No announcement yet.

Touching balls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In answer to the original question, if there is a situation where it is impossible to play a legal shot, eg, the cue-ball is in the middle of - and touching - three balls, this is covered in the rules.

A miss will not be called but penalty points will still be awarded if "a situation exists where it is impossible to hit the ball on. In the latter case it must be assumed the striker is attempting to hit the ball on provided that they play, directly or indirectly, at the ball on with sufficient strength, in the referee’s opinion, to have reached the ball on but for the obstructing ball or balls."
    http://www.snooker-coach.co.uk

Comment

Originally Posted by snookerdad View Post
      In answer to the original question, if there is a situation where it is impossible to play a legal shot, eg, the cue-ball is in the middle of - and touching - three balls, this is covered in the rules.

A miss will not be called but penalty points will still be awarded if "a situation exists where it is impossible to hit the ball on. In the latter case it must be assumed the striker is attempting to hit the ball on provided that they play, directly or indirectly, at the ball on with sufficient strength, in the referee’s opinion, to have reached the ball on but for the obstructing ball or balls."
      Thank you.

Comment

fkhan said...................

"The first red is touching the top of the cue ball and the second red is touching the bottom part of the cue ball".

I am totally confused by this, all of the balls are the same size within a gnats doodah anyway, so how can that statement be true? The cue ball can be touching any other ball but it will always be at more or less the same height (within said gnats doodah) off the table surface and, at any point around the circumference of the ball.

Please forgive this almost 80 year old numpty if I have missed something glaringly obvious here :redface:

Comment

He means 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock on the cue ball as looked from above. Not different heights from the baize!

so say the cue ball happens to be on the blue spot. One red is touching inline with the brown spot and another red is touching inline with the pink spot. (I think)

Are you a Rangers supporter?
          Last edited by snooker_bhoy; 27 June 2020, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker_bhoy View Post
            He means 12 o’clock and 6 o’clock on the cue ball as looked from above. Not different heights from the baize!

so say the cue ball happens to be on the blue spot. One red is touching inline with the brown spot and another red is touching inline with the pink spot. (I think)

What he said.

Comment

Originally Posted by snooker_bhoy View Post

Ah, got it now, thank you.

Nothing as classy as Rangers I'm afraid. I've been a Birmingham supporter since 1947 (73 years) with all of the ups and downs that that entails. Can't change my loyalties now.

Comment

Aah, good work! Gotta stick with your team!
                Take care, Ollie

Comment

Working...
                X