clock and left leg 8/9 o’clock
                    I normally unfurl my fingers, let's just say that moments before the pictures were taken something wound me up...

I'll another look at my stance, cheers.:encouragement:

Comment

I love Barry’s videos, especially just before bed time! Aaaahhh night night zzzzz Seriously though they are pretty good. I think some latch onto the arm drop because Ronnie does it, I’ve tried it myself and it feels a bit alien!

Comment

I love Barry’s videos, especially just before bed time! Aaaahhh night night zzzzz Seriously though they are pretty good. I think some latch onto the arm drop because Ronnie does it, I’ve tried it myself and it feels a bit alien!
                        I like his videos too, I'll stick with them. :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                          yep give it a try, as I did bit I gave it up as it was painful and I was concentrating on trying to remember to drop the elbow that it completely ruined my game
                          good luck to you
                          OK Ronnie does it, but remember many other pros do not, Hendry did not (IIRC)
                          so if it does not work for you remember that and that Mr Stark himself said that is ok to
                          Exactly. Ronnie is the Jimi Hendrix of snooker let us not forget.

Comment

Barry's videos are good but i like the videos of our member here even more, and in one of his latest he talks about the 'elbow drop'.

Comment

I only ever dip my elbow when playing power shots really
                              Maximus Legend Plus : Ebony butt with Ovangkol front wedge and thick maple veneer : Premium ash shaft : Tip 9.45 mm Talisman Trinity Soft, length 58″, weight 18.4 oz, butt diameter 29.4 mm, balance 18″

Comment

Working...
                              X